Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Toughest music piece

Holst "The Planets"....specifically, parts of "Jupiter", a real challenge.

We just got "Variations on 'America'" (Charles Ives, William Schuman, W. Rhoads) in our folders for next month's concert. It's a piece that was requested by one of our tuba players who played in a Navy Band. It gets pretty challenging in places... especially for the wood winds. Most of it is in a minor key, but I think the crowd will like it if we get it right.

I'm going to have to 'woodshed' some of the tricky parts myself (see below).

If interested, you can listen to the Marine Band play it here:
    Ives / Variations on 'America'
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sshot-1.jpg   sshot-2.jpg  
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Right now, my community band is playing the "Dances of Galanta" by Kodaly. Most of it is totally playable but it has one or two bars with awkward fingering I have trouble getting right.

I have to laugh at the idea of "The Year of the Dragon" being one of the most difficult pieces of music. It was pretty state of the art in 1984 when it was written, but these days it's downright easy compared to most any newer brass band test piece, and is most often used by lower section bands.
    --
    Barry

tonewheeler:

I tried to email to your account's address but it got bounced, so I am wondering if your account was hacked (because of the two "///" posts above).

Because the email was bounced I changed your password. You can use password reset feature to get it back, assuming that your email is d*****3@y****.com. If that is not the correct email, then contact me here:

http://www.dwerden.com/contact.cfm

Thanks.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

New to the site here.

I agree with the posts about Festive Overture and The Melody Shop. Played both many times. When I was playing with the US Army Europe Band years ago, we played both on tour. I decided I was going to take the time to get them both down. Festive Overture, in my opinion, comes down to putting in the hours (lots of hours) to get your fingers strong enough and flexible to play the demanding sections. I love and hate that piece for the same reasons. Every time I go back to it, I have to go to the same drill again.

The Melody Shop is darn near impossible to play 100% perfect because you have to breath somewhere. I have performed it many times as part of a group. In this situation, you can actually plan to lay out a few notes here and there so you can take a quick breath. If you practice taking that breath while playing the part, it will help greatly. And as long as no more than one is breathing at a time, it will never be noticed. If playing it by yourself, prayer may help. Seriously, if you are by yourself and you have to play it in a feature setting, there are a few places where you can drop a note where it will not hurt the flow. Take solace in the fact that The Melody Shop is difficult for almost everybody out there. Fun in a group and downright scary when by yourself.

As far as the most difficult pieces I have played. That is hard to answer because I have played so many. For Euphonium parts in an ensemble, some Bernstein parts can be murder. Pineapple Poll for the beginning and Jupiter (the original key), also the beginning, stand out. Used to get Pineapple Poll on a lot of auditions. they were checking to see if I knew alternate fingerings.

As far as feature pieces, it is hard to pick out the most difficult because many take that title in different ways. I remember Symphonic Varients giving me fits in the 90s and it took significant time to prepare it for performance. I have not played it since then and I have gained a lot in the ensuing years but I suspect it would still be difficult today. I am currently preparing "Harlequin" by Sparke for an upcoming performance. That piece is tough as well.

Well all these posts about "Pineapple Poll" has caught up with me it seems. We're supposed to play this piece in our opening concert in October. That will be a tough start with the band being shut down for three months. A lot of folks don't practice enough during the off-season. I'm already planning to practice Dave's and Neal's recommended alternate fingerings for the first movement. (Euph audition advice - click 'strategies' - 'Sullivan, Pineapple Poll').

For those who haven't played this piece, you can listen to the complete recording on the publisher's webpage here:

Aflred Music: Pineapple Poll (Suite form the Ballet) - Sir Arthur Sullivan, arr. W.J. Duthoit

Last edited by RickF; 06-12-2019 at 10:45 AM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    Well all these posts about "Pineapple Poll" has caught up with me it seems. We're supposed to play this piece in our opening concert in October. That will be a tough start with the band being shut down for three months. A lot of folks don't practice enough during the off-season. I'm already planning to practice Dave's and Neal's recommended alternate fingerings for the first movement. (Euph audition advice - click 'strategies' - 'Sullivan, Pineapple Poll').

For those who haven't played this piece, you can listen to the complete recording on the publisher's webpage here:

Aflred Music: Pineapple Poll (Suite form the Ballet) - Sir Arthur Sullivan, arr. W.J. Duthoit

Good luck with that, Rick, and may the force be with you!!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

I think ALL my euphonium parts are difficult.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast