• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Niek_H
    • Oct 2023

Originally posted by TheJH View Post
    I had an inkling from your name you might be a fellow Dutchman

if you don't mind me asking, what part of the Netherlands do you live? to narrow down some of your options.
    i live in Gelderland. within half an hour driving distance from Arnhem. so De wilde might be an option (but i dont know if they do those kind of repairs).
    -besson imperial 1980s
    -JEP 1020

Comment

• Niek_H
      • Oct 2023

Originally posted by Niek_H View Post
      i live in Gelderland. within half an hour driving distance from Arnhem. so De wilde might be an option (but i dont know if they do those kind of repairs).
      just looked on the site and facebook page of atelier de wilde, and it does look like they do these kind of repairs.
      so i think i will let them change the inner tubing of the pistons (if they do these things, and if it is even possible) and hope it wont be to expensive.

it think soldering would be kinda okay, but the problem for me would be that i am afraid the same problem would just return again cuz of the age of the instrument and the rest of the inner tubing doesnt look very clean aswell.
      Last edited by Niek_H; 02-14-2024, 06:55 AM.
      -besson imperial 1980s
      -JEP 1020

Comment

• TheJH
        • Dec 2014

Oxidation of the copper inner tubing can always look 'unclean', but that doesn't necessarily mean it's actually in bad condition. Could you post a picture of one of the valves with the holes?
        I'm not entirely sure if the caucades themselves can be changed without too many issues, but maybe some of the more technically learned members of this forum can join in on that.

If you have any time and the means, you could also visit Atelier Pfeiffer in Rijswijk who are really good repair techs, but that's on the other side of the country so it might not be an option for you.
        Euphoniums
        2008 Willson 2960TA Celebration
        1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp)
        Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
        Baritone
        1975 Besson New Standard
        Mouthpiece: Courtois 10

Comment

• Niek_H
          • Oct 2023

Oxidation of the copper inner tubing can always look 'unclean', but that doesn't necessarily mean it's actually in bad condition. Could you post a picture of one of the valves with the holes?
          I'm not entirely sure if the caucades themselves can be changed without too many issues, but maybe some of the more technically learned members of this forum can join in on that.

If you have any time and the means, you could also visit Atelier Pfeiffer in Rijswijk who are really good repair techs, but that's on the other side of the country so it might not be an option for you.
          no it's not just oxidation in the inner tubing. i want to send you pictures but the holes are covered with a kind of grease by the music shop i go to, and they advised me not to take it so the holes stay covered until the next maintenance job. if they cant be changed without issued then i will just let it rest for a while, and if it starts to get bad i will try to get it soldered.

atelier pfeiffer is good indeed but that is a 130km drive that i will have to do 4 times. so that isnt really an option for me.

thanks for the input and advice tho.
          -besson imperial 1980s
          -JEP 1020

Comment

• Niek_H
            • Oct 2023

Click image for larger version

Name:	Naamloos.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	119627 Here is a pic from the valves (im not at home right now, this is the only picture i have atm). the red arrows show were the spots are. at the 2nd valve you can spot a bit of the grease if you squeeze your eyes a bit.
            -besson imperial 1980s
            -JEP 1020

Comment

• NLeuph
              • Jun 2022

Hi Niek, It is always a bit scary finding out something is wrong about your instrument.. I would definitely send Adams an email too. They do all the repair work on my instruments and they are great too. The caucades can be replaced usually. However, that will cost you more than the soldering option.
              It is a good thing there are no leaks otherwise! Usually older instruments leak against the piston walls like David said. So that is good news!

Good luck!
              Geneva Mentor euphonium
              Mercer & Barker GW4

Comment

• Niek_H
                • Oct 2023

Originally posted by NLeuph View Post
                Hi Niek, It is always a bit scary finding out something is wrong about your instrument.. I would definitely send Adams an email too. They do all the repair work on my instruments and they are great too. The caucades can be replaced usually. However, that will cost you more than the soldering option.
                It is a good thing there are no leaks otherwise! Usually older instruments leak against the piston walls like David said. So that is good news!

Good luck!
                Definitely happy that it’s only a tiny hole in 2 valves. So just a little soldering wouldn’t be to hard/ expensive i assume.

Adams would indeed be a good option for me (if the could do the soldering while i’m there cuz of distance travel).

If the grease doesn’t hold up long in the holes then i will definitely go to adams in the near future. Thanks for the reply
                -besson imperial 1980s
                -JEP 1020

Comment

• MikeS
                  • Apr 2012

Niek, getting the holes patched with solder is much cheaper than rebuilding the pistons and will work just as well. If it helps, think of copper plumbing pipes. When you simply put the pipes and fittings together by hand they will leak. Nobody sends their pipes and fittings off to be plated and lapped so they fit so precisely that they are water tight. The solder the plumber uses to fill the gaps and secure the joint is not considered a temporary fix. If done correctly it will last as long as the pipes.

Comment

Working...
                  X