Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to Buy Good, Affordable Euphonium

1. Looking to Buy Good, Affordable Euphonium

Hi,
    I am a high school student who plays the euphonium in band and as a hobby. I am looking for an affordable compensating euphonium with good intonation, sound, and durability to buy before I graduate. So far I am most interested in the JP247 and Wessex Dolce.
    Does anyone have any experiences with either of these horns?
    I have heard nothing but good things about the JP247, but am wondering if the Wessex would be a worthy way to save a couple hundred dollars.

2. If you have an other euphonium model to recommend, please do.

Personally, between those two models, I’d choose the JP274. All of our euphonium-playing music majors at my local college play on them. They are a great value.

They seem to be a bit hard to come by as of late (at least in the US).
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

In addition to the instruents you mentioned, also consider the compensating euphonium at musicstore.com. From a financial point of view it is the best buy. Mack Brass is also a good vendor. The two vendors I just mentioned sell instruments based on the Jin Bao 1150, which is nominally a Yamaha clone. I believe they are also quite similar to the Wessex Dolce.

I believe Wessex and Mack Brass help support this web page, and that's worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by massmanute View Post
    I believe Wessex and Mack Brass help support this web page, and that's worth considering.
    For the record, Wessex has been a long-time supporter of the site. So far Mack Brass has not responded to my invitation.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

6. Thank you for your comments. I am a little concerned about how Jin Bao horns would sound

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Roberts View Post
    Thank you for your comments. I am a little concerned about how Jin Bao horns would sound
    Quality control on Chinese stencils has only improved over the years. Overall they play good for the money. Buying new also comes with the benefit of having a couple of years of warranty from the manufacturer.

If value retention is of concern, I would advise to not buy a Chinese instrument but to save up for a more professional grade of euphonium.

Just my 2 cents.
    Music educator - Brass Instruments Enthusiast - Euphonium Player
    2019 Besson Sovereign 967T-2 - Alliance DC3

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Roberts View Post
    Thank you for your comments. I am a little concerned about how Jin Bao horns would sound
    Lots of folks play on them. Schiller, Thomann, Mack Brass, Monzani, Raidiant Brass are all Jinbao stencils (and many others, like Wessex, leverage Jinbao as well).

I've had hands on (and owned) both the lacquer and silver-plate version of the Monzani (https://www.musicstore.com/en_OE/EUR...BLA0002559-000). My recommendation would be the lacquer.

The last one I had hands on had much better threading on the valve caps. Note, compared to last year, these are actually now CHEAPER! (MZEP-1150L was $699 shipped to the US last year. Now it is only $678!)

I personally think they sound great.
    Last edited by iMav; 12-01-2023 at 07:56 AM.
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

It's a bit surprising that Mack Brass didn't respond. I just bought a tuba and euphonium from them. Tom's wife spoke highly of you and the website.
    David Smith

Quote Originally Posted by hsmhp View Post
    It's a bit surprising that Mack Brass didn't respond. I just bought a tuba and euphonium from them. Tom's wife spoke highly of you and the website.
    There has been some conversations on Facebook recently regarding a lack of response from Mack Brass. (slowing down for the holidays, perhaps?)
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast