Thread: Conn Constellation 25i

Conn Constellation 25i

After 50 years hiatus, I finally started to play the Euphonium (and other brass instruments) again. I bought a new Besson Prestige 2052, but i am trying to find the Euphonium i used to play when i was going to major in music. It was a Conn Constellation upright and i believe it was a 25i. I saw one a few months ago but did not act quick enough. If anyone knows one in good condition being sold, i would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

2. There appears to be one on Ebay right now. However, I would never buy from that seller unless you understand the condition will be grossly misrepresented. My horn came from there and required a record amount of repairs, the worst of which was a huge hole in the leadpipe covered with silver tape to conceal it. I avoid that seller now. Too bad because they frequently have something I'm interested in. Best of luck to you in your search.
    Richard

1935 Conn 64I Baritone
    Mouthpieces: Too many to list and growing

I assume this is the horn Richard mentioned:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CG-Conn-Con...r/264571108702

I really like the Connstellation and will always list good samples when I see them. I chose not to list this one because it looks pretty rough. I could be restored (including finding a making the trigger piece that's missing), but with a price approaching $1k, this one seemed a bit overpriced considering the cost of fixing it up.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC4)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I did see that one a while ago and did not want to pursue it. I did not even realize it was a 25i. I will continue to look. I am actually have a Conn Constellation forward facing bell also (have to look up the model number). I find that when i play the Besson, a lot of notes are out of tune even though i have been practicing for over 2 years now at least 2 hours a day. I have not had a chance to play with any band yet. In fact, i was scheduled to play with my first band last March. Guess what came up! I do get frustrated trying to play in tune. I did find that i seem to be more in tune with the old Conn. Back in the 60's (my high school and college days), i used a smaller bored horn and definitely could play in tune and had the ability to hit high notes (high C above high C). With the Besson i struggle a few notes past E above C! I got a Bach Bass Trumpet and definitely have an easier time with high notes (although i doubt i ever get the range i used to have). I will continue to look and also hope that the bands here in Orlando start to play again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I assume this is the horn Richard mentioned:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CG-Conn-Con...r/264571108702

I really like the Connstellation and will always list good samples when I see them. I chose not to list this one because it looks pretty rough. I could be restored (including finding a making the trigger piece that's missing), but with a price approaching $1k, this one seemed a bit overpriced considering the cost of fixing it up.
    I took a look at that horn. The seller says among other things: "...but overall it is in really nice shape..." Really??!! That horn is a beater, and Dave was charitable in saying that "it looked pretty rough". Some things just plain amaze me. At $959 you could pay a few hundred more and get a brand new Wessex Dolce or an ACB Doubler. I don't understand why anyone would buy this horn at all, unless they wanted this exact horn and planned to restore it.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, Wessex EP-100 Dolce Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Wessex TE-360 Bombino Eb Tuba
    Rapid City New Horizons & Municipal Bands (Euphonium)
    Black Hills Symphony Orchestra (Bass Trombone), Powder River Symphony, Gillette, WY (Tenor Trombone)
    Black Hills Brass Quintet (Tuba)