X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • franz
    • Dec 2015

A new euphonium for my friend

Hello everyone and happy new year for a 2024 full of satisfactions. Yesterday I accompanied my friend Stefano with whon I play in various bands to a couple of musical instrument shops, the largest within a 200km radius, Cavalli in Castrezzato (BS) and Daminelli in Bergamo with the intention of buying a new euphonium. He had already accompanied me to Cavalli some time ago and was very impressed by the sound of the Adams euphoniums and, on the occasion of his 60th birthday, he decided that the time had come to replace his English-made Besson Sovereign 967 with a new euphonium. . On this occasion he also decided to get rid of a Yamaha trombone and a Courtois 169 baritone that had not been used for some time. Cavalli had at his disposal a 0.6 thick silver E3 and a 0.6 thick silver E1 with trigger, both in yellow brass, both excellent instruments, but the E1 immediately appeared better in terms of voice, response and tone. For comparison we also tested a B esson Prestige 2052-2 with the new belly protector and a Yamaha Neo with trigger. The Prestige confirmed all the advantages (many) and defects (few) that I know well from playing one for 16 years. Among the advantages are the sumptuous tone that I like, the ease of emission and the coherence over the entire range, and the known defects such as the weight, the partial high 6rh, the well-known difficulty on the high natural B, very difficult to center and hold and the price, 10K, definitely not within everyone's reach. The Yamaha had a consistent sound across the range, but not the kind of sound I like to get from a euphonium. The E1 definitely had the sound my friend was aiming for. Another example that we absolutely wanted to try for a decisive comparison was the Miraphone 5050, which I had tried about ten years ago and had impressed me a lot, so we moved to Daminelli in Bergamo to try it together, for a further comparison, with a Yamaha 842 custom and an Eastman EEP 822S. The Eastman, the cheapest of the lot, immediately appeared of a lower category than all the others, with inconsistent intonation across the entire range and an anonymous tone. From the Yamaha I honestly expected something better for a 9K instrument, I was simply amazed by the incredibly high partial Eb 6th (over 30 cents), playable only with 1-3 as it has no trigger. Miraphone 5050: Wow! Incredible instrument, for me the best instrument I have ever played, incredible ease of playing on a new instrument not yet broken, almost perfect intonation across the entire range and a huge sound. At this point the decision was between the 5050 and the E1, with me preferring, albeit slightly, the Miraphone, while my friend was enchanted by the sound of the Adams. The price of both was 8K (the E1 with Bonna case included, the Miraphone with soft case) and the decisive role was Cavalli's valuation of the second hand (967 + Courtois 169) (4K vs 2.5K) , so we returned to Cavalli to complete the purchase. During the first test of the E1 we were in a soundproof test room, with a dry response, whereas with the 5050 we were in a larger room with more reverberation. Back at Cavalli we played the E1 in the store's auditorium, where the E1 exhibited a magnificent sound that projected very well even into the farthest corner of the room. We were both very happy with the beautiful day spent trying the best euphoniums on the market, with my friend owning a magnificent new instrument that will give him great satisfaction and pleasure in the years to come.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.
  • iMav
    • May 2011

Nice write up!

The 800-series Eastmans have "design influence" from Shires. Honestly, I can't really tell a difference between the 822 and the Shires Q40. (likewise with the 826 and the Shires Q41)
    All manufactured by Eastman in China.

I'm quite fond of the Yamaha Neo (and don't really appreciate what the 842 Custom brings to the table above and beyond the value of the 642-II).
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Comment

• guidocorona
      • Jun 2018

Hi Franz, really great report!

Not surprised about your opinion of the M5050... Back at ITEC 2019 in Iowa City, my favorite euphos were by far the Prestige and the M5050. I shuttled back and forth between the Besson and Miraphone rooms for one day and a half withn SM4U.... Gradually My favorite became the M5050 by a smidgeon for its tone colors versus the Besson's glorious sumptuous sound.... Finally, during the Fall of 2022 I ordered my M5050 from Dillon, which I received the day of St. Stefano of the same year.

What mouthpieces did your friend and you use to test the Adams E1 and the M5050?

My own favorite is the BT16 (Demondrae) for its power of expression and colorful tembre, followed by the SM4U for a darker dramatic tone, and the Alliance DC2 & DC3 for their lyrical qualities.

Saluti e Buon Anno, Guido
      Guido
      Last edited by guidocorona; 01-07-2024, 03:11 PM.
      M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
      Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
      Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Comment

• franz
        • Dec 2015

Hi Guido, happy new year to you too. I played with the WB Demondrae, my friend with the Schilke 52D. Unfortunately here in Italy there are no events like ITEC where there is the possibility of trying all the euphonium models of the various brands. To have a more objective comparison we had to go to 2 large musical instrument shops, already having clear in mind that the game was played by the Adams and the Miraphone 5050. Adams offers so many varieties of possible combinations between models, thicknesses, materials and finishes and it is impossible to find them all in one shop. It is not excluded that in the future he will take a tour of the Adams factory in Holland, after all Ittervoort is not that far from Varese.
        2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Comment

Working...
        X