• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eli.euphonium
    • Dec 2022

Favorite Euphonium Concerto?

Hey everyone!

I am new to the forum and wanted to know y'all's favorite concertos for the euphonium. Recently, I have been trying to find obscure and unique works for the instrument and have been listening to loads of different concertos. Currently, a favorite of mine is the Mealor. The lyrical sections balance very nicely with the rambunctious technical passages.

Anyways, let me know all of your favorites!

- Eli
    - Eli

Besson Sovereign 968 | Denis Wick SM3U
  • CousinJack
    • Apr 2020

Mine is definitely the Horovitz - find a lot of Euph concertos are just a little bit too hard for the average advanced player but the Horovitz is very playable (without being easy) but also a very strong composition.
    Adams E2 | K&G 4D+

Comment

• Magikarp
      • Jul 2020

The middle movement of the Horovitz is sublime and hasn’t been equalled in the euphonium repertoire yet, in my opinion.

I love the Wilby Concerto, and both of the Golland Concerti. He was a man who really knew what works best when writing for solo euphonium. For sheer brazen technical explosion you can’t beat the Andy Scott concerto - he remembers that despite the range and agility of the modern practitioner tunes still draw in audiences.

Unrelated but I have all of these for euphonium with piano accompaniment (amongst many others) and they will be sold as a job lot very soon. I’ll be putting it all up in the for sale forum.
      Nowt

Retired

Comment

• iMav
        • May 2011

Originally posted by CousinJack View Post
        Mine is definitely the Horovitz - find a lot of Euph concertos are just a little bit too hard for the average advanced player but the Horovitz is very playable (without being easy) but also a very strong composition.
        Is this available somewhere arranged for concert band (and euph solo, obvs)? All I can find is the piano accompaniment “reduction”.
        Groups
        Valley City Community Band
        Valley City State University Concert Band
        2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Comment

• Baridude
          • Jun 2018

I really like Bowen's "Euphonium Music", Tormod Flaten has a stellar recording of it. I'm also working on the Karl Jenkins concerto. Its all kinds of hard but it sounds so unique I love it.
          Kennesaw State - Music Performance

Yamaha YSL-200AD/Marcinkiewicz Jiggs Whigham
          Wilson 2900/Wick SM3MU
          MW 2250/ Icon 18 (School Horn)
          MW 5450/PT 50 (School horn)

Comment

• Magikarp
            • Jul 2020

Bob Childs recorded the Horovitz with the Norwegian Navy Band (?), but as Horovitz is published by Novello it would be worth having a look to see which ensemble versions are available. The only thing I’d not do is play the optional runs down into the pedal register (as is notated on the Bassoon solo part), as even in his mighty hands they don’t sound good.
            Nowt

Retired

Comment

• JTJ
              • Nov 2005

My favorite is the Martin Ellerby Euphonium Concerto. It works for me on many levels--musical, technical, and, at times, spiritual. About 15 years ago I had the privilege of performing it with an excellent wind ensemble. It was commissioned by Steve Mead and is on one of his cds. Tormod Flaten has a superb, well recorded version posted on YouTube. Here's a link to the beautiful, lyrical 3rd movement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LWW8QniEPQ

Comment

• CousinJack
                • Apr 2020

Originally posted by iMav View Post
                Is this available somewhere arranged for concert band (and euph solo, obvs)? All I can find is the piano accompaniment “reduction”.
                There must be as you can find recordings, but it was also published as a bassoon concerto so it could be the bassoon concerto parts work with the euphonium solo
                Adams E2 | K&G 4D+

Comment

• djwpe
                  • Dec 2008

Anthony Barfield “Heritage” Concerto For Euphonium. I’m biased because I commissioned it, but it’s an amazing piece. Band, Orchestra, and midi accompaniment.

Kevin Day Euphonium Concerto, which I also commissioned.

Tom Davoren’s Concerto for Euphonium great new piece, commissioned for Hiram Diaz. I just heard him premiere the piano version last Saturday.

Don Winston

Comment

• MichaelSchott
                    • Mar 2012

Don those are amazing pieces. The middle movement of the Davoren is gorgeous! Definitely music for very advanced players, especially the Day.

Comment

• djwpe
                      • Dec 2008

Clarification: I did not commission the Tom Davoren Concerto. Just the Barfield and the Day. But Tom is a dear friend.

Comment

• SpartyEuph
                        • Oct 2020

From a listening standpoint, I like the Euphonium Concerto by John Stevens, and the Euphonium Concerto by Yukka Linkola. Both have moments of lyricism and fireworks in just the right doses for me. The Concerto for Euphonium and Wind Orchestra by Alec Wilder is another good one. For sentimental reasons, my favorite is the Concerto by the mysterious G. Magnan.

So many great recordings of incredible literature, so little listening (and practice) time!

Comment

• Snorlax
                          • Mar 2007

I am very partial to the Eric Ewazen concerto. Very tuneful & audience-friendly.

Stream EWAZEN CONCERTO--with the composer in the audience by JWEUPH | Listen online for free on SoundCloud
                          Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
                          Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
                          bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
                          Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
                          Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
                          Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
                          www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Comment

Working...
                          X