X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bdawley81
    • Mar 2017

New Adam's E1

I'm super excited. I ordered an E1 through Bridgepoint Music in California, and it will be arriving sometime next week. I can't wait to start breaking it in! It has .60 thickness, and sterling silver bell, brushed lacquer.
    Ben Dawley
    Music Director
    Solo Euphonium, Five Lakes Metro Brass Band

Besson Prestige 2052 (Gold)
    Shires Q41S (Medium Shank)
  • MichaelSchott
    • Mar 2012

Congratulations Ben!

Is this replacing the Sterling? Can I ask why you chose the E1 as opposed to the other 2 models?

Comment

• ChristianeSparkle
      • Jun 2018

Nice! Congratulations! Been reading the thread on the Adams lately and been drooling over it
      "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
      Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
      https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Comment

• bdawley81
        • Mar 2017

A couple things factored in to my decision. A couple years back I play tested an e2 and it was pretty good. Bit for me the sound just seemed stiff and stale. I know other folks have gotten great results from that model, but for me it wasn't a great fit. I loved the resonance the sterling bell gave though. The Sterling is a great horn don't get me wrong, but two things developed as an issue: 1. I got a shoulder injury, so the weight of the instrument became an issue. 2. Response of attacks and clarity of articulation. I play tested a friend's e1, and it was the perfect hybrid of my old yamaha 842 (the good aspects) and the Sterling. Great sound and fantastic response. The other huge item of consideration was price. I was able to purchase the e1 for only 7300. Virtually a steal for a custom horn with sterling silver bell. I called all over the country to Adams distributors, and they were floored by the price I was able to negotiate. I couldn't pass it up!
        Ben Dawley
        Music Director

Comment

• bdawley81
          • Mar 2017

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181222_220216_017.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	117417
          Ben Dawley
          Music Director

Comment

• bdawley81
            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by MichaelSchott View Post
            Congratulations Ben!

Is this replacing the Sterling? Can I ask why you chose the E1 as opposed to the other 2 models?
            Yes, I sold my sterling for a great price.
            Ben Dawley
            Music Director

Comment

• John Morgan
              • Apr 2014

Congratulations, Ben!! You will love your new Adams!! They are such great horns. I, to this day, and I am in my lower 70's, get as excited as a little kid at Christmas each and every time I get a new instrument. Just really something about getting a brand new horn. Anxious to hear your thoughts on the horn once it arrives.
              John Morgan
              The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
              Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
              1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
              Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
              Year Round Except Summer:
              Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
              KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
              Summer Only:
              Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
              Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• ChristianeSparkle
                • Jun 2018

Wow, it looks very beautiful! There's something about brushed silver that really gives the horn a very lovely look. The gold bits add to it even more!
                "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
                Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
                https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Comment

• JakeGuilbo
                  • Feb 2006

Congrats Ben - I live near Bridgepoint and I've played that horn and that is a good horn, a good example of the E1 with SS Bell. James at Bridgepoint is also a good guy and will help you make the horn work for you if you have questions / problems once it arrives. I went and played a bunch of horns when I bought my E3 from him and that E1 was my second choice, congrats!
                  Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
                  K&G 3.5D
                  ---------------------------------
                  Founder and Solo Euphonium
                  San Francisco Brass Band

Comment

• bdawley81
                    • Mar 2017

Originally posted by JakeGuilbo View Post
                    Congrats Ben - I live near Bridgepoint and I've played that horn and that is a good horn, a good example of the E1 with SS Bell. James at Bridgepoint is also a good guy and will help you make the horn work for you if you have questions / problems once it arrives. I went and played a bunch of horns when I bought my E3 from him and that E1 was my second choice, congrats!
                    Awesome to hear! They have been awesome to work with. I can't wait to get playing on it. I see you play on a K&G 3.5D. How does that mouthpiece compare to the Schilke 51D or SMX3?
                    Ben Dawley
                    Music Director

Comment

• miketeachesclass
                      • Feb 2016

I know you weren’t asking me, but I’ll interject.

I play on the K&G 3.5, and I came from both a SM3X and SM4X.

I find the K&G 3.5 to feel similar in size to the SM4X, with the same openness, but with a much more comfortable rim contour that allows me similar flexibility and articulation without the loss of endurance I sometimes felt on the SMX series.

I also have the K&G3 and I find that comparable to the SM3X with the same differences described above.

I tried it because I kept going between the alliance DC series (which I liked the rim contour on), and the SMX series because of its open throat. The K&G piece is exactly what I was looking for to bridge the features of both pieces I liked.

Originally posted by bdawley81 View Post
                      Awesome to hear! They have been awesome to work with. I can't wait to get playing on it. I see you play on a K&G 3.5D. How does that mouthpiece compare to the Schilke 51D or SMX3?
                      Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
                      Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

• bdawley81
                        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by miketeachesclass View Post

I find the K&G 3.5 to feel similar in size to the SM4X, with the same openness, but with a much more comfortable rim contour that allows me similar flexibility and articulation without the loss of endurance I sometimes felt on the SMX series.

I also have the K&G3 and I find that comparable to the SM3X with the same differences described above.

I tried it because I kept going between the alliance DC series (which I liked the rim contour on), and the SMX series because of its open throat. The K&G piece is exactly what I was looking for to bridge the features of both pieces I liked.
                        Super! That gives me a very accurate picture of what to expect. Thanks for the feedback!
                        Ben Dawley
                        Music Director

Comment

• franz
                          • Dec 2015

Originally posted by miketeachesclass View Post

I play with a K&G 3D and I fully agree with what was said above. K&G great mouthpieces.
                          2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Comment

• JakeGuilbo
                            • Feb 2006

Coming back to this thread late but absolutely agree with all of the above. The 3.5D feels slightly smaller to me than the Wick 4 series but I feel I'm able to obtain 90% of the Wick singing quality with 200% more endurance. I was finding that with the Wicks I would simply run out of high range way too early during long concert/rehearsal sets. Part of this has to do with how much less practicing I'm doing and also how much mouthpiece pressure I use (more than probably is needed). The narrow Wick/SM rims were pinching off my blood supply leading to fatigue (and possibly injury). I've run the gamut of mouthpieces and while I've had success with rounder pieces, I've never found anything that matched the beautiful singing Wick quality. So I'd have to choose between sounding my best or lasting throughout a concert.

Anyway the K&G meets both of these. The Wick still sounds sweeter to my ear, but not by much. As with anything, your mileage may vary but I've been playing the K&G now since April of 2017 and have yet to have that "longing" to return to the Wick series because I miss the sound. That NEVER happened with any other piece with me - I always missed the Wick sound.
                            Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
                            K&G 3.5D
                            ---------------------------------
                            Founder and Solo Euphonium
                            San Francisco Brass Band

Comment

• bdawley81
                              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by John Morgan View Post
                              Congratulations, Ben!! You will love your new Adams!! They are such great horns. I, to this day, and I am in my lower 70's, get as excited as a little kid at Christmas each and every time I get a new instrument. Just really something about getting a brand new horn. Anxious to hear your thoughts on the horn once it arrives.
                              John,
                              I've had the E1 for about a week and a half now, and I have to say it is the best playing horn I have ever played. I am totally sold on Adams! It plays with an ease and resonance that is crazy awesome!
                              Ben Dawley
                              Music Director

Comment

Working...
                              X