Thread: unusually wrapped baritone!

unusually wrapped baritone!

I thought you all would enjoy seeing this video of me playing an extremely rare and valuable 1860s baritone this past weekend as part of the vintage band music festival in northfield, MN. The craftsmanship was unbelievably gorgeous. Hope you excuse the playing -- this was at the end of eight concerts of punishing marches and opera overtures over three days, and I was a little thrown off by the FLAT 6th partial and the high pitch tuning of the whole instrument. Other than a few minor intonation quirks, it really played beautifully!

http://www.facebook.com/v/424857578606

--
    Barry

Cool! I've never seen one of those. You're right, the 6th partials are actually a bit flat. Interesting.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton Brandon Jones sig mpc
    YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    Russian Christmas Music (Alfred Reed)
    El Relicario (Jose Padilla; arr. R. Longfield)

Apparently very few were made and only a handful survive today. The owner told me he recently turned down an offer of $15000!

The craftsmanship was just astounding.

Some info about the manufacturer here: http://www.horncollector.com/Schreib...acturing_c.htm

--
    Barry

Wow that's an amazing horn! Thanks for sharing!

Also great playing of "When Jesus Wept"!.

5. unusually wrapped baritone!

If I recall this is called an "over the shoulder" horn. It is designed so the band leading troops on the march would be heard easier by the troops as they marched.

I have a good friend in Syracuse NY that leads a Civil War band, is a fine trumper and french horn pro, and has a large collection of mid 1800's and early 1900's instruments.

Besson 767 New Standard, SM 4U
    Irondequoit Concert Band & Penfield Pops, Rochester NY area

F-Alphorn, Hubert Hense maker, Alderwood
    Alphorn Society of Western NY

Haha, Ron! I think your good friend in Syracuse NY is probably the same guy who owns this particular instrument!

--
    Barry

7. unusually wrapped baritone!

Originally posted by: RWiegand If I recall this is called an "over the shoulder" horn. It is designed so the band leading troops on the march would be heard easier by the troops as they marched.
    I thought that the first trombones were also 'pointing backwards', for the very same reason.

8. unusually wrapped baritone!

One of the most interesting things ever on this forum ... well-demonstrated too! Hats off to the craftsman who lovingly restored this old gem.

9. unusually wrapped baritone!

lol beats walking with a 16 pound instrument held like a trumpet

10. unusually wrapped baritone!

As RWiegand replied, this is an "over the shoulder" horn. It was popular during the civil war era, as was an "over the shoulder" tuba. None of the instruments from this era, or replicas from this era, are easy to play. There are numberous intonation issues. I used to play an 1867 alto horn, replica euphonium, and replica tuba in a North Carolina Civil War reinactment band. They are cool instruments to play, just a bit challenging.