X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbonesullivan
    • Jul 2019

Originally posted by MichaelSchott View Post
    Perhaps I was not clear. Valve front euphoniums with upright bells are an anomaly. In that context they are barely worth discussion academically. Valve front horns with front facing valves are far more common and are usually beginner horns or used in marching bands. When marching it’s far easier to balance a horn with front valves than upright. You use the crook below and to the right of the valves helps to support the horn with the thumb. These are almost exclusively non-compensating horns with 3 valves.
    I don't think I've seen a valve-front compensating horn aside from the Festivo. I have seen a good number of 4 valve front-action horns from Conn over the years of stalking the Baltimore Brass website. But most are definitely 3 valves, and usually bell front as well.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

Comment

• davewerden
      Administrator
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by tbonesullivan View Post
      I don't think I've seen a valve-front compensating horn aside from the Festivo. I have seen a good number of 4 valve front-action horns from Conn over the years of stalking the Baltimore Brass website. But most are definitely 3 valves, and usually bell front as well.
      Marzan (Willson) also have a 4-valve front-valve compensating euphonium, similar to the Festivo. They have upright bells. I think Besson actually made a similar horn for a while, and offered a curved bell (not sure, though).
      Dave Werden (ASCAP)
      Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
      Adams Artist (Adams E3)
      Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
      YouTube: dwerden
      Facebook: davewerden
      Twitter: davewerden
      Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• MichaelSchott
        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
        Marzan (Willson) also have a 4-valve front-valve compensating euphonium, similar to the Festivo. They have upright bells. I think Besson actually made a similar horn for a while, and offered a curved bell (not sure, though).
        Just FYI, Willson no longer shows the 2975 on their website. Not sure if that means it’s discontinued.

Comment

• tbonesullivan
          • Jul 2019

Interesting! I looked on google, and it looks like Marzan/ Willson made a few different versions of that horn. I don't think the Festivo is a stencil of any of them, though I don't doubt that the Marzan horn was the inspiration.

I also now see that Willson is making Three valve compensating Euphoniums, which they label as having "3 automatically compensating valves". Seems like an interesting move.
          Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

Comment

• ghmerrill
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by MichaelSchott View Post
            Valve front euphoniums with upright bells are an anomaly. In that context they are barely worth discussion academically.
            Valve front euphoniums with piston valves and upright bells are unusual. Valve front euphoniums with rotary valves and upright bells are not all that uncommon in certain areas (and Cerveny currently lists several of them). Of course, they're non-compensating, and they aren't really beginner horns.
            Gary Merrill
            Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
            Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
            Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
            1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
            Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
            1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• scubaeuph
              • May 2019

The 3+1 system was devised years ago (around 1850 I believe with the advent of the compensating system) as the recognized standard for professional horns. First for military bands it is easier to carry and play on the march. Second naturally you have much better dexterity (and strength) in your left index finger versus your right pinky. I've never figured out why the four across the top still remains out there. If a player decides to get serious about his playing, he has to move to a 3+1 anyway.

Comment

• tbonesullivan
                • Jul 2019

Thinking about the 3+1 compensating system, when did people start using main tuning slide triggers in the widespread sense? Yamaha didn't even have them until 2017, and they are usually pretty on top of things. When I first was looking into Euphoniums 5 years ago, I never saw them. Now they are everywhere seemingly. Also on some higher model tubas as well, some of which have little elastic bands all over the valve slides to bring them back to position.

Comment

• bbocaner
                  • May 2009

Interesting! I looked on google, and it looks like Marzan/ Willson made a few different versions of that horn. I don't think the Festivo is a stencil of any of them
                  The Festivo started out as a copy of a fairly rare Besson front-action model, which apparently pre-dates the creation of the Marzan, but they did quite a bit of customization of the design (and perhaps adaptation to use some of their existing tooling?) as well. I think it's fair to say it's its own independent design, with some heritage in the Besson instrument. Wessex has the instrument they started out with for sale on their web site:

https://wessex-tubas.com/collections...onium-baritone
                  Last edited by bbocaner; 08-06-2019, 03:56 PM.
                  --
                  Barry

Comment

• bbocaner
                    • May 2009

Thinking about the 3+1 compensating system, when did people start using main tuning slide triggers in the widespread sense? Yamaha didn't even have them until 2017, and they are usually pretty on top of things. When I first was looking into Euphoniums 5 years ago, I never saw them. Now they are everywhere seemingly. Also on some higher model tubas as well, some of which have little elastic bands all over the valve slides to bring them back to position.
                    I had seen custom one-off fabricated tuning triggers as early as the 1980s and I believe there was a kit available in the 1990s. But of course the Conn Connstellation had one in the 1960s and I think the idea was first tried in the 19th century, although probably not on a euphonium. I think the Besson Prestige was probably the first high-volume factory production use on a "modern" euphonium, that came out in 2002 I believe. From there, other makers saw the value and also started adding it.

Tuba players, particularly of american style front-action tubas, have a long tradition of manipulating slides while they play to adjust intonation. The models that come with straps on the tuning slides aren't necessarily elastic to bring them back to home position, I believe they are to prevent the player from pulling to far and either pulling the slide off or getting it to the point where it could become jammed.
                    Last edited by bbocaner; 08-06-2019, 04:06 PM.
                    --
                    Barry

Comment

• RickF
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by bbocaner View Post
                      (snip) The models that come with straps on the tuning slides aren't necessarily elastic to bring them back to home position, I believe they are to prevent the player from pulling to far and either pulling the slide off or getting it to the point where it could become jammed.
                      Barry is correct about tuba players using strings on their slides to prevent their slides from being pulled too far. Chris Olka is an excellent example of playing a tuba with these strings. See this video.
                      Last edited by RickF; 08-06-2019, 07:25 PM.
                      Rick Floyd
                      Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
                      Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
                      The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
                      Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)
                      ​

Comment

• davewerden
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2005

I think it was in 1980 that I saw a performer using a Miraphone compensating euph (their first model). He had a factory option of a trigger, but it worked the 1st and 3rd slides simultaneously. Simpler and clever in its own way. Didn't catch on, though.
                        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                        YouTube: dwerden
                        Facebook: davewerden
                        Twitter: davewerden
                        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• tbonesullivan
                          • Jul 2019

Originally posted by bbocaner View Post
                          Tuba players, particularly of american style front-action tubas, have a long tradition of manipulating slides while they play to adjust intonation. The models that come with straps on the tuning slides aren't necessarily elastic to bring them back to home position, I believe they are to prevent the player from pulling to far and either pulling the slide off or getting it to the point where it could become jammed.
                          Ahhh, now I see. I've seen the adjusting before, but just hadn't seen many people with the string before. I had noticed that most tubas have the first valve slide pointing upwards, so it can be easily manipulated. I also played with a tuba player who was using a F tuba with a 2nd valve slide trigger. That was definitely interesting to see.

Comment

• Sara Hood
                            • Mar 2017

"Chris Olka is an excellent example of playing a tuba with these strings." (RickF)

I think I am jealous of how effortless and smooth his slides seem to work. It barely seems that he is pushing or pulling on them at all. I wonder what his secret, and choice of lube, is.
                            - Sara
                            Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

Comment

• tbonesullivan
                              • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Sara Hood View Post
                              I think I am jealous of how effortless and smooth his slides seem to work. It barely seems that he is pushing or pulling on them at all. I wonder what his secret, and choice of lube, is.
                              - Sara
                              Most likely, his secret is a tech that lapped the slides for him, making them smoother and decreasing the diameter just a bit. That would make them easier to move, and then he probably uses "Slide Oil" instead of "Slide Gel" or "Grease".

I had the opposite problem on a trombone, and the tech just put a dent ball inside one leg, increasing the diameter ever so slightly.

Comment

• ghmerrill
                                • Dec 2011

Most likely, his secret is a tech that lapped the slides for him, making them smoother and decreasing the diameter just a bit. That would make them easier to move, and then he probably uses "Slide Oil" instead of "Slide Gel" or "Grease".
                                Yes, this is what I did (i.e., I did it -- not a tech) to the 1st valve slide on my Cerveny 781 BBb horn. It's quite simple to do IF the slide legs are really parallel. I then used standard valve oil (Alisyn in my case) as the lubricant. Care must be taken in the lapping since you want it to work smoothly and easily, with virtually no effort, but to remain in place if you let it go or set it for "standard tuning". It should not be as loose/slick as a trombone hand slide. Finally, it's absolutely silly to do this unless you vent the valve for that slide. However, once all that's done on a standard German/Czech-style tuba, then your hand rests on the top bow and you can use the 1st valve slide to dynamically tune as needed. It worked so well that for any valve combinations involving the 1st valve I rarely used the 4th valve and confined it's use almost solely to the low range where it was really needed to lower the pitch. 4th valve combinations for "alternate fingerings" in order to adjust pitch in all registers except the contra one were generally eliminated.
                                Gary Merrill
                                Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
                                Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
                                Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
                                1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
                                Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
                                1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

Working...
                                X