Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: The Mouthpiece size arms race

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    192
    One of my fellow euph players in one of my bands actually went down in size from a 3AL to a 4AL, mostly because it was just that much easier to play on. With the 3AL he had this HUGE, loud sound that would carry over literally everything, but what good does that if you struggle with other things?

    I myself am constantly switching between an SM4 and a 5AL, depending on how in shape I am. If I haven't played for a while - like I haven't played for almost 2 months now, oops - I will play on my 5AL. It's trusty, it's secure, still has that deep cup and large bore, but it's not AS big as an SM4, so I can build up my strength again. I do actually prefer the SM4 in terms of feel, sound and playing, but if I'm out of shape and can't handle it, why even force myself to, right?
    Euphoniums
    Willson 2960TA Celebration
    Mouthpiece: Denis Wick 5AL
    1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Globe Stamp)
    Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
    Baritone
    1975 Besson New Standard
    Mouthpiece: Denis Wick 6BS

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Varese,Italy
    Posts
    180
    Over the years I have moved on to using larger and larger mouthpieces, going from the 24,7mm of the Bach 7C when I started with the euphonium, to the current 27,7/27mm of the K&G 1D and 3D, which is the size that best suits me on the 2052 Besson Prestige. I wanted to go up the largest size of the K&G mouthpieces, the 0D, 28,5mm, but I was no able to focus the sound and was lacking in the upper register. On the trombone and baritone, however, going beyond 26mm (K&G4C) is, for me, counterproductive and, comparing it with the most trombone and baritone players, it is already a large size. I have found that a larger size of the rim allows the vibration of a larger portion of the lips and allows me a better sound quality which, however, requires a strong and trained lip musculature.
    Besson Prestige 2052,3D K&G mouthpiece;JP373 baritone,T4C K&G mouthpiece;Bach 42GO trombone,T4C K&G mouthpiece

  3. #13
    Certainly an individualís musculature has something to do with this. Iím currently playing a K&G 3.5D (feels like a wick 4 size) after having played a Doug elliott 106 for most of the last year, and a K&G 3D for a year before that.

    Iím finding that the slightly smaller diameter allows me to focus the sound in a characteristic way, and Iím not working so hard.

    Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post
    Over the years I have moved on to using larger and larger mouthpieces, going from the 24,7mm of the Bach 7C when I started with the euphonium, to the current 27,7/27mm of the K&G 1D and 3D, which is the size that best suits me on the 2052 Besson Prestige. I wanted to go up the largest size of the K&G mouthpieces, the 0D, 28,5mm, but I was no able to focus the sound and was lacking in the upper register. On the trombone and baritone, however, going beyond 26mm (K&G4C) is, for me, counterproductive and, comparing it with the most trombone and baritone players, it is already a large size. I have found that a larger size of the rim allows the vibration of a larger portion of the lips and allows me a better sound quality which, however, requires a strong and trained lip musculature.
    Mike Taylor

    Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by miketeachesclass View Post
    Certainly an individualís musculature has something to do with this. Iím currently playing a K&G 3.5D (feels like a wick 4 size) after having played a Doug elliott 106 for most of the last year, and a K&G 3D for a year before that.

    Iím finding that the slightly smaller diameter allows me to focus the sound in a characteristic way, and Iím not working so hard.
    For me, it's the opposite. My jaw, teeth and lips worth best together when playing a mouthpiece of the Wick 3 diameter. I started small, as did most everybody of my age (71), and progressed from 6 1/2 AL < Shilke 52E2 < 51D < SM4 < SM3/SM3U - Heritage 3AL - Alliance DC2 - Alliance E2. Along the way I tried a lot of others, but these are the ones I stuck with and played seriously. I can't make anything narrower work with my chops, because when they're fully warmed up and I'm playing strong my high range suffers with anything narrower than the Wick 3 size. Anything wider and my high range suffers again. So the wick 3 size is the goldilocks size for me.

    After a Covid year of light playing, I'm working to build my high chops and endurance back, as the brass choir I'm in hopes to restart in May or June. I'm using the Alliance E2 (which is Wick 3 size), because for a while now I just like my sound the best on that MP. My secondary choice would probably be the original SM3, a great MP unfortunately eclipsed by a famous player's penchant for changing every few years and marketing against the last version.

    Depth, cup style and rim design are important too. I've found some MPs to be too shallow, like the Demondrae Thurman Warburton. I don't like pure funnel designs like the Lehman or Gail Robertson Warburton. I could have happily lived with the SM3U, but it's rim got too uncomfortable on long playing sessions. I find the Alliance E2 very much like an improved SM3U. The most unplayable MP for me was the Bowman BB1, but many pinnacle players use that piece.

    As a guy who posted on the trombone forum used to write, "try everything and use what works."
    Last edited by JTJ; 04-18-2021 at 11:42 AM.

  5. #15
    Hmm, to reply to myself, I left out bore size. Too open and I start to sound tubaish; too closed, too tromboney. But everyone is different.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
    For me, it's the opposite. My jaw, teeth and lips worth best together when playing a mouthpiece of the Wick 3 diameter. I started small, as did most everybody of my age (71), and progressed from 6 1/2 AL < Shilke 52E2 < 51D < SM4 < SM3/SM3U - Heritage 3AL - Alliance DC2 - Alliance E2. Along the way I tried a lot of others, but these are the ones I stuck with and played seriously. I can't make anything narrower work with my chops, because when they're fully warmed up and I'm playing strong my high range suffers with anything narrower than the Wick 3 size. Anything wider and my high range suffers again. So the wick 3 size is the goldilocks size for me.
    Absolutely - again, physiology makes a difference.

    I played a BB1 for a long time, but looking back, it wasn't a good piece for me. I just didn't know enough to figure that out.

    The Alliance E2 does feel more comfortable to me than the SM3U. I played the original SM3 for quite a while also, but something about the articulation on that piece didn't work well for me.


    Quote Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
    As a guy who posted on the trombone forum used to write, "try everything and use what works."
    I've definitely subscribed to this!
    Mike Taylor

    Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •