View RSS Feed

davewerden

New Video - Yakety Youff, Dave Werden, Euphonium

Rate this Entry
I just released a new video on YouTube. This is what I used for an encore on my Feb. 2013 recital at the University of Wisconsin, Eau Claire. It's played from the sheet music for "Yakety Sax," which was a #1 hit by tenor saxophonist Boots Randolph, and was later used extensively on "The Benny Hill Show."

For a euphonium player it is an unusual challenge. First there is the style in general. While Boots Randolph played very short, "slap-tongued" notes (I think that is the proper definition), those don't produce nearly the same effect on euphonium. So instead I chose more of a commercial or jazz or swing style. Second is the different techniques required. There are a few glissandi that require half-valving to produce the trombone-smear-like sound; I used "flips" in places; there are volume-pulsing effects that are not too usual technically, but not called for much on euphonium (other than on the melody accents in Carnival of Venice ); and there is a "rip effect I use a couple of times (one fingering used on a rough, wide lip slur).

Some might call it corny. I just call it fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNTBXcUa838

Submit "New Video - Yakety Youff, Dave Werden, Euphonium" to Digg Submit "New Video - Yakety Youff, Dave Werden, Euphonium" to del.icio.us Submit "New Video - Yakety Youff, Dave Werden, Euphonium" to StumbleUpon Submit "New Video - Yakety Youff, Dave Werden, Euphonium" to Google

Comments