X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • guidocorona
    • Jun 2018

New Giddings Hiram Diaz Signature piece

Has anyone tried out the new Giddings Hiram Diaz Signature piece recently posted to the Giddings site?
    Even deeper than Carbonaria, according to its home page below, it has never the less been optimized for the high range:

* Cup diameter: 0.9896 Inches
    * Throat: 0.278 Inches
    * Cup depth: 1.303 Inches

See:

https://www.gwmouthpieces.com/produc...ium-mouthpiece

https://www.gwmouthpieces.com/pages/...ece-size-chart

Any playing/listening impressions / experiences?

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available
  • mbrooke
    • Jan 2006

Interesting. A few years ago, Hiram talked about a modified 51D mouthpiece that GW had made for him. When I asked him about it, he told me that he had gone back to his 51D. I wonder if this is new version or the old one.

Mike

Comment

• aroberts781
      • Sep 2014

That is an interesting description on the website. It seems like such a specialty type piece if it is kind of designed to optimize the extended high range solo playing of someone of Hiram Diaz's caliber.

In any case, I'm sure many will try it and I hope it is a great piece! Based on the specs and the description it doesn't necessarily strike my fancy. I picked up a Kelly 51D a few years ago partly based on listening to a bunch of Hiram Diaz recordings and wanting to see if I could make it work for me. I never really loved it, granted it was the Kelly and possibly I would have had a different experience with a real Schilke.

Note: I realize I drifted into talking about the 51D, hopefully that isn't too far off topic.
      Last edited by aroberts781; 03-03-2024, 06:17 PM. Reason: Clarification
      1976 Besson 3-valve New Standard, DE102/I/I8
      1969 Conn 88H, Schilke 51

Comment

• bbocaner
        • May 2009

Hiram is one of my absolute favorite players and I love the Giddings mouthpieces, but I really can't use them because they really focus on making very specific mouthpieces for specific players, and you can't just say, for example, I want the Hiram Diaz model with a wider diameter and a thinner rim.
        --
        Barry

Comment

• guidocorona
          • Jun 2018

Hi Barry, have you verified with Ivan Giddings that he won't customize the Hiram Diaz -- or other MP -- for you?

G.
          Last edited by guidocorona; 03-05-2024, 05:44 PM.

Comment

• miketeachesclass
            • Feb 2016

Originally posted by guidocorona View Post
            Hi Barry, have you verified with Ivan Giddings that he won't customize the Hiram Diaz -- or other MP -- for you?

G.
            I've had Ivan customize pieces for me before. For example, I had him make a version of his Brandon Jones piece with a deeper cup. He's generally good with it, but it'll cost you.
            Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
            Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

• NLeuph
              • Jun 2022

Originally posted by bbocaner View Post
              Hiram is one of my absolute favorite players and I love the Giddings mouthpieces, but I really can't use them because they really focus on making very specific mouthpieces for specific players, and you can't just say, for example, I want the Hiram Diaz model with a wider diameter and a thinner rim.
              This is the problem with many signature mouthpieces. Even with the mercer and barker GW4, that I really liked in the beginning, but my endurance suffered too much. That is why I decided to go to a mouthpiece maker with a customizable mouthpiece line. And the result is fantastic. I cannot imagine myself wanting to change now. Maybe Giddings also does this kind of thing.
              Geneva Mentor euphonium
              Mercer & Barker GW4

Comment

• bbocaner
                • May 2009

I at one time had over 30 Giddings mouthpieces and I begged for some small customizations but he would not do them no matter how much I offered to pay. He said he'd be losing thousands of dollars on every custom mouthpiece he made because it would be time in which his machines weren't churning out his top sellers. Perhaps he's got new equipment now and can do it, but I had to move on to a line that was more customizable (Doug Elliot) because I just couldn't get what I wanted.
                --
                Barry

Comment

• guidocorona
                  • Jun 2018

Hi Bocaner, check your inbox... I sent you a PM.

Best, Guido

Comment

Working...
                  X