Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kurun & Gilbert (K&G) Mouthpieces

Thank you everyone for your inputs!

Thanks Franz for the photo. Interesting, I was expecting the contact point to be all silver after 3 years, but it doesn't seem to be the case!

I have another question that is a rather general one, yet could be specific to the K&G mouthpiece.

I've read that a sharper edge in the cup usually is followed by less stamina, is that the general rule? I read in this thread that the K&G mouthpiece is sharper than the Wick AL, but have read a few posters here, Mr. Franz included, who mentioned that their stamina increased overall. Wondered why that's the case.

Thank you!
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianeSparkle View Post
    Thank you everyone for your inputs!

Thanks Franz for the photo. Interesting, I was expecting the contact point to be all silver after 3 years, but it doesn't seem to be the case!

I have another question that is a rather general one, yet could be specific to the K&G mouthpiece.

I've read that a sharper edge in the cup usually is followed by less stamina, is that the general rule? I read in this thread that the K&G mouthpiece is sharper than the Wick AL, but have read a few posters here, Mr. Franz included, who mentioned that their stamina increased overall. Wondered why that's the case.

Thank you!

The edge profile of the K&G mouthpieces is identical for all models, from trumpet to the tuba. Some here, as Super Ted assert that they have a clear edge that cuts the chops:I do not find it all like this:they have the most comfortable profile I've ever had on the various mouthpieces I've played over the years: I can play for hours, even on the high register, without accusing the slightest failure: I also did some tests changing the mouthpiece: after a bit of play on the high register, I feel a certain fatigue that I do not feel on K&G. It can certainly be an individual matter, but the majority of players here think like me.
    Last edited by franz; 02-12-2019 at 11:26 AM.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

I've recently received a k&g mouthpiece but was curious about something. It was custom plated by the seller and I've noticed the surface inside the cup is not as smooth as the outside. A little not as well done? Would he affect anything at all?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190302_235152.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	6697
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Well, if the signs are marked, they certainly have some influence on the passage of the air. However no mouthpiece manufactured would leave the inside surface with obvious signs that, if present, means that a modification was made to the inside profile of the cup. The latter is made with specific curves specifically designed to convey the air in the horn in a certain way and, if you make a change ( I speak from experience), almost certainly the result will be a worsening compared to the original. I modified several mouthpieces over 30 years, with mixed results, in positive cases due more to luck than to skill, even though now I have acquired a certain experience that allows me, in the rare cases when I venture to change a mouthpiece that does not satisfy my taste, to get a satisfactory result. If the signs inside the cup cause problems you can remove them by polishing the surface with diamond paste ( you can put the mouthpiece on a drill fixed in a vice) and them make it plated again. If you find a honest craftsman ( like the one from which I go) you should not spend more than a few dollars.
    Last edited by franz; 03-03-2019 at 11:33 AM.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

It's not really marked, just not as smooth as the rest of the mouthpiece. I was told that it was just not polished, so the surface is matte instead of glossy and smooth like the rim and outside of the mouthpiece. It made sense I guess? So I was worrying for no reason.

That said, I am really loving the mouthpiece from my limited time with it! Not sure it's the the honeymoon period so everything feels good psychologically, but I was surprised by how comfortable the mouthpiece is. Was afraid it was a huge jump from 5al to a 4d, but had no issues. Definitely going to play on it for some time and see how it goes

6. Tried the K&G 3.5D for a couple of weeks now and it's starting to grow on me.
    Sound for me is focussed, warm and with a good projection. Facilitates the extreme high register a bit better then the Warburton Demondrae i'm coming from. (still love that mpc though)
    The warburton gives me better endurance (probably because of the extremely comfortable and wide rim) the K&G has better articulation and a bit more flexibility. Also the Warburton starts to sing in the high range, the K&G sings more across the entire range.

I'm going to stick with the K&G for a couple of months to see how things develop.
    Last edited by DutchEupho; 05-02-2019 at 01:39 AM.
    Euphonium: Adams E3 Custom Series (SS Bell)
    Trombone: Benge 175F

After a few months of K&G 4D, (i went from a DW 5AL) I have to say, I am really enjoying the mouthpiece. I am not sure if the mouthpiece is shallower than the 5AL, but whenever I go back to the 5AL, it feels like my air was like an arm that's grasping for something that's just slightly beyond my reach, if that made sense.

I am glad to say that I had no issue transitioning to the 4D, as I initially thought I'd be with the 5AL for a long time after just moving on from the 6 1/2 AL-B in Oct last year.

I have been playing with K&G mouthpieces for 4 years now and I couldn't be happier with them but......
    last week I dug up a K&G mouthpiece for baritone I bought at the time but I didn't like the sound, so I tried to change the cup profile but, by mistake, I lowered the edge too making it thinner by about one millimeter. A mouthpiece cam out with the cup with the V-shaped profile, 28 mm internal diameter and 6 mm edge. I wanted to throw it away, but I kept it, and last week it happened to me, I played it on euphonium for a while and was pleasantly surprised:it has a good sound, pianissimo attacks come out easily, the dreaded high C# is safer, just like the high E, the pitch is good; I lose a bit like resistance and it requires more air.Last night I tried it with the band and tonight I will use it at the concert. We will see the developments.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchEupho View Post
    Tried the K&G 3.5D for a couple of weeks now and it's starting to grow on me.
    Sound for me is focussed, warm and with a good projection. Facilitates the extreme high register a bit better then the Warburton Demondrae i'm coming from. (still love that mpc though)
    The warburton gives me better endurance (probably because of the extremely comfortable and wide rim) the K&G has better articulation and a bit more flexibility. Also the Warburton starts to sing in the high range, the K&G sings more across the entire range.

I'm going to stick with the K&G for a couple of months to see how things develop.
    DutchEupho,

I am curious about your switching to the K&G 3.5D. You have been a Demondrae mouthpiece user like me. I have used it ever since I got my Miraphone M5050, which is about 5 years or so. When I switched horns, to the Adams and the Wessex Dolce, I used the Demondrae on those horns, too. And I am still using it.

I do have one thing peculiar that has started in the past several months. Sometimes, not always, when I play the in staff Eb concert and hold it, usually at softer dynamics, the note starts to become unstable and very raspy, and I actually lose the note (usually end up on another 1st valve note). This is the craziest thing. I have several other mouthpieces, so if I try them, I don't have this problem. Just with the Warburton Demondrae mouthpiece. And not always. It is almost like there is some strange vibration going on with that one note. And with that one mouthpiece. You know how when you maybe play a certain note in a particular room and it causes something to vibrate?

I am considering trying the K&G 3.5D. How would you characterize it in comparison to the Demondrae (which I really like in spite of this peculiar happening with Eb)? Is the K&G 3.5D similarly sized to the Demondrae? Where did you buy yours from, directly from the K&G website? Thanks in advance for your response.

John
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Hello. Can anybody tell me with certainty which measure of K&G is closest to the SM5? I asked the manufacturer directly and they naturally replied that the 5D has the same diameter as the SM5. It is actually smaller than the SM5 ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast