Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Hetman # 8

Problem with Hetman # 8

I recently tries some Hetman #8 slide grease. I used it an my second valve slide and it fell out while playing. I noticed that if I pulled the slide out even slightly, it would continue to slide out. This stuff is supposed to be Hetman's thickest grease, but it seems very slick and easy to move. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,

Mike

I've been using Hetman-8 on my second slide too and it has worked for me. It's the only grease that keeps my 2nd slide from falling out. Maybe you need to have the legs of your 2nd slide expanded some by a brass tech. Not sure what else to suggest.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton Brandon Jones sig mpc
    YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    Russian Christmas Music (Alfred Reed)
    El Relicario (Jose Padilla; arr. R. Longfield)

Thanks Rick. I've only had this issue with one other grease — ultra Pure Oils. My usual Dow vacuum grease works fine.

Mike

You might ask your pharmacist for a a couple ounces of hydrogenated lanolin. Hetman 7 seems good enough for me typically, but does not seem to last on some slides.

It's not a prescription. it's not petroleum. It's a natural base that is sometimes used for lubricant/ointment or cosmetics. Lanolin is from sheep, if that matters to you, but if you ever used Carmex, you used lanolin. Quite sticky for slides you seldom use. And safe on your skin.

Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (Denis Wick 3XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba, modified Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

6. I personally use Hetman #7. I tried Hetman #8 and found it is like glue. It is really difficult to wash off your fingers and your horn if you smear it anywhere! If Hetman #7 can't hold in your 2nd valve slide, then you really need to see a technician and have the legs on your slide adjusted so it fits a bit tighter.

The 2nd valve slide is problematic for 2 reasons. First the leg on the short side is so short that most of the friction keeping it in comes from the long side. 2nd, because the legs are short and the inner joint is so near the valve crook, valve oil washes into the slide and the mating surfaces and will wash out the slide grease no matter what you use.

Recommendation, therefore is:

• Get the slide adjusted by a technician
    • Use Hetman #7
    Sterling Virtuoso 1065HGS & Adams E3 Prototype 0.70 Top Sprung valves
    Sterling Virtuoso 1050HGS baritone
    New England Brass Band
    Winchendon Winds/Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    then you really need to see a technician and have the legs on your slide adjusted so it fits a bit tighter.
    I think this is a bit misleading since (at least on my first reading of it) it suggests that the legs of the slide are somehow "out of adjustment". But in fact, the slide's falling out suggests that the legs of the slide (both outer and inner) are in perfect adjustment and parallel. I just wouldn't want to give the impression that the legs should somehow be squeezed together or apart to make them fit more tightly.

I'm guessing that what you're getting at here is that the diameter of the slide legs should be slightly expanded so they fit more tightly into the outer legs and so don't fall out. This is done with "expander balls" of the appropriate diameter (sometimes in stages) and takes only a few moments with little cost. There's a way of doing it yourself, but I don't post descriptions of it because it's a bit tricky and you can really screw up your slide if you aren't very careful. I've done it to mine, but don't recommend that most people try it -- especially on an expensive instrument. And it's not as good as having a tech do it with the correct diameter expander balls.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (Denis Wick 3XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba, modified Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

I’m pretty sure Doug was talking about expanding the male legs of the 2nd slide some and NOT making them non-parallel.

Agree that Hetman-8 is very sticky and almost like glue. That’s why I only use it on my 2nd slide. I use Hetman-7 on all other slides.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton Brandon Jones sig mpc
    YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    Russian Christmas Music (Alfred Reed)
    El Relicario (Jose Padilla; arr. R. Longfield)

9. Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    I’m pretty sure Doug was talking about expanding the male legs of the 2nd slide some and NOT making them non-parallel.
    Yes of course.
    Sterling Virtuoso 1065HGS & Adams E3 Prototype 0.70 Top Sprung valves
    Sterling Virtuoso 1050HGS baritone
    New England Brass Band
    Winchendon Winds/Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    Iím pretty sure Doug was talking about expanding the male legs of the 2nd slide some and NOT making them non-parallel.

Agree that Hetman-8 is very sticky and almost like glue. Thatís why I only use it on my 2nd slide. I use Hetman-7 on all other slides.
    In the 40 years I've used this horn, I've only had this problem with Hetman-8 and Pure oils. Maybe my Hetman-8 is defective, since I do not find it at all sticky. It is very thick, but very slick with almost no tackiness. The Hetman-7.5 (which is a gel) works better.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast