Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Receiver bits for Hirsbrunner euphonium

1. Receiver bits for Hirsbrunner euphonium

Hello all,

I have a Hirsbrunner HBS 378 euphonium circa 1999. It did not come with any receiver bits. I assume the bit adapters are large, medium, small shank? Are these available? I've only seen a small shank bit on eBay.

Thanks,

Josh
    Josh Chenier
    Euphonium - Hirsbrunner HBS 378
    Bass Trombone - Vincent Bach Stradivarius Model 50

I was going to suggest eBay.

Perhaps Peter has some laying around and can hook you up??

contact@hirsbrunner.com
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    Valley City State University Jazz Ensemble

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

iMav is correct, contact Hirsbrunner directly; this is what I did 7 years ago. I needed two, as there was already one (small) screwed in the leadpipe. I assume it is the same with your horn, otherwise you would not be able to insert a mouthpiece at all. You'll only have to find out which one is already installed and which other two you'll need.

At the time (2016) it cost me €65,- (€25,- per piece, plus shipping).
    Last edited by MarChant; 06-24-2023 at 07:56 AM.

4. Thanks all. I actually took.a second look and realized at some point the lead pipe was replaced. It doesn't have the little nubs on the end to add or remove a bit so.moot point for me. Ah well.

5. Hey Martin,

I don't think my horn has any bit in it (there's not nubs on the end) but it does take a large shank mouthpiece (I use a Shilke 51D). Does the small, medium bit etc screw into the lead pipe then the mouthpiece into the bit?

Quote Originally Posted by jcemu07 View Post
    I don't think my horn has any bit in it (there's not nubs on the end) but it does take a large shank mouthpiece (I use a Shilke 51D). Does the small, medium bit etc screw into the lead pipe then the mouthpiece into the bit?
    That is how I remember the system. If the receiver is set up for bits, you would have one for the large shank. Because you don't see the 2 knobs, then yours is a standard large-shank receiver with no bit threads.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Hey Martin,

Yes, my horn has a threaded Leadpipe into which you can screw one of three receiver bits. The mouthpiece then goes into the bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	313341603_5220238164753407_2811839171149407198_n.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	497.4 KB 
ID:	10650

8. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    That is how I remember the system. If the receiver is set up for bits, you would have one for the large shank. Because you don't see the 2 knobs, then yours is a standard large-shank receiver with no bit threads.
    Thanks Dave. Do you know if Hirsbrunner made HBS's with a standard large-shank receiver with no bit threads? I am wondering if the receiver on my horn is original or was replaced by a previous owner.
    Josh Chenier
    Euphonium - Hirsbrunner HBS 378
    Bass Trombone - Vincent Bach Stradivarius Model 50

Thanks Dave. Do you know if Hirsbrunner made HBS's with a standard large-shank receiver with no bit threads? I am wondering if the receiver on my horn is original or was replaced by a previous owner.
    It's been a lot of years since I was regularly testing Hirsbrunners, but I'm 98% sure that some were made at the factory with a standard large shank receiver like yours. I think the threaded bit system was an extra-cost option, and some customers preferred the more "pure" non-threaded receiver.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

10. Well I took a shot and emailed Peter Hirsbrunner. He replied that he doesn't have the adapters or receiver but can organize them to ship out ($100 USD). I assume the receiver would be needed for my 378 that has the lead pipe with no bit threads. Thanks for the knowledge everyone. I greatly appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast