Thread: Symphonic Rhapsody for Euphonium- Gregson Piano Reduction

1. Symphonic Rhapsody for Euphonium- Gregson Piano Reduction

Hi,
    I'm just a little disconcerted and was hoping someone could help out. I was listening to a Trevor Groom performance of this piece on youtube ( ) and following with the piano reduction and I noticed at C (about 1:30) that though Trevor Groom was playing (wonderfully!) I hadn't anything there! Has there been anything written (or said) about this omission in the piano reduction? I'm just wondering why. Thanks.

2. Symphonic Rhapsody for Euphonium- Gregson Piano Reduction

Symphonic Rhapsody for Euphonium- Gregson Piano Reduction

That work has undergone a few revisions since it first appeared.
    In addition to note changes, there have been several tempo changes.
    Whether those are written out or just part of the "oral tradition," I'm not sure.

I played it many years ago with brass band--the part is off in storage somewhere. I'll look at it & see what's at rehearsal C. In any event, there's nothing stopping you from inserting the desired passage, is there? ;-)

Trevor Groom had it all--sound, musicality, chops, good taste. I wish more people knew about him, then they'd know who the Childs Bros. and Steven Mead used as one of their role models!!

By way of comparison, one of the Childs Brothers has recorded it as well, and the interpretation is somewhat different. I forget which one it was, but he was a bit more "Bravura" than Trevor Groom, especially at the end.

When the Childs Bros. were visiting in my part of the USA, I got to play it for them. I was scared crapless, but it was a good experience!
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meters)
    Yamaha 642-II Neo, Wedge 103E, SM3.5
    Yamaha 321, Yamaha 621 Baritone
    Conn 50H trombone
    Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Yes Jim, Robert Childs recorded it with Brighouse & Rastrick with the composer conducting.

There are a few minor alterations from the original in that performance, which I like.

I also have a recording of Eric Ball conducting his own 'Resurgam' where the tempos are no where near those printed on the score.

CB

The first time I heard Trevor Groom I just couldn't believe what a relaxed sound & musical approach he had! As I got more familiar with the "British style" I came to recognize the more relaxed approach to tone production in most of the players, but Trevor seemed to have it perfected.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC4)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

6. Symphonic Rhapsody for Euphonium- Gregson Piano Reduction

Oh cool, thanks guys! I think I will insert that passage, it's exactly the sort of thing that I enjoy playing alot, sort of dialogic and fun I'll have to look up that Robert Childs recording too, thanks.

Morgan Griffiths plays it in a very musical style in this recording, which is worth getting:

http://www.4barsrest.com/reviews/cds/cd005a.asp