• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Quick Play-Comparisons: Adams, Besson(2), Eastman, Shires, Willson

Here is a video where you can (more or less) compare the 6 most recent compensating euphoniums I tested. Note that I did not intend these as a basis for A/B comparisons. I just decided to play each horn before running a tuning test. After doing 6 individual videos, I realized I could grab the Handel "Air and Variations" from each and put them back to back. The whole batch is less than 3 minutes of listening. So here you go!

https://youtu.be/yCqt-XmRbN4

The individual videos are here if you are interested:
    Last edited by John Morgan; 01-25-2024, 07:21 PM. Reason: Changed E1 to E3
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium
  • John Morgan
    • Apr 2014

Nice comparisons. I don't know if you had any or many changes in your position, the mics position, and other factors, but if all were basically the same, the surprising clip for me was the Eastman 822. It just sort of immediately had more presence and brilliance. Again, that might be a function of the recording, but it sounded really nice to my old ears.

On the other hand, they all sounded nice, and as they say, not a dog among them that I could tell.

The Willson/Eastman Q90 was probably my least favorite, as it sounded a wee bit stuffy and less resonate to me. Again, could be the recording. I see you have different clothes on, so probably a different day with maybe a bit different setup.

If I were stranded on a desert island, I could live with any one of them.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• NLeuph
      • Jun 2022

Originally posted by John Morgan View Post
      Nice comparisons. I don't know if you had any or many changes in your position, the mics position, and other factors, but if all were basically the same, the surprising clip for me was the Eastman 822. It just sort of immediately had more presence and brilliance. Again, that might be a function of the recording, but it sounded really nice to my old ears.

On the other hand, they all sounded nice, and as they say, not a dog among them that I could tell.

The Willson/Eastman Q90 was probably my least favorite, as it sounded a wee bit stuffy and less resonate to me.
      I completely share your thoughts John. I also thought the eastman sounded really nice. Even better than the Q40 to my ears.

Makes me think.. now I want to try one..
      Geneva Mentor euphonium
      Mercer & Barker GW4

Comment

Working...
      X