Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1st post-- need some advice

Thanks for all the advice about the issue of holding value. I appreciate it. The issue of holding value isn't a huge one, but has to be considered.

Does anyone have any insights into moving to a large bore horn at my age?

John

Quote Originally Posted by John the Theologian View Post
    Thanks for all the advice about the issue of holding value. I appreciate it. The issue of holding value isn't a huge one, but has to be considered.

John
    I don't think it has anything to do with age. I can say that I feel more comfortable with a smaller bore horn -- and consequently that I make better music with it.

If you don't have a compelling reason to move to horn of a certain bore? Why even consider it?
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (Denis Wick 3XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba, modified Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

I remember a number of years ago when I tried a King 2280, which I believe, is about the same bore size as the Jinbao that I really liked its sound. If age isn't a big factor, I'm assuming I would like the large bore euphonium. I'm also assuming that trying out locally the Yamaha, if possible (I believe it's the 642?), on which the Jinbao is based, would give me some idea of how the larger bore would sound. I realize that the horns aren't identical, but if the bores are similar, I should get some idea. Does anyone else have any idea of any other horns to try to get some feel of how I would sound today on a larger bore horn? I probably only have limited options, but perhaps there are a few other horns besides the Yammie on which the Jinbao is based that I could try before actually having something like a Mack shipped for trial period.

John

Actually my previous response was idiotic -- though the advice is still pretty good. I've been so absorbed with the tuba recently, and switching from a fairly large bore BBb back to a fairly standard bore EEb, that it was that I was referring to. In terms of euphoniums, I do indeed prefer a large bore since from my "tuba perspective" they are all "small".

Do keep in mind that Tom's return policy on that particular instrument is that if you aren't entirely satisfied, you get all your money back -- including shipping. I know you aren't anxious to go this way without thinking it would actually be good, but it may in the end be the best approach for you.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (Denis Wick 3XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba, modified Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Quote Originally Posted by John the Theologian View Post

John
    You didn't specify your age, but I was 65 when I went from the old Conn to the larger-bore Jinbao, and the results have been nothing but good. I agree with Gary -- age is not an issue.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

As I mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread, I'm 63-- just turned 63 a couple of weeks ago. Does anyone have any additional insights into which other brands of horns might approximate the bore size of the Jinbao to give me some similar idea of how I might sound on the Mack or other stencil? It's been quite a few years since I've tried the larger horns.

John

Willson 2900, Yamaha 641 & 642, Stirling, and Adams euphoniums all have very close to the same bore of .590" or .591". The Miraphone 5050 has a bore of .610". I think the Besson pro-level horns are still at .580" but not positive.
    Last edited by RickF; 05-12-2013 at 04:32 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton Brandon Jones sig mpc
    YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    Russian Christmas Music (Alfred Reed)
    El Relicario (Jose Padilla; arr. R. Longfield)

Thanks, that's very helpful info.

John

FYI, I moved all the BBb, CC, and EEb tuba talk here:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...d-Why?p=120197
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC4)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

10. A little late to the party here...from my recent perusals of several different sales sites, the going rate for a YEP 321 is between $1000-$1500 depending on age and condition. I am primarily a tuba player (despite my forum name!) and found that a large bore horn was really more my cup of tea, and picked up a Conn 19I for $850.00 off EBay. Both of my horns (tuba is a VMI 201) are "in-line four" (just like my motorcycle, but I digress) and really give me no problems.

The advantage to buying a clone is price; the disadvantage is that the quality of some horns is still suspect, and parts can be hard to come by unless you're able to modify the more available parts to your horn. (I will leave the political argument out of it. If you want some entertainment, take a look at the Tubenet Forum on Chinese horns...) The other advantage, as I see it, is that you could find that you really like the 3+1 large bore lineup. One of my good friends got a YEP 642 at the age of 68 and she just loves it (she is one of those "power" euphonium players, too...whoda guessed?); I believe she uses a mid sized Shilke mouthpiece like the 51D on it.

My 2 cents, YMMV

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123