Sponsor Banner

Collapse

Any thoughts about the Wessex Overture TB210 4/4 in BBb or the Conn bb501c 3/4 in C?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joan Albiol
    • Jan 2024

Any thoughts about the Wessex Overture TB210 4/4 in BBb or the Conn bb501c 3/4 in C?

I've recently created a "Charanga" (like a marching brass band) in my town with some friends, and we're looking for a new good price-quality tuba, and I've found the following models on the internet:
    • Wessex Overture TB210 4/4 in BBb
      Click image for larger version

Name:	OIP.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	128538
    • Conn bb501c 3/4 in C
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Diseno-sin-titulo-3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	128537

What do you think of them? Do you recommend me these models? And do you know anywhere to buy'em?

Another option we've been thinking of is buying a Sousaphone, but they're quite more expensive. Any advice?
  • ghmerrill
    • Dec 2011

Have you looked on TubaForum.net or Ebay for used stuff? Often you can see a Sousaphone (or better, a helicon) for quite a decent price -- in part because no one will ship them and you have to go get the horn. A helicon would be great (either BBb or Eb), and they are much more common in Europe than in the US. That Wessex is pretty heavy for any marching. You might also look for a lighter Eb tuba -- even a 3-valve one -- depending on the demands of your music. But I'd guess that in a Charanga band, that might work well.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

Working...
    X