X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iMav
    • May 2011

John Packer acquires Michael Rath trombones

https://johnpacker.co.uk/blogs/news/john-packer-musical-instruments-acquires-michael-rath-trombones-as-uk-based-business-continues-to-expand

Thoughts? (I could definitely see JP acquiring Sterling Instruments at some point as well (considering they are open part time at best currently.))
    Last edited by iMav; 01-29-2024, 02:35 AM.
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server
  • ghmerrill
    • Dec 2011

The trombone community is apprehensive about this. But basically it looks like Rath is moving towards retirement while he can still enjoy a broad spectrum of life.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• iMav
      • May 2011

Originally posted by ghmerrill View Post
      The trombone community is apprehensive about this. But basically it looks like Rath is moving towards retirement while he can still enjoy a broad spectrum of life.
      One of the same reasons why I think the same thing will happen with Sterling instruments. I would guess Paul Riggett is in a similar boat. And Sterling already has a similar relationship with JP like Rath had.
      Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• bbocaner
        • May 2009

I own six custom trombones from Rath. I chose them because their customer service was amazing and they would basically sit down and build whatever I wanted to be built. For example, they made custom thumb rests for my R9 bass and my R4F and R3F tenors. I am worried that with new owners this may not always be the case, but cautiously optimistic. The new owners are a UK company although a UK company that has a lot of Chinese manufacturing done, unlike the Shires/Eastman deal where the new owners were an actual Chinese company.
        --
        Barry

Comment

• iMav
          • May 2011

Originally posted by bbocaner View Post
          I own six custom trombones from Rath. I chose them because their customer service was amazing and they would basically sit down and build whatever I wanted to be built. For example, they made custom thumb rests for my R9 bass and my R4F and R3F tenors. I am worried that with new owners this may not always be the case, but cautiously optimistic. The new owners are a UK company although a UK company that has a lot of Chinese manufacturing done, unlike the Shires/Eastman deal where the new owners were an actual Chinese company.
          While from a euphonium standpoint, I like what Shires has done post-acquisition. AND I believe Eastman gets better with every acquisition...I've heard from many trombone players that they don't believe Shire's trombone business has been helped.

We'll see how things go for Rath under JP.
          Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• bbocaner
            • May 2009

I used to have all Shires trombones and I sold them all early after the acquisition happened. I did so because my bass trombone slide which was practically brand new developed a terrible finish problem mere months after I got it and I couldn't even get anyone at Shires to return an email or phone call on the topic. In the meantime, Rath was extremely helpful.
            --
            Barry

Comment

• ghmerrill
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by bbocaner View Post
              ... developed a terrible finish problem ...
              Care to describe this? I'm just curious since I'm in the process of refinishing my 1947 Olds Standard -- which so far is going quite nicely. Do you know what kind of lacquer they used (Baked on epoxy? Nitrocellulose?).
              Gary Merrill
              Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
              Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
              Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
              1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
              Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
              1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• 58mark
                • Feb 2013

I have bought 2 packer trombones and a chinese made rath r400. I found them to be all excellent quality, and I tell people "if Michael Rath trusts the packer factory to build trombones with his name on them, I trust them enough to buy them"

yes,the packer trombones are built in the same factory as the rath trombones

Comment

• iMav
                  • May 2011

The JP133LR is a nice trombone. And can be had new for well under $700.
                  Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• bbocaner
                    • May 2009

shires uses a baked on epoxy
                    --
                    Barry

Comment

Working...
                    X