X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hwlentz
    • Dec 2016

Thaxted/Jupiter

Today in church, the Prelude was a flute/organ arrangement of ‘O God Beyond All Praising’, a hymn arrangement of Holsts’ Thaxted melody used in Jupiter. After the service, I explained to our music director (the organist) that, as lovely as the flautist played, the piece was really meant to be played on euphonium . She said, find an arrangement and we will do it. I found a trumpet/fluegelhorn and organ arrangement that looks quite playable, but I’d like to know if anyone has played an arrangement for solo euphonium and organ that they recommend.

Thanks
    Bill
  • RickF
    • Jan 2006

I've played a few times with organ accompaniment in church. It works well I think. "Schubert's Serenade" and "Open the Gates to the Temple" come to mind. A good place to look would be Brian Bowman's "Sacred Euphonium" which all are accompanied with organ. I think the CD is still available. You sure can't go wrong copying - or trying to copy - Dr. Bowman.

I found a link to "Open the Gates to the Temple" by Brian Bowman on YouTube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzI4Cg5-a7E

Here's an old link from ten years ago to my rehearsal in church playing "Schubert's Serenade" and "Open the Gates to the Temple". I only had my M5050 horn for about a month or so then so not perfect. "Open the Gates..." piece is an arr for 'medium-high' voice in 'F'. It is very close to the same arr. that is on Brian Bowman's CD, "Sacred Euphonium" (same key)

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...069#post119069
    Last edited by RickF; 07-30-2023, 10:23 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
    Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

Working...
    X