View RSS Feed

General Tuba-Euphonium Blog

1. Evaluating the Adams Custom Euphonium

As I have announced earlier I am now playing the Adams Custom Euphonium. Of all the horns I've ever tested, this one was clearly the best choice for me. Several colleagues have asked me for more detail about why I chose Adams, so here is my perspective.

I've been play-testing professional-quality euphoniums seriously since about 1978, and I have gotten used to testing instruments in all kinds of situations. The Adams seemed to "brag" about itself a little less as I was playing in my ...
  2. Anagrams of Euphonium Player Names

Here's a little diversion if you are getting stressed out. Below are a list of euphonium players. All are living players, and as of a few days ago I could find all of them on YouTube in the first several pages of a search for "euphonium." Each phrase below is a mixed-up version called an anagram. You build an anagram by using all the letters in the name and rearranging them. No letter is duplicated unless it is also duplicated in the actual name. Do not pay attention to where the spaces fall or ...
  3. The Passing of Donald Stauffer

Legendary former U.S. Navy Band director Donald Stauffer has passed away at the age of 92. He was a tuba player who became director in 1969. Here is his obituary:

Obituary of Donald Stauffer, U.S. Navy Band Director, Retired.
  4. Methodology for Evaluating Intonation

I have been testing intonation for euphonium manufacturers since around 1980, and it soon became clear to me that there are many possible ways to get inaccurate results. Is the horn warmed up fully? Am I playing the horn's Ab or I am playing the way I always play an Ab on a different horn? Am I unconsciously bending the pitch to make it look better than the horn really plays because I favor the horn? Etc.

Whenever I ran these tests I wanted the results to represent what the horn actually ...

Updated 09-29-2016 at 08:24 AM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , General Tuba-Euphonium Blog
  5. Players Endorsing Instruments

In my conversations with brass players over several decades I have gotten the impression they believe the fact that professional players are endorsing particular brands makes their recommendations and opinions biased. In fact, that is somewhat true. But it's also true that amateur, non-endorsing players may also be biased. We all take care to choose the horn we're going to play, but naturally we have different reasons for our choice(s). It is complicated by the fact that playing a particular brand ...
  6. The Euphonium In Non-Classical Music

(This article is not meant to discuss the use of euphonium in jazz, but that may be a topic for a future post.)

One has to look hard to find them, but there actually are examples of a euphonium being heard or mentioned in popular music. I began to notice when I was in high school. First, I knew some of the songs from the musical "The Music Man," including the song "76 Trombones," which mentions euphoniums. And then there was a pop song called "What the World Needs Now (Is Love), ...
  7. New Model of a Great Cleaning Device: QHR Sudser

About a year ago I reviewed an exciting new instrument cleaning device, the Quick Horn Rinse. It is the invention of Bill Ricker. In my testing it proved a quick and convenient way to clean out your horn.

Now Mr. Ricker has improved on the original with the Quick Horn Rinse Sudser. As the name implies, this QHR model has a built-in soap dispenser to help you control the flow of soap through the bore.

Before I write about this new model, let me say that its ...
  8. IEI 2011 Is Coming Up - Don't Miss It

There is a great opportunity coming up in about a month: the 2011 International Euphonium Institute. If you don't already know about this event, it happens each year in Atlanta, Georgia, and is the creation of American euphonium artist Adam Frey. In Adam's materials he says, "Participants will be immersed in recitals, chamber music, concerts, focus classes, and master classes. Participants will also have private instruction during the week and choose to perform in master classes as well as being ...
Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast