Thread: Wessex Festivo

Wessex Festivo Home to paly with option to buy this used horn.

For anyone who reads this I now have a used Festivo at home that I am trying for a few days with the option to purchase. It's a different euphonium sound than what I'm used to owning the German made euphoniums with the German Swiss sound. I do love the ease of holding the horn since I grew up on a 4 valve front Conn 24I Euphonium. Very comfortable for my hand and I like the option of being able to choose which hand uses the 4th valve. The finger ring for the left hand adjusts and I'm not sure about the right hand as I don't want to force it to turn. Valve caps seem fine if your careful not to cross thread them. I'm in the process of experimenting with different mouthpieces. I find the high range very good and have no problem with hitting that high B natural. At this point, it seems to be a keeper. Hate to admit that time is creeping up on me and arthritis is there but fortunate enough to still be able to play with comfort.
    Last edited by BDeisinger; 04-26-2020 at 06:50 AM.
    B&S 3046 Baritone/Euphonium
    Wessex Festivo
    B&S PT37-S
    Schilke ST20 Tenor Trombone
    Jupiter XO Double valve bass trombone

2. Quote Originally Posted by BDeisinger View Post
    Any information about the valve length and ease of playing the Festivo for someone with arthritis in their hands. Top valve compensator is getting tricky in some valve combinations or at faster tempos. Rotary valves work well on the baryton but it's not a compensator. Thanks. I always get good advice and feedback that has been a help in the past.
    https://youtu.be/YBiWMLspe60 Check out this video. I am not sure if it will answer your question per say, but it does offer some good information about the Wessex Festivo.

Quote Originally Posted by Euphism View Post
    https://youtu.be/YBiWMLspe60 Check out this video. I am not sure if it will answer your question per say, but it does offer some good information about the Wessex Festivo.
    Thanks. I've seen that video before and there have some improvements since that was done. I'm buying a silver plated Festivo from a friend who has hardly used the horn and has given me the option to try it out first before buying. We play in community band together and let me try his Dolce when he first got it. I liked the horn but what I had at the time I liked better. Probably because I broke them in and was more adapt to their sound and intonation.
    B&S 3046 Baritone/Euphonium
    Wessex Festivo
    B&S PT37-S
    Schilke ST20 Tenor Trombone
    Jupiter XO Double valve bass trombone