Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wessex Eb Bombino Tuba - What a Great Tuba!

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Hood View Post
    ...In the mean time, does anyone know about a Tuba Christmas style event in Northern California? If so, please forward the details to me. I would be interested in learning more...

Sara Hood (Baritone in Sacramento, CA)
    Sara,

Go here: http://www.tubachristmas.com/ Select "Where is TubaChristmas?", Select California and click "Display" and you can see all the places with contact information. You should be able to find a place this year to play. There have been TubaChristmas events in Sacramento for close to 40 years.

I share your enthusiasm for musicians getting the opportunity to play and hang out, however, Tuba Christmas was started by a tuba player for players within the tuba family of instruments. It's like letting a clarinet player in a brass quintet. There are a bazillion opportunities for trombone players (quintets, duets, brass choirs, trombone choirs, wind ensembles, the list goes on). I look at this as not respecting the wishes of the founder of Tuba Christmas, Harvey Phillips. And quite frankly, ruining the sound that was intended. Your reasoning would allow a saxophone or piccolo player to join in.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 03-02-2018 at 04:50 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, Wessex EP-100 Dolce Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Wessex TE-360 Bombino Eb Tuba
    Rapid City New Horizons & Municipal Bands (Euphonium)
    Black Hills Symphony Orchestra (Bass Trombone), Powder River Symphony, Gillette, WY (Tenor Trombone)
    Black Hills Brass Quintet (Tuba)

Thanks for the Tuba Christmas info. I was pleased to find an event in Sacramento (grin). Maybe I will have to start a new Christmas tradition. The question was raised, "What about British Baritones?" I would need an answer to that question too as that in my horn of choice.

I would be glad to discuss the "What to do about...?" question with you in another posting, so that we do not highjack the original poster's intent. If you don't wish to, that is okay too. No hard feelings either way.

Back to the original topic. This review makes me wish I was back in the Los Angeles area, so I could try all the Wessex horns personally (grin)!
    - Sara

I think a British baritone would be fine... MUCH better than trying to join on trombone. But, that’s just my opinion.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton Brandon Jones sig mpc
    YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    Russian Christmas Music (Alfred Reed)
    El Relicario (Jose Padilla; arr. R. Longfield)

Greetings from a member of the Board of Directors of the Harvey Phillips Foundation! If you have purchased a more recent version of the music, you will see my (real, not Snorlax) name and a short bio in the book.

Trombones are not a part of TUBACHRISTMAS celebrations. Their event is JINGLEBONES, at least around these Indianapolis Parts.

British baritones, however, are most welcome, as are the bell-front "hybrids" that many school children use.

Jim
    Last edited by Snorlax; 03-03-2018 at 04:39 PM.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meters)
    Yamaha 642-II Neo, Wedge 103E, SM3.5
    Yamaha 321, Yamaha 621 Baritone
    Conn 50H trombone
    Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    Greetings from a member of the Board of Directors of the Harvey Phillips Foundation! If you have purchased a more recent version of the music, you will see my (real, not Snorlax) name and a short bio in the book.

Trombones are not a part of TUBACHRISTMAS celebrations. Their event is JINGLEBONES, at least around these Indianapolis Parts.

British baritones, however, are most welcome, as are the bell-front "hybrids" that many school children use.

Jim
    Thanks, Jim. I will make a copy of your message and pass it on to our local TubaChristmas organizers. Maybe they will get it straight this year!!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, Wessex EP-100 Dolce Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Wessex TE-360 Bombino Eb Tuba
    Rapid City New Horizons & Municipal Bands (Euphonium)
    Black Hills Symphony Orchestra (Bass Trombone), Powder River Symphony, Gillette, WY (Tenor Trombone)
    Black Hills Brass Quintet (Tuba)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234