Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sterling Virtuoso questions

1. My recollection is that the "Custom" was an older fixed configuration Virtuoso with yellow brass 12" bell, no trigger, no gold trim, and (perhaps) a Cerveny valveset, that was marketed in the USA by Custom Music (of Michigan) for around $5,000 back in 20011-ish (around YEP-642S money). I would assume this was a Custom Music demo since I don't believe anyone else marketed a Sterling Virtuoso "Custom" model. If this has the Bauerfeind valveset, it is a particularly good buy, but it may have a valveset built either by Cerveny or a Chinese manufacturer. This horn should play with most (if not all) of the characteristics of any Sterling Virtuoso, and definitely would be superior to a JP234/JP374.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

2. Thank you Doug. Do you know when the valve sets were of Bauerfeind, Cereveny or chinese manufacuture? Thanks!!!

3. Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Willson View Post
    Thank you Doug. Do you know when the valve sets were of Bauerfeind, Cereveny or chinese manufacuture? Thanks!!!
    No I do not know. Good question to ask the seller. I can tell some things by looking at pictures.
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

4. Thank you!

5. Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    My recollection is that the "Custom" was an older fixed configuration Virtuoso with yellow brass 12" bell, no trigger, no gold trim, and (perhaps) a Cerveny valveset, that was marketed in the USA by Custom Music (of Michigan) for around $5,000 back in 20011-ish (around YEP-642S money). I would assume this was a Custom Music demo since I don't believe anyone else marketed a Sterling Virtuoso "Custom" model. If this has the Bauerfeind valveset, it is a particularly good buy, but it may have a valveset built either by Cerveny or a Chinese manufacturer. This horn should play with most (if not all) of the characteristics of any Sterling Virtuoso, and definitely would be superior to a JP234/JP374.

Doug
    Doug, could you please look at these pictures and let me know what you can tell (good or bad) regarding the age, custom or standard Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1305.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	4.15 MB 
ID:	7372Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1306.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	3.84 MB 
ID:	7373Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1309.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	4.21 MB 
ID:	7374options, etc.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Willson View Post
    Doug, could you please look at these pictures and let me know what you can tell (good or bad) regarding the age, custom or standard options, etc.
    Wendy,

VERY nice looking instrument. This horn definitely would be significantly superior to any JP374/JP374 horn.

It is a pretty recent instrument with the current (new) style trigger design that uses a thumb screw on the pushrod to set tuning. My older horn had a turnbuckle system on the trigger pushrod and used a screw stop (like a trumpet has on its 3rd valve) to set tuning, though I have modified mine to use the modern pushrod. I am pretty certain that the valveset is NOT Bauerfeind since Sterling hasn't used them for the better part of 10 years. This instrument looks to be very similar to the new horns that Baltimore Brass carries.

Doug
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

7. Thank you Doug. How do I confirm it it has a heavy or standard bell? What determines which is preferable? Thanks!

8. Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Willson View Post
    Thank you Doug. How do I confirm it it has a heavy or standard bell? What determines which is preferable? Thanks!
    Only way to tell is by the model number inside the bell down near the joint with the bottom bow. A 1065 is standard weight bell. A 1065H has a heavy bell.

Not a huge difference between the two. Both are great horns. Most Sterlings have 12" (305mm) bells. Mine is 11.81" (300mm) and they are also available in 310mm (12.2"). I wanted the heavy bell with gold trim. Thus my horn is a 1065HGS.

Heavy bell horns can take more power without breaking up or sounding rough, but generally are not as responsive and may be a bit more difficult to play softly.

Doug
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

9. Thanks! I appreciate the education!

10. Two more questions!

Does the weight/thickness of the bell impact the intonation of the Sterling Virtuoso? If so, which one produces better intonation?

How does the sound of a Sterling Virtuoso with a standard bell compare to a Willson 2900?

Thanks!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast