View RSS Feed

Most Popular Blogs

1. Concert Polka - Special Cadenza - Free Download

I've had several questions about my cadenza in my solo of Concert Polka. On YouTube the video I posted of this solo features a different cadenza from what is written. It has a couple non-standard techniques. The simpler of the two is simply a "messy gliss" (like a French horn section often does in dramatic passages, where their upward slur is not clean, but rather includes all the partials along the way). The second one is simple enough if you have a decent lip trill ability, but it will test your ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Files
  2. Is Euphonium a B-Flat or C Instrument?

We euphonium players are certainly long suffering! It starts with the very name of our instrument - is it a baritone or a euphonium? (The preceding phrase is linked to an article where I address the question, for those who are confused.)

Beyond that, many amateur and even some non-euphonium-playing professional players are not clear whether a euphonium is pitched in Bb or in C. Most publications that include euphonium parts, which may be called either "Euphonium" or "Baritone Horn," ...
  3. The Magic of Old Instruments

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

On this forum and others we often talk about the "magic" of old horns. I have personally used the "m" word to describe the tone of the old, British-built Bessons. The reasons are many. No doubt materials, design, and construction methods enter into it. Age is also a factor. I've heard (from a very knowledgeable source) that a twisty brass instrument could have stresses at joints if not enough time is taken to make sure the metal is happy in its new configuration. The ...

Updated 12-26-2019 at 06:01 PM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , General Tuba-Euphonium Blog , Instruments and Equipment
  4. CD: Gary Curtin - Eire Time

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CoverFrontThumb.jpg 
Views:	6241 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	8054In the connected world we live in one has a chance to hear many different, talented euphonium players from all over the world. There is YouTube, of course, but I prefer to have "hard copy" for any music I want to be sure I can still access years from now. Fortunately, there are many great euphonium CD's available now, and ordering from overseas or from the specialty shops we have in our own country is a simple matter.

Recently it has been my great pleasure ...

Updated 12-01-2020 at 07:57 AM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , General Tuba-Euphonium Blog
  5. Memorizing and Sight Reading

I would like to memorize more often than I do. Playing without music, once you get to the point where you really have it memorized, frees you in several ways. But it takes time to get to that "safe" point.

When you are looking at the music stand you are somewhat "locked" in position. That could actually be an advantage in a recording session if there is a mic on your bell, but for a live audience it limits your freedom to move along with your musical expression. You may also find that
  6. No Dog and Pony Show in Church

Many years ago I had the good fortune to be able to buy a double-bell euphonium. Its uses are somewhat limited. I own an excellent professional-quality euphonium, which does a better job in most cases. But now and then it is nice to play the double-bell euphonium, either as an educational tool or because its qualities are appropriate to the medium at hand.

I have used it a few times for solos like Carnival of Venice. In this setting it is very effective when I switch quickly between ...
  7. New Tuba CD Review: Nick Etheridge, Once Clear Call

Nick Etheridge

One Clear Call - New Music with Tuba

This album is part of a larger project by the gifted tubist Nick Etheridge to record a variety of music that features tuba. He is not limiting himself to the usual concerto-type, sonata-type, or variations-types of compositions, but rather is using creative arrangements and compositions to create many different moods and textures. On this recording the instrumentation uses mixed ensembles including (on different tracks) ...
  8. Video: David Childs, A Little Prayer

Here and see the great euphoniumist David Childs (yes, he is a son of one of the Childs Brothers) doing A Little Prayer. The British seem to have a real heart for this type of music, and a fine artist like David can make it really great. (Also watch him play Flight of the Bumblebee and Brillante)

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast