Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Contemplating 1st purchase for our student son (Intermediate+ level player)

Yes, the JP 374 at 10LBS 10Oz appears to be over 1Lbs heavier than the Wessex Dolce, which weighs 9.25 Lbs.

Worth pointing out that Wessex is working on the EP600 high grade euphonium to be apparently priced in the $3K range... Hence a possible competitor of JP 374. I do not know yet when Wessex EP600 will be released... I heard positive comments about it but in spite of my hopes, I was not able to play test Wessex EP600 at ITEC... I was there only on 05/28... And the prototype was not going to be there until 05/29 *Rolls Eyes!*

G.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Worth pointing out that Wessex is working on the EP600 high grade euphonium to be apparently priced in the $3K range...
    I'll do a review of the Wessex EP600, Eastman, and Shires euphoniums when I have a chance. I have tuning graphs for them, too. The EP600 is a horn to watch - very impressive prototype.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

That's awesome, Dave.. Are you at liberty to give us a vage indication of release timeframe for EP600?

Regards, G.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    That's awesome, Dave.. Are you at liberty to give us a vage indication of release timeframe for EP600?
    Sorry - no clue (I didn't ask). They have a little work to do yet with ergonomics.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Seems like you have a good idea of which to go for, especially the "This was the ONLY instrument we tested where our son was grinning "ear-to-ear" within the first 5 minutes of playing."

The 374 might be a worthy investment if you and your child are looking at the long term community band playing (and IF your child won't turn into a euph gearhead in the near future ).
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

6. Interesting news about the Wessex EP600. It definitely sounds like an exciting option for others in the near future. I think I may have seen a recent YouTube upload of Matoniz at a trade show performing one. Assuming the price is in the mid-$3,000’s, it’s unfortunately out of contention for me. I’m really pushing it by just considering the JP374.

ChristianSparkle - Did you encounter any issues with the tuning on the 1st valve on your JP274?

How does one acquire a nicer mouthpiece? Is there some kind of measuring method (like sizing one’s shoes)? Or do you just take a leap of faith and buy an expensive mouthpiece and see how it goes?

Quote Originally Posted by EyeInSky View Post
    Interesting news about the Wessex EP600. It definitely sounds like an exciting option for others in the near future. I think I may have seen a recent YouTube upload of Matoniz at a trade show performing one. Assuming the price is in the mid-$3,000’s, it’s unfortunately out of contention for me. I’m really pushing it by just considering the JP374.

ChristianSparkle - Did you encounter any issues with the tuning on the 1st valve on your JP274?

How does one acquire a nicer mouthpiece? Is there some kind of measuring method (like sizing one’s shoes)? Or do you just take a leap of faith and buy an expensive mouthpiece and see how it goes?
    Yeah, the EP600 seems interesting. Definitely will be paying attention to it.

On my JP274, I tune each individual slides and have the 1st and 3rd slides a little out. Though I don't think I have much issues with the 1st valve being too out of tune. I know my Eb above the staff with the 1st valve is too sharp, so I have to use 1 + 3 fingering for it. The Ab and A at the bottom of the staff were like 20 cents little flat for me, so those are the notes that I have to actively be aware and compensate for. My other notes with the 1st valve are relatively in tune.

For mouthpiece, go and try them out instead of buying blind. Too risky since it all depends on your son's lips
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

8. Quote Originally Posted by ChristianeSparkle View Post

For mouthpiece, go and try them out instead of buying blind. Too risky since it all depends on your son's lips
    So music stores will allow people to do this? I would have thought they wouldn't allow it for hygienic reasons (or, let's say a person has TB or something like that).

Yes, they generally do allow people to test out mouthpieces. I think many music stores have demo mouthpieces too, but I may be wrong. I was able to test some mouthpieces when I visited one some time ago.

10. Hi again everyone,

In case anyone was curious, the Euphonium we ended up purchasing was the $2900 JP374S Sterling.
    We were fortunate enough to be able to pick up the same exact instrument that was tested, and it looks & sounds great.
    Most importantly, our son seems to be really happy with it. Perhaps we have just gotten super lucky with the instrument's achievement with intonation.
    Only way we could know for sure is if we are able to test a different JP374S Sterling in the future.
    The first "S" means silver plated, but it's the "Sterling" name that made it about $1300 more than I would have preferred to pay.
    This is not the model with the trigger... that one is denoted with a "T" in the model number: JP374ST Sterling.

We opted to put the bulk of the purchase on a 6 month interest free credit option. I hope the investment proves to be worth it.

Best Wishes, and thanks again for all of your help!
    ~ Sheldon
    Last edited by EyeInSky; 06-30-2019 at 09:53 PM.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast