• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Review on ACB Euphonium Mouthpieces

My review is done, complete with 3 videos and some other stuff. Here is the blog link:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/entry.p...n-Custom-Brass
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium
  • guidocorona
    • Jun 2018

Hi Dave, a couple of months have elapsed since your excellent review of the ACB mouthpieces. Have you formed further impressions about these interesting MPs?

I for one have not tried them yet... But have listened to your comparative clips again through slightly more revealing earphones than before, and am growing more intrigued by the tonal qualities of these new ACB creations.

Now I am wondering who other than Dave has tried these new MPs... I would love to read everyone's observations and comments.

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Comment

• miketeachesclass
      • Feb 2016

I got two of these today - a 1 and a 3, both in gold.

My initial impression is that the rim is extremely comfortable. They don't feel quite as big on the face as their specs might lead you to believe - I personally feel initially like they feel like they're approaching wick 3 in terms of size, but I find the rim much more comfortable. I'll report back as I play on them more.

Mike
      Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
      Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

• guidocorona
        • Jun 2018

Hi Mike, as I am pondering of springing for an ACB 3 before long, I am very much looking forward to your further playing impressions of the two models you received, and particularly about their tonal character throughout the range.

Comment

• miketeachesclass
          • Feb 2016

I played a concert on the "3" on Saturday.

Articulation is good, comfort is great, sounds good.

In my small practice room, the 1 sounds a little bright, but I'll be taking them both to a rehearsal on Thursday to play in a larger room and get a better idea of what they sound like compared to one another in a real room.
          Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
          Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

• mbrooke
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by miketeachesclass View Post
            I played a concert on the "3" on Saturday.

Articulation is good, comfort is great, sounds good.

In my small practice room, the 1 sounds a little bright, but I'll be taking them both to a rehearsal on Thursday to play in a larger room and get a better idea of what they sound like compared to one another in a real room.
            I agree. I compared the 1 and the 3 kept the 3. Since getting it, I haven't had the urge to pull out a different piece. That's something in and of itself.

Mike

Comment

• guidocorona
              • Jun 2018

Hrrumpf... You gents are really tempting me to spring for a #3...

Curious as why you Mike & Mike have omitted #2 in your quest so far?

Best, Guido

Comment

• miketeachesclass
                • Feb 2016

The ACB guys told me the 2 has a shape that appeals more to doublers, which I'm not.
                Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
                Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

• guidocorona
                  • Jun 2018

Very interesting... When I spoke to Josh at ACB he indicated that the ACB #1 suits trombonists particularly well.

Perhaps both #1 and #2 are doublers of one form or another?

May be Trent or Josh can clarify this matter.

Regards, Guido

Comment

• mbrooke
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by guidocorona View Post
                    Hrrumpf... You gents are really tempting me to spring for a #3...

Curious as why you Mike & Mike have omitted #2 in your quest so far?

Best, Guido
                    Since the 3 works well with the Adams E2, and I play a Willson 2900, Josh thought the 3 would be better.

Mike

Comment

• miketeachesclass
                      • Feb 2016

Originally posted by mbrooke View Post
                      Since the 3 works well with the Adams E2, and I play a Willson 2900, Josh thought the 3 would be better.

Mike
                      That may be true - the 1 is definitely shallower.
                      Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
                      Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

• ACBEric
                        • Oct 2022

Originally posted by miketeachesclass View Post
                        The ACB guys told me the 2 has a shape that appeals more to doublers, which I'm not.
                        Hello everyone. Eric, from ACB here. I play trombone and double on euphonium. This is my experience and what I have noticed: I play the 1 - and I am coming from a trombone mouthpiece that is around a 5g size - and find it to be the most comfortable for me. The 1 is just the one I have found most comfortable for me. Which, I am sure has influenced how I talk to others about the mouthpieces (as much I would like to say it is easy to be neutral on something we all know that when we enjoy something we tend to talk about that in a way that others can pick up on). As we have been at shows and had folks in the shop I have heard similar positive responses from trombone players that like the 1 or the 2 best. Now, neither of those are "for doublers" but the 1 appeals to me personally. If you check out the overlayClick image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	119538 it makes sense that the sound of the 1 is a little brighter. Maybe as a trombonist my ear likes that better? But really...should a trombonist taste in anything be given much credence? I would not say that any of these are designed with a doubler in mind - as they were designed with a euphonium player in mind. I am finding it interesting to read the comments from musicians who are primarily euphonium players. I always have to keep in mind that mouthpieces are kind of like shoes - what fits my foot may not fit yours the same way and vice versa.

I do agree that the rim is very comfortable. I also agree that they do not feel as large as the specs would make you think they would feel. Again, coming from a 5ish is in size I would expect these to feel bigger on my face than they do if I only focused on the specs and not what I feel on my face.

Comment

• miketeachesclass
                          • Feb 2016

Thanks for the clarification Eric!

Definitely not trying to put any words in your mouth, as it were - just trying to recall the specifics of our conversation. Thanks very much for clarifying!

Mike

Originally posted by ACBEric View Post
                          Hello everyone. Eric, from ACB here. I play trombone and double on euphonium. This is my experience and what I have noticed: I play the 1 - and I am coming from a trombone mouthpiece that is around a 5g size - and find it to be the most comfortable for me. The 1 is just the one I have found most comfortable for me. Which, I am sure has influenced how I talk to others about the mouthpieces (as much I would like to say it is easy to be neutral on something we all know that when we enjoy something we tend to talk about that in a way that others can pick up on). As we have been at shows and had folks in the shop I have heard similar positive responses from trombone players that like the 1 or the 2 best. Now, neither of those are "for doublers" but the 1 appeals to me personally. If you check out the overlay[ATTACH=CONFIG]10920[/ATTACH] it makes sense that the sound of the 1 is a little brighter. Maybe as a trombonist my ear likes that better? But really...should a trombonist taste in anything be given much credence? I would not say that any of these are designed with a doubler in mind - as they were designed with a euphonium player in mind. I am finding it interesting to read the comments from musicians who are primarily euphonium players. I always have to keep in mind that mouthpieces are kind of like shoes - what fits my foot may not fit yours the same way and vice versa.

I do agree that the rim is very comfortable. I also agree that they do not feel as large as the specs would make you think they would feel. Again, coming from a 5ish is in size I would expect these to feel bigger on my face than they do if I only focused on the specs and not what I feel on my face.
                          Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
                          Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

Working...
                          X