Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Mouthpiece for JP274

  1. Mouthpiece for JP274

    Hi All,

    I recently tested a few horns at a local store. I brought a couple of mouthpieces with me, including a Schilke 51D. I noticed that the Shires Q41 loved that mouthpiece. I loved that horn but can't justify spending $6000. The JP274 really didn't like that mouthpiece with some trouble centering some notes, especially those above high C treble clef.

    Just curious, what have you found to work well with a JP274? I should also say the Wick 4AL is a little large for me. Those are the only two large shank mouthpieces I own right now.

    Thanks.
    Richard

    1935 Conn 64I Baritone
    Mouthpieces: Too many to list and growing

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Summerville (SC)
    Posts
    218
    Hello Richard, I wonder if your store perhaps might have a smattering of MPs of different brands/models around for testing... If they keep them well sanitized they might be available for play-testing with the Packer 274...

    Furthermore, there should be a Shires 5MB, which is made by Pickett, somewhere inside the Q41 case. You could test it on 274, and on the Shires itself, although I appreciate that Q41 is not in the game.

    Other forum members, with actual experience with Packer euphos, might have better ideas than mine.

    Saluti, Guido
    Euph - Wessex EP104 Festivo - SM4U, 4AL
    Flugel - Kanstul 1525
    Trpt - Adams A4 LB
    Bb Cornet -Carolbrass CCR-7772R-GSS
    Eb Cornet - Carolbrass CCR-7775-GSS

  3. Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Hello Richard, I wonder if your store perhaps might have a smattering of MPs of different brands/models around for testing... If they keep them well sanitized they might be available for play-testing with the Packer 274...

    Furthermore, there should be a Shires 5MB, which is made by Pickett, somewhere inside the Q41 case. You could test it on 274, and on the Shires itself, although I appreciate that Q41 is not in the game.

    Other forum members, with actual experience with Packer euphos, might have better ideas than mine.

    Saluti, Guido
    I thought of the same thing last night. I forget that stores have mouthpieces. It has been so long since I've been able to go to a store and shop.

    I also realized that there is probably a mouthpiece in the JP case. Duh. I should have looked at what it was.

    Thanks.
    Richard

    1935 Conn 64I Baritone
    Mouthpieces: Too many to list and growing

  4. #4
    I have a JP274. The mouthpiece that comes with it is similar to a Wick 4AL. This was confirmed by the John Packer company. I actually am using a Wick 3AL with a booster. Maybe the Wick 5AL? I am suggesting it as I have noticed the mouthpiece shank on s Schilke is longer than on a Denis Wick.
    John Packer JP274L Euphonium
    __________________________
    “Don’t only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven

  5. I also have a JP274 and I sure can't see ANY difference (except finish) between the OEM mouthpiece and the Wick 4AL I bought shortly after getting the Packer. I don't plan to buy another mouthpiece. Not smaller, and certainly not larger! That said, IF I decided to work down in size, a 51D seems like as good a choice as any. What another person might consider as a poor match between a particular model of mouthpiece and a model of horn I put down to a lack of acclimation. It simply isn't likely that in less than month or more, that the kinks of intonation, etc. would be fully ironed out.

    If I were the o.p. I would do one, or both of the following: skip 5 series mp's entirely and buy a 6 series mp to experiment with. Bach 6-1/2AL's are particularly plentiful and cloned by a number of labels. Most are small shank so be careful there. The other strategy involves practice, time, and patience with the 4AL until it is mastered, or they write me off as a crackpot, whichever occurs first. The strategies are not mutually exclusive and can be mixed and matched as long as time (and life) persist. Even in the same practice session. Give it at least 2 years before writing me off as a crackpot. Good luck.
    John Packer JP274 MKII S

  6. Quote Originally Posted by leisesturm View Post
    I also have a JP274 and I sure can't see ANY difference (except finish) between the OEM mouthpiece and the Wick 4AL I bought shortly after getting the Packer. I don't plan to buy another mouthpiece. Not smaller, and certainly not larger! That said, IF I decided to work down in size, a 51D seems like as good a choice as any. What another person might consider as a poor match between a particular model of mouthpiece and a model of horn I put down to a lack of acclimation. It simply isn't likely that in less than month or more, that the kinks of intonation, etc. would be fully ironed out.

