Thread: Polster's arrangement of "Four Dances From West Side Story"

Polster's arrangement of "Four Dances From West Side Story"

My concert band is doing this arrangement in April. The final movement calls for cup mutes for part of the piece. I have a straight mute but I am considering getting a cup mute, but my 5050 is a very large instrument and I want to get one that will fit.

Does anyone have any experience with the cup mute or opinions? If so, which brand will work with a larger euph like the 5050? I'm not sure if it's really even necessary to get one. Maybe the straight mute will work.
    Euphs:
    Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
    Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
    Yamaha 201 Baritone
    Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
    Groups:
    The San Diego Concert Band

Hi Dan,

I only have one mute, a Denis Wick DW5513 Straight Mute. The last time I used it the bass trombone player sitting next to me said, "The music calls for a straight mute". I told him it is a straight mute... but it does look a little like a cup mute. I wonder how different the two mutes sound on a euphonium. Could the Wick mute pass for both?

Last edited by RickF; 02-17-2016 at 11:06 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I would question the trombone players knowledge on mutes. This is obviously a straight mute. I do remember even 30 years ago straight mutes looked like that. A cup mute should have a hollow *cup* covering the bell, like an umbrella. I'm sorry, but if he can't see the difference, he should get his eyes checked. Or maybe I missed something in the evolution of mutes the past 10 years? I must admit, not all straight mutes are straight; some if not most look more like a lightbulb so that may cause some confusion. But it has been like that as long as I can remember.

Also, the sound should be very different. A straight mute gives the sound a sharper, metallic edge while the cup mute makes it sound more muffled. At least, that is what they did on my trumpet. I have never used either type of mute on Euphonium, so I am not sure if the sound effect is the same.

Hi Rick,

I have the same mute you have. I've never used it in a performance. It gives my 5050 a trombone-like sound quality.

There are three other euphs in the section and one of us does not have a mute and the other section mate has a mute with really bad intonation.

I'm waiting to hear back from the director for a decision about using the mutes for this piece anyway. Interestingly, this piece calls for the tubas to use mutes too.

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    Hi Dan,

I only have one mute, a Denis Wick DW5513 Straight Mute. The last time I used it the bass trombone player sitting next to me said, "The music calls for a straight mute". I told him it is a straight mute... but it does look a little like a cup mute. I wonder how different the two mutes sound on a euphonium. Could the Wick mute pass for both?

Euphs:
    Yamaha 201 Baritone
    Groups:

Quote Originally Posted by tonewheeler View Post
    Interestingly, this piece calls for the tubas to use mutes too.
    I remember when I used to play tuba, I borrowed the mute of my professor when needed. Oh, the looks I got from people when I walked through town with a huge black gigbag on my back and this really big metal thing that looked like a rocket launcher....

Quote Originally Posted by tonewheeler View Post
    Hi Rick,

I have the same mute you have. I've never used it in a performance. It gives my 5050 a trombone-like sound quality.

There are three other euphs in the section and one of us does not have a mute and the other section mate has a mute with really bad intonation.

I'm waiting to hear back from the director for a decision about using the mutes for this piece anyway. Interestingly, this piece calls for the tubas to use mutes too.
    I've been thinking of adding some more cork to the Wick mute. As you know the bell of the M5050 being so large, the mute sits a little too low. Maybe with a bit more cork it would sound less tinny. I looked for the video by Ron Apperson on how to tune or voice your mute. It used to be on 'Band Directors dot Com' but not there anymore. Ron made some of the best mutes out there for tuba and euphonium - all hand made. Tenn Tech made their own mutes and modeled them after Ron Apperson mutes.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    I've been thinking of adding some more cork to the Wick mute. As you know the bell of the M5050 being so large, the mute sits a little too low. Maybe with a bit more cork it would sound less tinny. I looked for the video by Ron Apperson on how to tune or voice your mute. It used to be on 'Band Directors dot Com' but not there anymore. Ron made some of the best mutes out there for tuba and euphonium - all hand made. Tenn Tech made their own mutes and modeled them after Ron Apperson mutes.
    I never considered that the Wick may be sitting a little too low in my 5050. Maybe it's time to experiment with some cork? Let me know if you do to and keep us posted.
    Euphs:
    Yamaha 201 Baritone
    Groups:

Rick, I had no problem finding the banddirectors.com site doing a google search:

http://www.banddirector.com/article/...oductguide=318

http://www.banddirector.com/article/...oductguide=321
    Last edited by tonewheeler; 02-20-2016 at 01:23 PM.
    Euphs:
    Yamaha 201 Baritone
    Groups:

Thanks Dan.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)