Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: your council please - convoluted

1. Quote Originally Posted by Allthunbs View Post
    'd also like your opinion on how to do this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=aH2FF5RLcAIat time mark 2:21 and 2:22 and several times after that. I don't know what it's called and I'd like to know how it's done.
    They're rips. Kind of a very fast glissando. It's a pretty common jazz (and french horn) technique.

Basically, blow hard and waggle your fingers as fast as you can.

Pretty good explanation and demonstration of the technique here.

Hi Dave:

Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I'm not sure what is going on exactly, at least not on my little computer speakers. But I think you're hearing chords with a very quick, dramatic, and large crescendo, and ending very abruptly each time. If all voices cresc. uniformly it can be pretty impressive! I enjoy a lot of British brass band music for similar reasons. Some of the harder pieces leverage just that kind of thing, and those players are also great at doing things as one entity.
    I can understand your predicament. I used to use Walkman headphones and now I "graduated" to garage-sale special $1 Denon AH-D350s. I'm running a range of sound cards and all do a nice job with headphones. I highly recommend them.

Nope, this is not crescendo, although that is a part. There's something else going on there and I can't quite identify it.

As for your admiration for Brass Bands, yup, I hear you. I really admire the Grimethorpe Colliery Band. But I've not heard this effect in any of the British-discipline bands and I've not heard any other band do it either.

Thanks for the try.

Ron
    --------------------------------------------
    Allthunbs
    Dynasty BBb 5/4 contrabass (looking for the contribution of a 6/4)

Tuba Thunder - the noise of a tornado
    tuba tonnerre - le bruit d'une tournade
    tuba Donner - der L?rm eines Tornados

Hi Megan:

Quote Originally Posted by megan View Post
    They're rips. Kind of a very fast glissando. It's a pretty common jazz (and french horn) technique.

Basically, blow hard and waggle your fingers as fast as you can.

Pretty good explanation and demonstration of the technique here.
    Nope, not even close. I went through all of the demonstrations on the link you provided and nothing came close. I also dug up some other items at similar url and nothing there either. I'm well familiar with "brass tricks" but this one escapes me at the moment.

Thanks for the reply.

Ron
    Allthunbs

I think Dave is right: "I think you're hearing chords with a very quick, dramatic, and large crescendo, and ending very abruptly each time." Also guessing that they are using big changes in their mouth cavity and airstream to change the sound, with maybe a bit of half valving between chords. With everyone doing this in unison, it can be quite effective. The Sotta Voce quartet does something similar, but not quite the same, in this promotional video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXSGUgbmKAQ
    Last edited by JTJ; 12-23-2012 at 10:16 AM.

5. Good luck!!
    Last edited by bpwilliams; 12-23-2012 at 07:32 PM.

6. That's not something normal. Meaning, an everyday technique. That's something worked up by the Blue Devils, and it's not a rip, it sounds more like a combination of a very tight crescendo, a series of pitch changes, and a very tight ensemble playing intricate rhythms. Don't fret over not figuring it out, you will probably never be called on to do that.

Hi Eupher61:

Quote Originally Posted by eupher61 View Post
    That's not something normal. Meaning, an everyday technique. That's something worked up by the Blue Devils, and it's not a rip, it sounds more like a combination of a very tight crescendo, a series of pitch changes, and a very tight ensemble playing intricate rhythms. Don't fret over not figuring it out, you will probably never be called on to do that.
    Nuts! I want to try it. First, though, I've got to find out what it's called. With technology today it shouldn't be difficult to pull it apart. That's the next step. ;-)
    Allthunbs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123