    If I were the o.p. I would do one, or both of the following: skip 5 series mp's entirely and buy a 6 series mp to experiment with. Bach 6-1/2AL's are particularly plentiful and cloned by a number of labels. Most are small shank so be careful there. The other strategy involves practice, time, and patience with the 4AL until it is mastered, or they write me off as a crackpot, whichever occurs first. The strategies are not mutually exclusive and can be mixed and matched as long as time (and life) persist. Even in the same practice session. Give it at least 2 years before writing me off as a crackpot. Good luck.
    Thanks for all the recommendations. I ordered a 6 1/2C in large shank. I also agree with everything else. The 4AL is an amazing mouthpiece. For me, I wish it were just a bit warmer in sound, something that the 51D has an abundance of. So all is not lost. Once I get the 6 1/2C, I'll be heading back to the store with all these mouthpieces and give it another try.
    Richard

    1935 Conn 64I Baritone
    Mouthpieces: Too many to list and growing

  7. When I played my 274, I had no problems with the 51D. I just decided to get used to the mouthpiece instead of constantly swapping around between my other ones. It’s probably a better fit for my Shires, but it is definitely still usable on the 274.
    1st year @ University of Michigan
    Euphonium Performance

    Shires Q41MS
    Schilke 51D

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Summerville (SC)
    Posts
    218
    Hi Joseph, with apologies to my friend Richard for the moderate derailment of his thread, I noticed that you are now playing a Shires Q41... Thus, I would like to ask you a couple of questions:

    *What made you prefer Shires euphoniums over their established competitors?

    * What made you prefer and adopt Q41 over its Q40 brother?

    * Have you tried the factory-supplied 5MB mouthpiece with your Q41.... How do you like it.... The good/bad/different/etc... And what makes you still prefer 51D on Q41 over 5MB?

    Best, Guido
    Euph - Wessex EP104 Festivo - SM4U, 4AL
    Flugel - Kanstul 1525
    Trpt - Adams A4 LB
    Bb Cornet -Carolbrass CCR-7772R-GSS
    Eb Cornet - Carolbrass CCR-7775-GSS

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    NYC metro area
    Posts
    407
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard III View Post
    Thanks for all the recommendations. I ordered a 6 1/2C in large shank. I also agree with everything else. The 4AL is an amazing mouthpiece. For me, I wish it were just a bit warmer in sound, something that the 51D has an abundance of. So all is not lost. Once I get the 6 1/2C, I'll be heading back to the store with all these mouthpieces and give it another try.
    Did you mean to get the 6-1/2AL? The AL has a cup shape generally considered good for euphonium. While I recall seeing 6-1/2A in the catalog, I don't recall Bach making a 6-1/2C (I just checked the catalog, and there's no listing for 6-1/2C - perhaps you aren't referring to a Bach mouthpiece?).
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1, Kadja, and DE 101XTG9 mouthpieces
    Bach 36B trombone; pBone; Vincent Bach (from 1971) 6.5AL mouthpiece
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

  10. Quote Originally Posted by dsurkin View Post
    Did you mean to get the 6-1/2AL? The AL has a cup shape generally considered good for euphonium. While I recall seeing 6-1/2A in the catalog, I don't recall Bach making a 6-1/2C (I just checked the catalog, and there's no listing for 6-1/2C - perhaps you aren't referring to a Bach mouthpiece?).
    My mental spell checker didn't work on that one. 6 1/2AL is what I ordered and just got. Blessing, not Bach. Don't like paying the premium price of a Bach.
    Richard

    1935 Conn 64I Baritone
    Mouthpieces: Too many to list and growing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •