X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daniel76309
    • Oct 2012

Euph/tuba quartet music for Christmas

We are putting together a quartet for an upcoming church service and were planning on using "Tuba Christmas" arrangements for the time before the service (sort of background music).

We also are going to play offertory and could do more of the same, but I am thinking it would be nice to have something not too difficult but perhaps a little more "interesting" that would run about three minutes (most of the Tuba Christmas arrangements are more like a minute and a half, even playing repeats).

Suggestions anyone?
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

I arranged Jesu, Joy of Mans Desiring, which is more interesting. It is only about 2:30 long, but it is a good fit for an offertory:

http://www.cimarronmusic.com/search.cfm?id=117

You'll find a bunch of Christmas quartets on this page - just look for the EETT designation. There are MP3 samples for several, including Gary Buttery's "English Folk Christmas", which is great, but very hard to put together and may be more intense than you want for that spot in the service:

http://www.cimarronmusic.com/search.cfm?title=christmas
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• daniel76309
      • Oct 2012

Awesome, thank you! Funny thing, I just did "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" as a solo a few months ago, so theoretically it would be easy for me to learn my part at least.

Comment

• knuxie
        • Dec 2005

Got a pretty nice arrangement of 'Silver Bells.' I plan to use it on our Tubameister Christmas in New Mexico program next week.

Comment

• daniel76309
          • Oct 2012

Thanks, but I was trying to stick with christian Christmas music, i.e. those that pertain to Jesus' birth rather than Santa Claus, etc. In any case we performed our music this past Sunday and in general it went well.

All of the songs we did came from the Tuba Christmas book. As is often the case, playing in public is a learning experience for me, and I consider that to be a good thing. I was playing melody and I think the others in the group were probably listening for me to set the tempo and keep it moving, but I was doing as I usually would, i.e. listening for the other parts, trying to stay with them also. As a result our tempo's kind of dragged and that didn't help my endurance any, which was already being stretched a little because of the sustained relatively high notes in the first euphonium part. I figured that out after first service and as a result the second service went much better than the first. Now I am inspired and have my "project euph" all decorated up for the actual Tuba Christmas event this coming weekend. When I get time I am going to try to post a picture of it.

Comment

• ghmerrill
            • Dec 2011

Interesting. The tuba/euph gang (for lack of a better term) in our community band has a gig in a couple of weeks for a "Winter Solstice" concert at the NC Botanical Garden, and we are using the Tuba Christmas book as well. However, I was more interested in a kind of "pagan" approach that would focus on the "pre-Christian" works -- and I'd be quite interested in finding some other paganish solstice pieces (though please not the new age stuff). We're using the TC book this time out because we all have it and we've all played from it previously. One problem with it, however, is that in a few places the parts get a little challenging -- especially for people who haven't used it previously. Some of the 2nd euph parts are noticeably more challenging than the 1st euph parts.

In terms of the tempo and keeping together, it is best to have a conductor . Failing that (we will not have one either), you can take one of two approaches. The first is to let the euphs drive the tempo -- which seems to be what you have been doing. The other is to recognize that in cases like this the tubas generally serve as a rhythm/percussion section, and they're accustomed to this role. In fact, in small ensembles (dixieland, jazz, etc.) the preferred position of the tuba player is BEHIND the drums so that the drummer(s) can hear the tuba. I prefer to have the basses dictate the tempo and keep the beat since trying to do this with melody or counter-melody can get really confusing.
            Gary Merrill
            Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
            Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
            Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
            1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
            Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
            1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• davewerden
              Administrator
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by ghmerrill View Post
              ...One problem with it, however, is that in a few places the parts get a little challenging -- especially for people who haven't used it previously. Some of the 2nd euph parts are noticeably more challenging than the 1st euph parts.
              You might have better luck with my own book, Good Cheer. I tried hard to find a good balance between ease of playing and interest to players/audience. You can buy the printed version or the PDF version:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/ensemb...500172+1723581

There are sound samples on that page as well, recorded by the Triangle Tuba Quartet.
              Dave Werden (ASCAP)
              Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• ghmerrill
                • Dec 2011

Thanks for this pointer. We will probably do similar gigs next year, but expand to include trombones, and this looks like a better set of arrangements for that than the TC book. Also, it got me to some pointers for 4-part dixieland and jazz collections that I've been looking for.
                Gary Merrill
                Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
                Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
                Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
                1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
                Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
                1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• knuxie
                  • Dec 2005

OK, well I have two nice arrangements of Little Drummer Boy (renamed 'Li'l Tuba Dude' for obvious reasons) and O Holy Night. I have both four part and eight part arrangements of either of these.

Comment

• daniel76309
                    • Oct 2012

Dave and Knuxie,

Thank you for the other music options. We are done for now, but if we are thinking of doing this again next year I will look into it some more. I would like to try some other arrangements.

Dan

Comment

• davewerden
                      Administrator
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by daniel76309 View Post
                      Dave and Knuxie, Thank you for the other music options. We are done for now, but if we are thinking of doing this again next year I will look into it some more. I would like to try some other arrangements. Dan
                      No problem! Actually, that is what I like about the forum. This post thread will still be around in future years, so if someone is sniffing around for Christmas quartets they may find it!
                      Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                      Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• Shinn
                        • Feb 2020

Is there a version available for An English Folk Christmas EETT with both Treble Clef and Bass Clef music?

https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/en/pr...s-8066265.html
                        David Shinn
                        Peninsula Concert Band
                        Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
                        1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
                        1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
                        1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
                        Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

Comment

• davewerden
                          Administrator
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Shinn View Post
                          Is there a version available for An English Folk Christmas EETT with both Treble Clef and Bass Clef music?

https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/en/pr...s-8066265.html
                          If you are asking for TC and BC euphonium parts, that is standard. But if you want British-style notation with TC tuba parts, you'd have to request that from Cimarron specially.
                          Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                          Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• Shinn
                            • Feb 2020

Thank you, Dave. Order placed!
                            David Shinn
                            Peninsula Concert Band
                            Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
                            1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
                            1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
                            1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
                            Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

Comment

• Brass is Class
                              • Jul 2023

Don’t discount French horns from a tuba/euph group. Had one couple years ago, myself and nephew both on euphs, church bass guitar and drummer is is a high school band director with a tuba major, who arranged music for us and played the tuba, and daughter on French horn.

Comment

Working...
                              X