Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Heavy bottom caps

Oh, glad the Spacer arrived okay and all the best trying you HBC. Thank you, enjoying being a member of this forum. Blighty cheers, Chris

2. Hello everyone,

I have been testing the new Heavy Bottom Valve Cap for around a month now and I wanted to share some thoughts about this new product.

Over the past few years, there has been a lot of experimentation with adding extra parts to our instruments which has always focused on enhancing the sound and responsiveness of the instrument. I remember having metal tape on certain parts of my instrument which in later years were replaced with LefreQue Plates located in similar positions, this experimentation has filtered through to instrument production with various changes being made to the instrument in production, the most notible of these changes has been the removal of the stay from the new Gold Lacquer Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium.

Between 2012 and 2015, I played on a Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium which was fitted with three half heavy bottom valve caps on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd valves and a heavy bottom valve cap on the 4th valve. This extra weight on the instrument created a darker sound and it was one of the features I missed when I switched over to a Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium.

With this comparison in mind, I was blown away when I received my new Heavy Bottom Valve Cap, the design is of such a high standard that it blends perfectly on my Besson Prestige Euphonium, the cap is easy to put onto the instrument and easy to remove which aids cleaning the valve easier. What suprised me the most was the performance of this new Heavy Bottom Valve Cap which increased my tonal stability and added a security to each note. I believe that the area surrounding the 4th Valve, is quite an open space and I believe the addition of a Heavy Bottom Valve Cap to the 4th valve adds a stability especially when using the 4th valve.

I have been impressed with this Heavy Bottom Valve Cap and it will be something that I will continue to use on my Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium. For anyone who is interested, I filmed my own comparison video which you can view on YouTube at the following link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8g06bNqBTE.

Many Thanks,

Micah Dominic Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Waters View Post
    Oh, glad the Spacer arrived okay and all the best trying you HBC. Thank you, enjoying being a member of this forum. Blighty cheers, Chris
    Hello, was wondering if you've sent out the one for me? Have yet to receive it somehow
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

4. Micah,

I now have both an Adams E3 and my 2009 Sterling Virtuoso. I have a complete set of three 4th valve bottom caps for each horn and have been experimenting with them side by side as I do my structured daily routine. With the unweighted bottom cap on both horns, the lower range is not as stable nor does it respond as smoothly as the upper range. I feel like the intervals have larger gaps and the centers of the notes are not as stable. This is most evident starting around concert C (4th valve) in the Bass clef stave and working my way down to the lowest pedal notes.

With the "1/2 weight" bottom caps, the Sterling stabilized nicely. Keep in mind that my Sterling is already quite heavy with the heavy red brass bell. Mine is the 300mm (11.8") instead of 305mm (12") or 310mm (12.2"). The very light weight Adams stabilized somewhat with the 1/2 weight valve cap, but seemed even nicer with the full weight cap, not giving up much in the way of responsiveness, but playing with a more satisfying and stable robustness in the lower range.

Adding the full weight cap to my Sterling did make it darker but it felt as though at the price of some responsiveness and liveliness. I felt like the horn was heading a bit to the "dead" side. At this point, I will continue to play the Sterling with the 1/2 size cap and the Adams with the full size cap.

More later as I get more experience. (Need to find some places to play, though).

Doug
    Last edited by daruby; 08-07-2020 at 09:54 PM.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

5. Absolute difference on my B&H Sovereign. I now feel a resonance in the bottom bow on my lap and dynamics are more easily expressed at the ends of the range. This has a definite effect on how the instrument is vibrating at certain points, so much so, that the water catcher now buzzes audibly, which while annoying, it is an easy fix but tells me that there is a change as it does not do this with the regular cap. Machining on that HBC is top notch. I cannot chalk this up to confirmation bias as the comparison is rather compelling.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Gee Whiz!! Now I am just a wee bit interested in something I thought I would never be interested in. Maybe I will try one of these things. Although the aesthetics won't be particularly great as I have the brushed finish on my Adams E3 and the silver plate will look out of place.

Dave, I can't remember. Are you using one of these heavy bottom 4th valve caps? Seems that you were, but the one you use came from Adams and not this HBC referenced in this post, ja?

Doug - If I were to get one of these things for my Adams E3, would I pick the one for the Sterling Virtuoso?
    Last edited by John Morgan; 08-08-2020 at 01:45 AM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by longhornpatino View Post
    Absolute difference on my B&H Sovereign. I now feel a resonance in the bottom bow on my lap and dynamics are more easily expressed at the ends of the range. This has a definite effect on how the instrument is vibrating at certain points, so much so, that the water catcher now buzzes audibly, which while annoying, it is an easy fix but tells me that there is a change as it does not do this with the regular cap. Machining on that HBC is top notch. I cannot chalk this up to confirmation bias as the comparison is rather compelling.
    I've just ordered one for my 1983 Round Stamp, and am looking forward to seeing what differences can be noted. I can't say I think they look good, but if the benefits are as profound as they're reported to be, I can overlook that.
    Nowt

Retired

So one question, I don't see any Heavy Bottom Caps for baritone horns on the site. Would they benefit from a HBC or would the difference be negligable (especially on a 3-valve compensating one)?
    Euphoniums
    2008 Willson 2960TA Celebration
    1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp)
    Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
    Baritone
    1975 Besson New Standard
    Mouthpiece: Courtois 10

9. Hello Doug,

This is really interesting to read, my Sterling Virtuoso was a similar spec with a slightly bigger better. I honestly loved the sound of this instrument although I have now pretty much got used to the Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium which I think is a pretty incredible instrument. My new Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium is currently being made in Germany so I am excited to see how this will develop and I equally cannot wait to get my hands on it.

I hope you are well.

Many Thanks,

Micah Dominic Parsons

10. The physics are completely different between baritone and euphonium due to the differences in the wraps. Also the desired sound on baritone is different. Having said that, while I have no desire to use heavy bottom caps on my Sterling Virtuoso baritone, I did purchase it with the optional heavy red brass bell. Paul Riggett started making the heavy bell baritone specifically for performers like me who double baritone and euphonium. It helps to keep us from overblowing the baritone, a common occurrence when you are used to putting euphonium amounts of air into the smaller horn.

I have seen heavy 1-2-3 valve caps on tenor horns, specifically the one Owen Farr uses. This is more similar to using heavy caps on cornets or trumpets.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast