Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brass Bands in the US

1. Reviving a bit of an old thread, sorry.

I'd say they're on the rise. There are now at least 4 in Arkansas, including the newly formed Arkansas Musicworks Brass Band who won the US Open in 2018. I'm the executive director for that group but we actually have two in Northwest Arkansas, one in Little Rock, and one in Northeast Arkansas as well.

Fountain City (Kansas City) has had the most competitive success internationally, recently or ever(?). They've also got multiple feeder bands as well.

BTW, our band is looking for a fill-in euph player to come to two competitions with us this year. Please message me if you know of someone that may be interested.

2. There is a British Brass Brand that plays around here, but I had never heard of them until I recently began searching for somewhere to play. Hard to say whether that's because they don't perform very often or simply that they have a marketing problem.
    Last edited by lzajmom; 02-22-2019 at 07:53 PM.

3. Is there anyone here who attended NABBA over the weekend? I was there with the Capital City Brass Band.
    James Kircoff
    Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
    Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

4. Hi. I was there with New England Brass Band. Also 2nd section.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

5. Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    Hi. I was there with New England Brass Band. Also 2nd section.

Doug
    Hi Doug! You played in the morning session when I was in solo and ensemble competitions, so I was unable to see you or any of the morning second section bands. Capital City was the first second section band in the afternoon, and after we played I was band guide for the Brass Band of Central Florida (wow are they good). It was a great weekend - so many talented and friendly people!
    James Kircoff
    Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
    Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

My teacher, Tony Clements, conducts the Mission Peak Brass Band in Northern California and that's the only brass band I've seen in concert.
    Natalie Colegrove
    @misseuphonium

7. Quote Originally Posted by mscolegrove View Post
    My teacher, Tony Clements, conducts the Mission Peak Brass Band in Northern California and that's the only brass band I've seen in concert.
    I went to high school in 1968/29 with Tony after his family moved from the Bronx (he graduated in 1970). I have talked with him about Brass bands. He enjoys the Mission Peak band, but last I heard, he didn't care much for the competition part of brass banding. Sometimes I am ambivalent about the competitions, but the chance to get together with 1400 hundred other like minded folk once a year at NABBA and hear some of the best performances of the year is something I cannot turn down. I get to see so many colleagues and friends that I would not otherwise see...

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I can get a little bit competitive, but for me the true value of a competition is forcing the ensemble to get things to a very high level. So often if you are just performing concerts there's a "good enough" level of preparation which is a long long way from both technical perfection and the highest level of artistry your group can achieve. Participating in a contest really forces the issue, and that's a very healthy thing for the group!
    --
    Barry

9. Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    I can get a little bit competitive, but for me the true value of a competition is forcing the ensemble to get things to a very high level. So often if you are just performing concerts there's a "good enough" level of preparation which is a long long way from both technical perfection and the highest level of artistry your group can achieve. Participating in a contest really forces the issue, and that's a very healthy thing for the group!
    This is the primary reason why I like the competition. We keep it in perspective, with our primary goal being to do our best and let the cards fall where they may. The end result is a better band and better musicians.
    James Kircoff

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123