X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ann
    • Oct 2014

WTB Eb Alto (Tenor) horn

Hi, I am new to this forum. I'm 49, and learned to play french horn as an adult (several years ago). I played clarinet from elementary school through high school, then did not play an instrument for many years. While taking horn lessons, my neck started hurting all day (spine). I finally gave up on the lessons and put the horn in the closet (my horn's a Conn 11DS). Spine soon felt fine. I am playing clarinet again, but miss playing a brass instrument. I'd like to find an Eb Alto Horn to play, either at home for fun, or maybe eventually in a community band. I thought maybe an alto would be easier on my spine... but I cannot find one locally, other than a Jean-Baptiste, new for $399 - I'd like something of better quality than the Jean-Baptiste, without spending thousands on a new professional instrument (looking for a student Yamaha or similar quality). Does anyone have suggestions on where to find a decent used alto? On ebay, for the most part I see instruments that are either too expensive, or that are brands to stay away from.

Thanks,

Ann
  • Msan1313
    • May 2014

What do you consider a brand to stay away from?
    Marco Santos - Marcher and Performer
    Guardians Drum & Bugle Corps 2015
    Blue Knights Drum & Bugle Corps 2016, 20i7, 2018

Adams E1
    Modified Schilke 52E2 by Justin Gorodetzky

Comment

• Ann
      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Msan1313 View Post
      What do you consider a brand to stay away from?
      Since I have never bought an alto horn, I am just going by what I have read online... but brands such as Mendini, Merano, Durand, Cecilio - those on ebay that are brand new for around $200. Maybe I am wrong about those, as I have never played them. What I'd like to find is a reputable brand, used, doesn't have to be beautiful and shiny, but a horn that is in good playing condition for me to learn how to play.

Comment

• Snorlax
        • Mar 2007

Ann,
        Here's another point to ponder...an E-flat alto horn is generally not found in American wind ensembles. The standard instrument is the French Horn in F. So an E-flat alto might not be a welcomed instrument in most bands AND not much band music THESE DAYS is written for any horn-type instrument in E flat. If you're in a band that plays a lot of ooooold warhorse transcriptions, then there MIGHT be E-flat alto parts.

If there is a British-style Brass Band in your area, then you are good to go. The E-flat alto horn is a British Brass Band instrument that the British call a Tenor horn.

Why not consider an older American-style baritone horn (NOT a British Baritone) with the bell forward? They're not heavy and would be a nice fit in a community band.

FWIW, I have a spinal fusion of L4-L5 and I can hold my compensating euphonium fine at rehearsals. ;-)

Just all FYI
        Jim
        Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
        Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
        bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
        Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
        Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
        Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
        www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Comment

• davewerden
          Administrator
          • Nov 2005

If you don't mind going to a larger bore, then an American-style bell-front euphonium might be just the thing. Here's a very nice Conn (one of the best brands):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONN-BARITON...-/221581558210

Or here is a nice King in similar format:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KING-BARITON...-/221558008387

These are the two brands I played during my public school days. Both are very easy on the body (much more than the horn I now play). The Conn is just a bit lighter usually (which might make it easier to hold up), but the King is built with a longer body (which might make it easier to rest on your leg).

The larger mouthpiece of the euphonium (the horns above are often called "baritone horns") doesn't require as much chop pressure to play high, and that might help save your neck.
          Dave Werden (ASCAP)
          Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
          Adams Artist (Adams E3)
          Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
          YouTube: dwerden
          Facebook: davewerden
          Twitter: davewerden
          Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Ann
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Snorlax View Post
            Ann,
            Here's another point to ponder...an E-flat alto horn is generally not found in American wind ensembles. The standard instrument is the French Horn in F. So an E-flat alto might not be a welcomed instrument in most bands AND not much band music THESE DAYS is written for any horn-type instrument in E flat. If you're in a band that plays a lot of ooooold warhorse transcriptions, then there MIGHT be E-flat alto parts.

If there is a British-style Brass Band in your area, then you are good to go. The E-flat alto horn is a British Brass Band instrument that the British call a Tenor horn.

Why not consider an older American-style baritone horn (NOT a British Baritone) with the bell forward? They're not heavy and would be a nice fit in a community band.

FWIW, I have a spinal fusion of L4-L5 and I can hold my compensating euphonium fine at rehearsals. ;-)

Just all FYI
            Jim
            Jim,

Thanks for your suggestions! I am a little concerned about the lack of music written for the Eb alto horn. I had not considered a baritone horn - that's bass clef? I was trying to avoid that... when I look at note in bass clef, I still have to think "All Cows Eat Grass" and "Great Big Dreams For America" - those are the mnemonics my kids were taught when learning piano years ago. I don't have a particular band in mind - we have a small band in church where I play clarinet - a very diverse group of instruments and musical abilities. We have middle-school aged children though senior citizens in the group.

When I first started learning french horn, I was in a community band where almost all of my music was for an Eb instrument (a lot of marches). I was not very adept at transposing on the fly!

