Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB: Used Compensating Euphonium

1. Because it is not a sovereign, but rather a new standard, you may be able to negotiate down a bit.

There seems to be at least one dent in the leadpipe, and a couple of dings coming out of the third valve, that will most likely require some attention. Photos may have misled me, but I don't think so.
    Last edited by Snorlax; 12-05-2020 at 11:11 PM.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meters)
    Yamaha 642-II Neo, Wedge 103E, SM3.5
    Yamaha 321, Yamaha 621 Baritone
    Conn 50H trombone
    Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

3. bump because I have more money and the deal fell through

4. Quote Originally Posted by IPlayEuph View Post
    bump because I have more money and the deal fell through
    This looks really nice.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Euphonium-B...-/143876821755
    Last edited by davewerden; 12-16-2020 at 01:26 PM.

5. I don't know how I feel about this. I just checked, and the Craigslist Besson is still listed for sale. That could mean something or nothing. But for the sake of anyone else in this situation. Think about it. As bad as a new stencil horn could be ... could they really be worse than a horn so well used that it is listed for sale as 'fair'? One has to wonder how well the valves work. In the Horn world I come from, the (lack of) ability of worn out valves to direct air under pressure through the slides is a very important buyer beware point. Low brass do not seem to dwell on this parameter as much, but it surely must matter. A new stencil horn with tight, well sealing, pistons is surely much easier to play in general, and in the upper octaves in particular. Dents in the main bugle might be mainly cosmetic but dents on the slides themselves do alter intonation and playability.

I really would offer congratulations to someone who bought a Besson Sovereign in great condition for $2K+ to $3K+. I might point out the existence of top tier stencil horns like the JP 'Sterling' 374. But that is a minor quibble. Someone buying a Besson or B&H, even Miraphone for that kind of money is getting a solid, time tested work of quality manufacture. When such an instrument is so neglected, or abused, that it winds up for sale 'as is' for the same price as a new Mack Brass 1150 ... well, IMO at that point it's a no brainer. Buy the stencil horn and call it very good.
    John Packer JP274 MKII S

6. The deal fell out because they wouldn't let me play on it before I could pay for it, I'm not going to purchase a random 50 year old horn on Craigslist without making sure it works.

I am not going to buy a stencil horn.

The reason I'm even in the market for a 20-40 year old horn is the fact it even lasts that long. Especially when horns like mack, wessex, and jinbao barely last 2. I'm buying a horn that I know won't immediately fall apart in 2 years versus one that'll just a need a few repairs
    Last edited by IPlayEuph; 12-16-2020 at 06:16 PM.

I don't blame people for not allowing play-testing of horns. Have to treat even in-person deals like online remote deals, because sanitizing a horn over and over -- PROPER sanitizing -- may be unrealistic for many owners selling their horns.

As for old horns... my Besson New Standard from 1978 is a great little horn, is it dented, yes, but I love the sound and even my technician said it plays great and the dents aren't compromising it.

Wow I think I just talked myself into not selling my Besson (I was intending on selling it along with two other horns I have), but I forgot how much I love that horn. I may not be able to play it much right now but I think I'd rather hold onto it.
    "Thig crioch air an saoghal, ach mairidh gaol is cel."
    "The end (of the world) will come, but love and music live forever."

Euph: Geneva Symphony (4v-comp, trig)
    Euph: Besson New Standard (3v-comp 1978)
    Bari: Wessex BR-140 (3v-comp, lacquer)
    Mpcs: Euph (SM4) Bari (Stork T1)

8. Quote Originally Posted by ametropia View Post
    I don't blame people for not allowing play-testing of horns. Have to treat even in-person deals like online remote deals, because sanitizing a horn over and over -- PROPER sanitizing -- may be unrealistic for many owners selling their horns.

As for old horns... my Besson New Standard from 1978 is a great little horn, is it dented, yes, but I love the sound and even my technician said it plays great and the dents aren't compromising it.

Wow I think I just talked myself into not selling my Besson (I was intending on selling it along with two other horns I have), but I forgot how much I love that horn. I may not be able to play it much right now but I think I'd rather hold onto it.
    And this right here, ladies and gents, is why I'm buying from the used market. They're being bought and kept for a reason. and that reason? Quality. Quality that spans DECADES. I'm happy that you've rekindled your love for you horn ametropia!

9. Quote Originally Posted by IPlayEuph View Post
    And this right here, ladies and gents, is why I'm buying from the used market. They're being bought and kept for a reason. and that reason? Quality. Quality that spans DECADES. I'm happy that you've rekindled your love for you horn ametropia!
    I don't want to sound mean, but ... how is that working for you so far? That seller didn't want you play testing the horn because if you did you wouldn't buy it! They knew that, even if you didn't. It was/is a project horn for a buyer with the skills to refurbish it. The horn listed in post #14 looks (literally) like a better bet but horns always look better in pictures. Always. I would never buy a used horn sight unseen and I would be very suspicious of a seller who didn't expect a buyer to want to play the horn before buying it, Covid or no Covid. I'm not going to try and convince you of anything, but you might want to keep a more open mind on things. A quality horn is only worth your time if it has been well cared for. Don't just jump on anything offered for sale because it is from an old, established manufacturer. I'll check in after two years with my stencil horn to report on how well (or not) it has held up.
    John Packer JP274 MKII S

10. Quote Originally Posted by leisesturm View Post
    I don't want to sound mean, but ... how is that working for you so far? That seller didn't want you play testing the horn because if you did you wouldn't buy it! They knew that, even if you didn't. It was/is a project horn for a buyer with the skills to refurbish it. The horn listed in post #14 looks (literally) like a better bet but horns always look better in pictures. Always. I would never buy a used horn sight unseen and I would be very suspicious of a seller who didn't expect a buyer to want to play the horn before buying it, Covid or no Covid. I'm not going to try and convince you of anything, but you might want to keep a more open mind on things. A quality horn is only worth your time if it has been well cared for. Don't just jump on anything offered for sale because it is from an old, established manufacturer. I'll check in after two years with my stencil horn to report on how well (or not) it has held up.
    It's lovely how much you doubt my preference after only one problem. You do realize that not every vintage horn is a project horn right? You do realize Newer doesn't always equate to better. Right? I'm not immediately jumping on to the first horn I see. I make contact with the seller and see if I can playtest the horn, and guess what? If they are from a reputable seller? I'll buy the horn outright. The fact you can't be comfortable with someone wanting a vintage horn from a reputable brand over a stencil horn is what's peeving me. So how about this? Everybody is different, from their tastes to their opinions. So please, stop trying to tell someone who doesn't want a stencil horn that they should get one anyways.

Kind regards,

IPlayEuph
    Last edited by IPlayEuph; 12-17-2020 at 10:11 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast