Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wessex Sinfonico - Reviewed with Pictures and Videos

1. Thanks for all of the recordings. Those are most helpful for not just hearing the tone of the instrument, but as nice playing examples as well. I may have noticed a couple examples where adjacent notes were maybe a little inconsistent sounding maybe in the Bb-F range above the bass clef staff. Did you feel any notes were of a slightly different character than the rest?

Quote Originally Posted by hyperbolica View Post
    Thanks for all of the recordings. Those are most helpful for not just hearing the tone of the instrument, but as nice playing examples as well. I may have noticed a couple examples where adjacent notes were maybe a little inconsistent sounding maybe in the Bb-F range above the bass clef staff. Did you feel any notes were of a slightly different character than the rest?
    It seems on good horns that there are certain notes that just resonate and "sound particularly good". I notice several of these notes in the lower part of the Bb scale, with the bottom note being the concert Bb in the staff. On notes you refer to above the staff, I guess I really didn't notice too much difference in the character/timbre of the notes. That could have been me changing dynamics or the CamCorder not picking up my dynamics (or overpicking them up). Not sure, but wasn't aware of a change in timbre. Sometimes notes can just resonate and sound different/off depending on the acoustics of the room you are recording in.

The longer I played the Sinfonico, the more I got settled in with it. I played it surely more than 10 hours. And each time I re-played a piece that I had just played a little earlier, it seemed to settle in and sound better. That was me getting used to the horn and trying to make it sound as good as I could.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, Wessex EP-100 Dolce Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Wessex TE-360 Bombino Eb Tuba
    Rapid City New Horizons & Municipal Bands (Euphonium)
    Black Hills Symphony Orchestra (Bass Trombone), Powder River Symphony, Gillette, WY (Tenor Trombone)
    Black Hills Brass Quintet (Tuba)

Quote Originally Posted by miketeachesclass View Post
    That horn sounds very nice indeed.

When I played the prototype, I thought it felt like it leaned heavily toward Willson/Hirsbrunner/Miraphone in terms of concept of sound; it sounds like you agree.

It's really incredible what you can get for 1/3 the cost of a new British/German horn. There may be a longevity issue, but if I had a "serious" high school student, or was a "serious" college student on a budget, I wouldn't think twice about recommending one of these. The wessex is about $300 more than a yamaha 321 non-compensating horn.
    Yes, Mike, I would agree with that as far as the concept of sound. And I haven't played a horn with an 11" bell before, so this was my first experience with that.

I also found it incredible that I got a Dolce for about $1,200 several years ago when my Adams was being made at 10 times the cost!! Still have the Dolce and it serves me well when needed.
    John Morgan
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, Wessex EP-100 Dolce Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium
    Black Hills Symphony Orchestra (Bass Trombone), Powder River Symphony, Gillette, WY (Tenor Trombone)

Thank you John for the fine review and video clips.... Sinfonico sounds like a very interesting euphonium in its own right.

How would you contrast Sinfonico's tone and its other playing characteristics with your E3?

Would be wonderful if you could record some of the same material on your E3... I realize that we are talking about totally different price points, yet I'd be very interested in gaging the tonal difference between the two horns.

Regards, Guido
    Euph - Wessex EP104 Festivo - SM4U, 4AL
    Flugel - Kanstul 1525
    Trpt - Adams A4 LB
    Bb Cornet -Carolbrass CCR-7772R-GSS
    Eb Cornet - Carolbrass CCR-7775-GSS

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Thank you John for the fine review and video clips.... Sinfonico sounds like a very interesting euphonium in its own right.

How would you contrast Sinfonico's tone and its other playing characteristics with your E3?

Would be wonderful if you could record some of the same material on your E3... I realize that we are talking about totally different price points, yet I'd be very interested in gaging the tonal difference between the two horns.

Regards, Guido
    Well, I will have to remotivate (is that a word?) myself to get the gear out and record with the Adams. I might give that a stab and play a few of the same tunes, especially the slow ones where you can really hear the horn. On a couple of the fast ones I recorded with the Sinfonicio, the low notes came out kind of brackish (if that is a word?). I don't think the horn sounds quite that way in person, just how the Sinfonico got picked up on the mic.

So if you don't see me put something up after a couple of weeks, give me a nudge. Probably all I need.
    John Morgan

Hello John, "remotivate" must be a perfectly good word because my spell checker has not objected to my typing it here

I am so looking forward to the result of your upcoming "remotivated" recording session on E3... And yes, doing the more lyrical pieces would be perfect! …. And, no pressure at all at all at all.... Really *Grins!*

BTW, who is coming up next on the Sinfonico travelling eval show?

Regards, Guido
    Euph - Wessex EP104 Festivo - SM4U, 4AL
    Flugel - Kanstul 1525
    Trpt - Adams A4 LB
    Bb Cornet -Carolbrass CCR-7772R-GSS
    Eb Cornet - Carolbrass CCR-7775-GSS

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Hello John, "remotivate" must be a perfectly good word because my spell checker has not objected to my typing it here

I am so looking forward to the result of your upcoming "remotivated" recording session on E3... And yes, doing the more lyrical pieces would be perfect! …. And, no pressure at all at all at all.... Really *Grins!*

BTW, who is coming up next on the Sinfonico travelling eval show?

Regards, Guido
    Guido,

At the risk of prematurely revealing the identity of the next reviewer, I can only say that the three remaining reviewers have first name initials of D, D, and J (in alphabetical order). If you assign the letters an ordinal number, then take the cardinal reciprocal of each, multiply by the inverse of the day of the week it will be tomorrow, expressed as a number from the start of the current year plus half the square root of the number of beads in an abacus, then rotate the answer and pick the highest one, you will have the first initial of the first name of the next reviewer. If you are able to ascertain that, I can provide further instructions for more letters, but it gets complicated...

Hint: The initial is quite similar to my first name initial.
    John Morgan

Thank you for the review John and the great videos.

My Dolce also has the main tuning slide water valve the “wrong way” round to what I have previously been used to. Is your Dolce not like this?

Interesting that there is no lyre holder. I hadn’t noticed this when looking at photos.

Regarding sound. It does have a nice sound but having listened to your recordings on my TV surround speakers I’m still finding the Dolce has the nicer sound. Perhaps it’s just because you were slightly further away from the mic when playing the Dolce?

Interesting to see some of the comments regarding Chinese instruments and their longevity. I remember when people used to say the same about Japanese instruments. Funny how things change.

Thanks again and I’m looking forward to the other 3 reviews.
    Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick SM3 Ultra mouthpiece.

9. Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    It seems on good horns that there are certain notes that just resonate and "sound particularly good". I notice several of these notes in the lower part of the Bb scale, with the bottom note being the concert Bb in the staff. On notes you refer to above the staff, I guess I really didn't notice too much difference in the character/timbre of the notes. That could have been me changing dynamics or the CamCorder not picking up my dynamics (or overpicking them up). Not sure, but wasn't aware of a change in timbre. Sometimes notes can just resonate and sound different/off depending on the acoustics of the room you are recording in.

The longer I played the Sinfonico, the more I got settled in with it. I played it surely more than 10 hours. And each time I re-played a piece that I had just played a little earlier, it seemed to settle in and sound better. That was me getting used to the horn and trying to make it sound as good as I could.
    I'm a trombone player, so I'm used to the timbre changing a little with each partial. I'm still getting used to some of the finer points of euph playing, and the timbre can change with partials and with valve circuits. Alternate fingerings and alternate positions are not always used for the same reasons, which also gets a little confusing when you're trying to learn how to play a valve instrument with no pitch adjustment in tune.

I have owned the Dolce, and currently use a Festivo. The Sinfonico really sounds great in a real player's hands. I think the 11" bell really helps lend some clarity to both the Festivo and the Sinfonico.Thanks so much for the recordings. Also looking forward to hearing your Adams recordings, especially as I'll probably never get the opportunity Eager to hear the rest as well.
    Last edited by hyperbolica; 06-08-2021 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DEF1 View Post
    Thank you for the review John and the great videos.

My Dolce also has the main tuning slide water valve the “wrong way” round to what I have previously been used to. Is your Dolce not like this?

Interesting that there is no lyre holder. I hadn’t noticed this when looking at photos.

Regarding sound. It does have a nice sound but having listened to your recordings on my TV surround speakers I’m still finding the Dolce has the nicer sound. Perhaps it’s just because you were slightly further away from the mic when playing the Dolce?

Interesting to see some of the comments regarding Chinese instruments and their longevity. I remember when people used to say the same about Japanese instruments. Funny how things change.

Thanks again and I’m looking forward to the other 3 reviews.
    I just checked my Dolce and the main tuning slide water key points in the opposite direction (what I am used to) of the 1st and 3rd water keys. But I bought that Dolce over 5 years ago. The piece where I am playing the Dolce (Morceau Symphonique) was indeed recorded a bit further away from the mic, AND I recorded that piece several times to try to get the very best sound and performance that I could. The pieces I recorded on the Sinfonico were basically just done in one sitting (standing I guess is the better word as I was standing!) and one take only. I tried to play my best, but they are the result of just one pass. And when I put the pieces together to get rid of the first and last part of each snippet, that worked pretty well until I deleted the last phrase of Danny Boy. But I had all my stuff put away by then, so I just left it as is.
    John Morgan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast