Thread: Tips on fixing upper lip instability

1. Tips on fixing upper lip instability

Hi all,

Over the past few weeks on my euphonium and baritone, my upper lip has started to get unstable when my embouchure gets fatigued. It makes a trillish sound, and I have to either take a quick break or reset my embouchure to eliminate it. I'm looking for advice from others here on ways to eliminate this phenomenon.

Thank you in advance!
    -JK

2. Quote Originally Posted by jkircoff View Post
    Hi all,

Over the past few weeks on my euphonium and baritone, my upper lip has started to get unstable when my embouchure gets fatigued. It makes a trillish sound, and I have to either take a quick break or reset my embouchure to eliminate it. I'm looking for a great experience with d bal max advice from others here on ways to eliminate this phenomenon.

Thank you in advance!
    -JK
    You could buy a plastic mouthpiece because they're not that expensive and see if your lip still swelles. If it does, than you just need to change how you play. But if it doesn't, you should look into different mouthpiece made from different materials.
    Last edited by KennethTorres; 02-04-2019 at 02:37 PM.

I feel for you. Must be a terrible feeling.

Short of something medical, and assuming you haven't changed equipment, you might be doing something odd with your horn position or mouthpiece placement.

You might want to get with an experienced teacher, someone experienced with using mouthpiece visualizers (clear mouthpieces or a rim on a stick, either is used for examining your embouchure and placement).

Don't let the technical stuff play games with your head, but maybe check out the topic of "embouchure types" for brass, and the kinds of stuff that happens if you're playing with embouchure or placement that does not match your face and way of playing. Not that any embouchere is better than others, more that it matches you and doesn't do something weird. Here is some interesting content. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyxXOcHhYV4