Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old York/Besson v. Jinbao

Old York/Besson v. Jinbao

I have a horn at school that I use, but not having a car sometimes makes it too difficult to bring home the giant case for my horn. So I'm looking into buying a cheap horn to just have at home. Things I want from this horn is compensating systems, and good shape. Would you guys suggest buying a used York, Besson, Yamaha, or even the Jupiter XO. Or should I buy something on the Jinbao side, like a Wessex, Mack, or Schiller. I mean for about 1.5k these Jinbao's might be what I need. This would not be my performance horn, just something to practice on. My budget for an old used horn lies about at 2k, it has to be 4 valve, compensating and wouldn't need constant repairs. If anyone has something FS, or just suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
    Marco Santos - Marcher and Performer
    Guardians Drum & Bugle Corps 2015
    Blue Knights Drum & Bugle Corps 2016, 20i7, 2018

Adams E1
    Modified Schilke 52E2 by Justin Gorodetzky

I've been very happy with my Jinbao. It is my full-time horn, practice and performance. But I would stay away from the Schiller stamp, because of whom you would have to deal with to get one.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Texas, where every thing is bigger & BETTER
    Why not just get a gig bag? I think that you should practice on one horn so you can feel consistent with one horn. Lugging a euphonium around is just part of the deal. Plus it gives you callouses and builds charachter.

For 2k you could get a pretty nice used horn on eBay.

I just returned from ITEC and one of my missions (self assigned) was try try some of the low/mid-range priced horns. In that realm I tried the Gemeinhardt (really interesting, but not quite ready for prime time), Jupiter XO, JP Sterling, and Wessex. Of all those, the Wessex was the easiest to play, had a nice sound, and had the best intonation of the lot. I would personally stick with the Dolce model, passing up the Dolce Cantabile. The latter has a trigger, but it is not placed well yet. They are working on it. But intonation is pretty workable without.

Check out the additional instruments on my intonation page now:
    Compensating Euphonium Intonation graphs

Wessex euphonium page:
    http://www.wessex-tubas.com/euphonium/
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I've thought about getting a gig bag, but when I asked the band director if he would mind, he told me (in a 30 minute lecture) to not get one for they might ruin the horn (he knows I'm not the most careful person) and that he does not want a school horn being ruined.
    If I were to buy a used horn on eBay, which ones should I go for?
    The Wessex Dolce Cantabile, if I waited about two or three months for them to sort out the trigger, would it be a better choice?

Adams E1

In general, only get a trigger if you need it. Otherwise you are adding more maintenance and another possible point of failure.

Go to the intonation page above and compare the Wessex to one of the pro-level horns that is not usually used with a trigger, like a Willson 2900 or Yamaha 641. As you look over those tendencies, also remember that a trigger is only useful on sharp notes.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Thanks Mr. Werden, did you notice any difference between the Dolce and the Dolce Cantabile except for the trigger?

Adams E1

I'm under the impression that the only difference is the trigger. One of our members is with Wessex, so perhaps he will confirm. The only one I tried was the Cantabile (that was the only model present, if I recall).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

I remember the Vento 900SG was a pretty good horn when i tried it out at Texas Music Educators Association convention this year. It had gold trim and a trigger, played really nice for a chinese horn. You should try to get a horn that's closest to your 451.

Are you renting your horn from the school? Does your school have other horns? If they do why don't you ask your director to rent out a second horn?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast