Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming Back after a 3 year hiatus

1. Coming Back after a 3 year hiatus

Hi all,

I've decided to dust off my euphonium case and get back into it. I lubed up the valves of my 967 Globe Stamp and they were as reliable as ever. Truly, a world-class instrument.
    So the instrument is ready to go, now we have to get the player ready to go. Any advice on how I should learn? I have an Arban book. Should I just start from there and progress through it?

Thanks, and it's good to be back (:
    Christopher Chen
    bolded are for sale
    B&H 967 - Globe Stamp
    B&H 960 (3 valve comp euph) - Globe Stamp
    Salvation Army Triumphonic Eb Alto, silver plated

On the lookout for:
    Silver plated:
    pre '93, post '06 Sovereign Alto/Tenor Horn
    pre '93, post '06 Sovereign Baritone (3 valve)

York/Sterling/LMI variants accepted

2. I'll take a stab at this one and am sure there will be multiple opinions I think it all depends on your goals. If they involve reattaining skills for highly technical repertoire such as solos and concertos, then a more formal approach such as Arban could be the way. Personally I like to have more fun while practicing and although I don't like to embarrass myself, my goals are not so lofty. In that light, maybe someone could suggest some etude books which will satisfy your musical appetite while honing your skills. Sort of like Bordogni and Blazevich for the Tuba. Ideas?
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Welcome back 'coolguy'. I remember your user name and wasn't aware that you had taken a break.

Tampaworth makes good suggestions. I might add plenty of long tones - which is always recommended.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton Brandon Jones sig mpc
    YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    Russian Christmas Music (Alfred Reed)
    El Relicario (Jose Padilla; arr. R. Longfield)

Arban should be a daily-use book for a while, but maybe not the ONLY thing you play. If you have the Complete Conservatory Edition you actually can do a lot with it. That one has a bunch of short 3-line (or so) songs in the middle that are excellent practice for musicality. Your daily routine should include a warm-up covering scales, arpeggios, etc. The Arban songs, or the etudes near the back, or the solos in the back could provide more amusement.

But you might want to visit:

http://www.bandmusicpdf.org/

Look through their titles and grab any euphonium parts that seem interesting to you. It's free!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC4)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Rochut's "Melodious Etudes for Trombone" (vocalises of Bordogni).
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (Denis Wick 3XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba, modified Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

One thing I've learned in college when I have to come back from a break or something where I have been unable to play for too long(from 2-3 days up to a month...) back to everyday all day playing. My number one is get some simple long tones for part of your warm up. I start with long tones going down into the low register then start over going into the high register. One book that I used to use frequently that does this very well is David Vining's Daily Routine books. Every section is devoted to a different technique or skill such as articulation, dynamics, range, flexibility, etc. and also a bonus long tone section in the back. Each section starts with a mild warmup to get your face going before you do more difficult exercises, progressively harder as you go through each section.

I second the Rochut/Bordogni Etudes. I use those regularly in my practice and in lessons. great for building musicality!

Two octave scales are enormously helpful. It doesnt matter if you can't play everything perfectly especially high register, a regular dose of scales will help to build stamina and range in the long run.

Slurs are to me are second only to long tones when it come to building up muscle strength again, there are a variety of them and you can make them up too! the brass gym is another source like david vinings book that have specific exercises like slurs and tongue coordination that you can use to build back up.

Above all, take nothing faster than beautiful, but no slower than you can be challenged enough to get better. Many of us practice too fast and it simply doesn't help. Slow lip slurs will work you muscles greatly and build them up faster than inaccurate fast slurs. Focus on finding YOUR sound again and have fun
    Adams E1 SS, Gold Brass Body .6mm DE Euph N103 Jcup, J9 shank
    Meinl Weston 2141 Eb Tuba PT 84

+1 Rochut/Bordogni Etudes

DDG
    1966 Besson 181 highly modified New Standard
    1918 Hawkes & Son euph 3&1 original
    1915 York Bb tenorhorn original

Dave, thanks for posting the link to the band music above. It's really a feast of plenty. I often use baritone parts from classic marches as practice pieces since they are both interesting and often technically challenging. However, the link lists over 1400 marches, many of which I'm unfamiliar with. Do you have any suggestions for a dozen or so that would have especially useful baritone parts to use as practice pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    Nice music, but I find the tessatura pretty high for a returnee like me (high A is chancy and I get tired hitting Gs after ten minutes).
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1, Kadja, and DE 101XTG9 mouthpieces
    Bach 36B trombone; pBone; Vincent Bach (from 1971) 6.5AL mouthpiece
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo) and Delilah (the cavapoo puppy) keep me company while practicing

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    The Rochut books are great. Lot of fun to play.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast