Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yamaha YEP-642SII Neo, used value

Curious in general what folks' opinion here is of the 642 Neo. The person I sold my E3 to "upgraded" from a 642 Neo. (I hadn't considered that as an upgrade...both being "pro" horns and all.)

But she is definitely finding it to be an upgrade...at least for her.
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

If you haven't already, check out the comparison Matoniz does of the Neo and Custom on youtube. He does a lengthy demonstration of both (Neo dark traditional sound; Custom lighter somewhat more responsive). I believe it's more contrast than say between ADAMS E1 and E3.

I think depending on your own personal tastes, going from any pro horn to another can be perceived as an upgrade.
    Arnold (Arnie) Williams
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium with Gold Brass bell (Capitol Pops Band, Capitol Pops Tuba Euphonium Quartet)
    Yamaha YBH-831S Neo Baritone Horn (Joyous Brass, First Baritone)
    Yamaha YBH-301M Marching Baritone (Ophir Prison Marching Kazoo Band and Temperance Society LMTD)
    Yamaha YEP-830 Xeno Bass Trombone (Sacramento Concert Band)
    Euphonium: DW Heritage 4AL (main); K&G 3D (Ophir Prison Band)
    Bass Trombone: Ferguson M Series Jeff Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    Curious in general what folks' opinion here is of the 642 Neo. The person I sold my E3 to "upgraded" from a 642 Neo. (I hadn't considered that as an upgrade...both being "pro" horns and all.)

But she is definitely finding it to be an upgrade...at least for her.
    I played a Neo for about 4 years and an E3 for about 15 minutes, so my basis for comparison is inherently flawed, but I'll give it a go...

Performance: It's apples and oranges. Both horns sounded nice and played in tune well. Opinions beyond that will come down to personal preference. The Adams was likely a bit darker, dare I say more "British". I suspect with time that I could get what I needed out of either horn and end up sounding like me.

Build Quality: The Yamaha did everything I needed it to over 4 years in a military band. A repair tech friend of mine noticed a few spots where the horn had some corners cut in terms of the build, but I've never played a bad Yamaha in that regard. I can't speak to the Adams over the long haul, but it felt great in the hands and the craftmanship gave off a high end vibe. The adjustable gap receivers have always befuddled me, but I haven't spent enough time with an Adams to feel compelled to figure it out - surely it's something you would get used to.

So, is the E3 an upgrade over the Neo? Eh, kinda. Mileage will certainly vary from player to player.
    Andrew Easley
    Principal Euphonium, 35th Infantry Division Band of the Kansas Army National Guard

You can get good deals via Japan-based eBayers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D3821987-1185-46A1-9391-2A9C86F070F0.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	461.9 KB 
ID:	9967
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12