What is the difference between an American-style baritone and a British baritone?

Ann

Comment

• Ann
              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
              If you don't mind going to a larger bore, then an American-style bell-front euphonium might be just the thing. Here's a very nice Conn (one of the best brands):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONN-BARITON...-/221581558210

Or here is a nice King in similar format:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KING-BARITON...-/221558008387

These are the two brands I played during my public school days. Both are very easy on the body (much more than the horn I now play). The Conn is just a bit lighter usually (which might make it easier to hold up), but the King is built with a longer body (which might make it easier to rest on your leg).

The larger mouthpiece of the euphonium (the horns above are often called "baritone horns") doesn't require as much chop pressure to play high, and that might help save your neck.

Hm, maybe I will have to consider baritone or euphonium. Are euphonium horns and baritone horns pretty much the same other than the mouthpiece? Saving my neck is what I need. I miss playing the french horn, but the neck pain was worrisome. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

• davewerden
                Administrator
                • Nov 2005

A British-style baritone is usually an upright horn with up-facing valves on the side, like most pro euphoniums (but smaller). I think for your posture, the front-valve setup is better. So I would still suggest the American-style baritone/euphonium. Most of them use the small shank mouthpiece (like a small trombone would use).

In general, euphonium music is supplied in both clefs, treble and bass. I started on trumpet, so when I switched to euphonium I used treble. Many start on trombone or directly on euphonium and usually learn bass. But the euphonium parts in brass band are always in treble.
                Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• Ann
                  • Oct 2014

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
                  A British-style baritone is usually an upright horn with up-facing valves on the side, like most pro euphoniums (but smaller). I think for your posture, the front-valve setup is better. So I would still suggest the American-style baritone/euphonium. Most of them use the small shank mouthpiece (like a small trombone would use).

In general, euphonium music is supplied in both clefs, treble and bass. I started on trumpet, so when I switched to euphonium I used treble. Many start on trombone or directly on euphonium and usually learn bass. But the euphonium parts in brass band are always in treble.
                  Well, I have learned a lot here already; I came here looking for an Eb alto horn... but now I'm rethinking that. I'll check out some of the American-style baritones on ebay. Thanks again!!

Comment

• Ann
                    • Oct 2014

Oh, just found this! http://www.dwerden.com/eu-articles-bareuph.cfm

Comment

• RickF
                      • Jan 2006

Hi Ann,

Welcome to Dave Werden's forum. All good suggestions above so I won't repeat any of it.

If you're concerned about not being able to read bass clef don't be. I only read treble clef myself. The same with the other two who are in my section (we're all trumpet refugees ). I would say about 80% of the music for baritone or euphonium is in both clefs. There are a few times that the music is only available in bass clef. Then I have to xpose it on Finale for all of us.

"Great Big Dreams For America". I've not heard this one before. It was always "Good Boys Do Fine Always".
                      Rick Floyd
                      Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
                      Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
                      The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
                      Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• Ann
                        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by RickF View Post
                        Hi Ann,

Welcome to Dave Werden's forum. All good suggestions above so I won't repeat any of it.

If you're concerned about not being able to read bass clef don't be. I only read treble clef myself. The same with the other two who are in my section (we're all trumpet refugees ). I would say about 80% of the music for baritone or euphonium is in both clefs. There are a few times that the music is only available in bass clef. Then I have to xpose it on Finale for all of us.

"Great Big Dreams For America". I've not heard this one before. It was always "Good Boys Do Fine Always".
                        I am happy to learn that baritone/euphonium music comes in both clefs! I thought it was always in bass clef. Not that I couldn't have learned it... but I've been looking at treble clef my whole life. Thanks for your reply!

Comment

• Ann
                          • Oct 2014

Thanks again everyone for your advice. Last month I purchased this cute little Holton A600 Eb alto horn locally for $150. It is in great shape and had been chem cleaned by the previous owner. I'm guessing it is from the '80s. I am enjoying playing - I know it's an instrument not played in many bands anymore, but for now I am playing the alto sax part in our church band. We only work on a couple of songs at a time, and they are in the range that I can play. I may eventually look into a baritone, but for now this is at least getting me back to playing a brass instrument, and it is fun to play!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 12 13 Holton Eb Alto Horn A600 001.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	707.6 KB
ID:	116638 Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 12 13 Holton A600 Alto Horn 006 - Copy.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	569.3 KB
ID:	116639

Comment

• davewerden
                            Administrator
                            • Nov 2005

That IS a cute little horn! Thanks for sharing.
                            Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                            Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• BDeisinger
                              • Jan 2015

Ann, the baritone horn parts are usually found in treble and bass clefs. Most of the players in our bands read treble clef. I find the valves on top are easier on the hands as I have arthritis in the right hand. I would suggest that you find a horn most comfortable for you.
                              B&S 3046 Baritone/Euphonium
                              Wessex Festivo
                              B&S PT37-S
                              Schilke ST20 Tenor Trombone
                              Jupiter XO Double valve bass trombone

Comment

Working...
                              X