Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ivanhouston
    • Feb 2011

The only other model that compares in price is the Besson 767. I assume it's made in Germany. It's debatable on how you think the 767 would compare to the Cerveny, though.

Comment

• iMav
      • May 2011

Originally posted by ivanhouston View Post
      The only other model that compares in price is the Besson 767. I assume it's made in Germany. It's debatable on how you think the 767 would compare to the Cerveny, though.
      Well, the 767 is definitely made in China (confirmed by Steven Mead).
      Groups
      Valley City Community Band
      Valley City State University Concert Band
      2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Comment

• ghmerrill
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by iMav View Post
        (BTW, there is one reseller in the US. Ordering through them would come at a near $2k premium.)
        I'm not sure what this means. Do you mean that's there's currently only one reseller that lists this model? That appears to be true. But the Cerveny site lists several sellers in the US, and other companies not listed there are also selling Cerveny instruments -- including The Horn Guys, Jim Laabs, The Brass Club (which specifically lists the compensating Cerveny euphs on their site), etc.

List price from The Brass Club for the lacquer VFC-EP6566 II is $4,789, silver is $5,359. There appears to be a fairly long shipping time (up to 3 months). The price may be a partial reflection of exchange rate, of course, and then there's the issue of any sales taxes. Also, keep in mind that The Brass Club acts more or less as an "agent" in selling what's in their catalog. But anyhow, it does appear that you might actually be able to order from someone in the US. I'd guess that the price difference, compared to Thomann results from circumventing import fees/taxes via the direct personal purchase (and Thomann would be selling direct to you out of the EU where both they and Cerveny/Amati are located). But that's just a guess. If that's true, there's going to be no way around that unless the import regulations change.
        Gary Merrill
        Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
        Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
        Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
        1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
        Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
        1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• iMav
          • May 2011

Ok. I should say that I was told by a US-based reseller that they were the only AUTHORIZED reseller in the US. That appears to be false. (not surprising...unfortunately there is a LOT of lying and deceit in this industry...ESPECIALLY amongst the US resellers.)

You can buy the Cerveny euphoniums from La Musa in Spain (best price I could find...and actually talked to a couple of folks in the US that have purchased successfully from them). (free shipping to the US) The VFC-EP7566 is currently $3848.20 shipped to the US. The VFC-EP6566 is $3096.58 shipped. (and, for completeness sake, the VFC-8566RS is $4488.20 shipped...but on backorder.) The prices DO fluctuate with the exchange rate, it appears (always different when I refresh the website).
          Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• ghmerrill
            • Dec 2011

There's a bit of murkiness, and perhaps "disinformation", lurking about. But things have been changing over the past couple of years, and it's quite possible that various people's information is just out of date.

The current Cerveny "Partners" map lists the following in the US from West to East: Charles Music Store and Studios (Glendale, CA), Cannonball Musical Instruments (Salt Lake County, UT), Olivas Music (El Paso, TX), Music & Arts (Colorado Springs, CO), Bocal Majority Music Store (Richardson, TX), Jim Laabs Music Store (Stevens Point, WI), and Buckey Brass & Winds (Plain City, OH). It's a pretty good East/West geographical distribution in the US, though a bit surprising that there's none actually on the East coast.

Even then, it's not clear what's going on. Music & Arts doesn't appear to list Cerveny among it's offerings on its web sites.
            Last edited by ghmerrill; 01-28-2024, 08:55 AM.
            Gary Merrill
            Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
            Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
            Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
            1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
            Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
            1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• ivanhouston
              • Feb 2011

In a reddit post about the Cerveny Emperor, someone who played them says the Master Line is similar to the Besson Sovereign and the Premium is similar to the Prestige. That got me curious since the 8566 Master Line costs more (at least from La Musa) and I would expect it to be more similar to a Prestige. I've never played the 7566 Premium, but I'm curious what the actual differences between the 7566 & 8566 are, since in some pictures they look exactly the same, save the trigger in some cases!

Comment

• iMav
                • May 2011

In a reddit post about the Cerveny Emperor, someone who played them says the Master Line is similar to the Besson Sovereign and the Premium is similar to the Prestige. That got me curious since the 8566 Master Line costs more (at least from La Musa) and I would expect it to be more similar to a Prestige. I've never played the 7566 Premium, but I'm curious what the actual differences between the 7566 & 8566 are, since in some pictures they look exactly the same, save the trigger in some cases!
                Huh. From my research it seems the only real difference between the 7566 and the 8566 is the finish. (And the 6566 is similar as well, simply sans tuning trigger.)
                Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• iMav
                  • May 2011

More clarification regarding the “authorized” reseller.

“They’ve asked us to be their parts reseller as well as their complete line reseller.I’m sure if asked they would sell to other dealers. But they’re directing most inquiries to us.”
                  Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• ivanhouston
                    • Feb 2011

Oh, I was referring to these. The picture on the left is of the 8566 pulled from the Cerveny website, and the one on the right is of the 7566 pulled from a website called Kirstein.de. It looks like they can both be had in the silver+gold trim. On the Kirstein site you can also see the 7566 in lacquer, which looks good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240128_142529_Keep Notes.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	119605

Comment

• iMav
                      • May 2011

Both in silver with gold trim…but different. 8566 looks more frosted.

I thought you had confirmed this…

I was told the main difference between the 7566 & 8566 is cosmetic, with the 8566 having more gold drip, as she worded it, lol.
                      Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• ivanhouston
                        • Feb 2011

Yeah, I should have followed up about what she meant by "drip", lol. I'll need to do that as I'm still a bit fuzzy on the details.

Comment

• ivanhouston
                          • Feb 2011

I should mention that my 8566 is bright silver plate, but not frosted. I noticed when I first received it that it was different than what the pictures showed.

Comment

• iMav
                            • May 2011

We’ll have to get a real-world pic of the 7566 and compare.
                            Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• iMav
                              • May 2011

Yeah, I should have followed up about what she meant by "drip", lol. I'll need to do that as I'm still a bit fuzzy on the details.
                              Got the explanation.

Originally posted by US Reseller
                              I have been told by their production manager that the only difference between the 7566 and the 8566RS is the presence of a gutter for the valves for the 8566RS. I believe the only difference between the 6566 and the 7566 is the lack of a main tuning slide trigger and the associated plexiglass guard that you would have for the trigger.
                              Not QUITE from the horse's mouth...but testimony within earshot.

(perhaps this is why they don't bother to make a distinction between the 7566 and the 8566RS in their catalog...or perhaps, it is simply a fairly new addition)
                              https://www.vfcerveny.cz/images/cata...-cataloque.pdf

Some additional praise for the Cerveny euphs:

Originally posted by US Reseller
                              I am a tuba player by trade and purchased one of their rotary euphoniums because it was more tuba-like (or so I assumed), I had a King 2280 for 20+ years and never liked compensating euphoniums. The first time I played the 7566, I strongly questioned my decision to purchase the rotary euphonium. The two examples that we had in our shop sold quickly and were absolutely fantastic.
                              Last edited by iMav; 01-30-2024, 06:18 AM.
                              Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• ivanhouston
                                • Feb 2011

Wow, thanks Larry. May not be much incentive to purchase the 8566 over the 7566.

Comment

Working...
                                X