X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Davidus1
    • Jul 2008

Tuba-Euphonium quartets-ensembles

How many of you are currently playing in a tuba-euphonium ensemble? I'd like to get one started in my area as we have several players but I haven't approached them yet.
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium
  • Mederlock
    • Nov 2014

I'd be interested in your guy's thoughts and advice as well, as this is something I'd like to start too
    Michael Lajeunesse
    Wessex Dolce in Lacquer, Dennis Wick 4AL with DW 'tone booster' MP sleeve
    Cosmopolitan Music Society of Edmonton, euphonium section

Comment

• davewerden
      Administrator
      • Nov 2005

I don't play in one now, but I did for about 20 years. It can be a lot of fun, especially if you all agree on the overall goal. If you just want to throw stuff together now and then for an Octubafest or something, that's fine. Or if you want to get really polished and do some serious recitals, that's fine too. But it's helpful if all 4 have the same idea.

There is about a ton-and-a-half of music out there already. Cimarron Music alone has 725 titles in the EETT format! Or you can do arrangements of your own. In our group, 3 of us contributed arrangements. These were somewhat tailored to the talents of our group (in some cases I had to modify them a bit to publish them so more groups could play them).

So go for it! It is great experience and you'll really hone your chamber ensemble skills.
      Dave Werden (ASCAP)
      Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
      Adams Artist (Adams E3)
      Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
      YouTube: dwerden
      Facebook: davewerden
      Twitter: davewerden
      Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Davidus1
        • Jul 2008

The Atlantic Tuba Quartet was a tremendous group Dave! Big fan!

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
        Yamaha 354 Trombone
        Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

• Davidus1
          • Jul 2008

Mederlock - I am playing in a community band but we have several Tuba and Euph players. I'm going to try to get something informal started just for fun this fall and if things progress try to include the group in some type of brass recital or concert if possible. I think we could even substitute with a trombone if needed but I don't think that will be necessary. As Dave mentions....there is a LOT of music available. I appreciate the point about agreeing on goals. I am mostly interested in playing for fun but would like to be able to perform at church occasionally as well. I need to research the music to see if there is appropriate church music for quartets available which I'm sure there is. I wish you well in your quest! Let us know if you are able to get a group together.

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
          Yamaha 354 Trombone
          Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

• Jrpetty24
            • Dec 2013

At UTEP, We have one that is EETT setting, and it is a whole lot of fun. We do a brass day at our university for recruiting and community bonding purposes and as part of it, our brass department gets to do a mini recital of what our students and faculty are capable of. We were lucky enough to have our quartet perform the William Tell Overture, and got quite the reaction. Most people don't know what our instruments are capable of. William Tell was a blast and truly showcased some of what the Tuba and Euphonium can do. We Typically meet once a week when preparing music, and often have some random reading sessions. We do some serious music, like William Tell, and also Night on Bald Mountain(tuba 1 has an insane part btw), but also do more fun audience pieces like Pirates of the Caribbean medley. Next semester we will be looking at more serious and Tuba quartet specific/originals and getting on the university's weekly student recital. Like mentioned by others, a common goal is ideal, but don't be afraid to venture outside the normal routine of your group.
            Adams E1 SS, Gold Brass Body .6mm DE Euph N103 Jcup, J9 shank
            Meinl Weston 2141 Eb Tuba PT 84

Comment

• RickF
              • Jan 2006

I'm not in one now but some years ago, Dr. Michael O'Connor from PBA university organized a group with 4 euphs and 4 tubas. Carlyle Weber and one of Michael's students played first part, we other two second and/or third parts. This was a lot of fun. Hearing your pitch is a smaller group is easier and I learned to listen better. We played some of Winston Morris' arrangements since Michael O'Connor got his BA at Tenn Tech.
              Rick Floyd
              Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
              Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
              The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
              Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• Davidus1
                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Jrpetty24 View Post
                At UTEP, We have one that is EETT setting, and it is a whole lot of fun. We do a brass day at our university for recruiting and community bonding purposes and as part of it, our brass department gets to do a mini recital of what our students and faculty are capable of. We were lucky enough to have our quartet perform the William Tell Overture, and got quite the reaction. Most people don't know what our instruments are capable of. William Tell was a blast and truly showcased some of what the Tuba and Euphonium can do. We Typically meet once a week when preparing music, and often have some random reading sessions. We do some serious music, like William Tell, and also Night on Bald Mountain(tuba 1 has an insane part btw), but also do more fun audience pieces like Pirates of the Caribbean medley. Next semester we will be looking at more serious and Tuba quartet specific/originals and getting on the university's weekly student recital. Like mentioned by others, a common goal is ideal, but don't be afraid to venture outside the normal routine of your group.
                This sounds like a great idea. Sounds like some challenging music as well. We will have a mixed bag with the quartet we are forming. There will be a mix of experienced and inexperienced players so we'll start with moderate level difficulty at most initially. thanks for sharing!

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
                Yamaha 354 Trombone
                Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

• Davidus1
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by RickF View Post
                  I'm not in one now but some years ago, Dr. Michael O'Connor from PBA university organized a group with 4 euphs and 4 tubas. Carlyle Weber and one of Michael's students played first part, we other two second and/or third parts. This was a lot of fun. Hearing your pitch is a smaller group is easier and I learned to listen better. We played some of Winston Morris' arrangements since Michael O'Connor got his BA at Tenn Tech.
                  Rick - Were the arrangements made for that size/type of group or were you simply doubling parts on traditional quartet music. I'm sure that is a tremendous sound with a group that size!

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
                  Yamaha 354 Trombone
                  Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

• Davidus1
                    • Jul 2008

When in the Army Band I played in a few quartets and also Brass Quintet. All were a lot of fun. I appreciate the feedback and the great stories. Good stuff!

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
                    Yamaha 354 Trombone
                    Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

• Davidus1
                      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
                      I don't play in one now, but I did for about 20 years. It can be a lot of fun, especially if you all agree on the overall goal. If you just want to throw stuff together now and then for an Octubafest or something, that's fine. Or if you want to get really polished and do some serious recitals, that's fine too. But it's helpful if all 4 have the same idea.

There is about a ton-and-a-half of music out there already. Cimarron Music alone has 725 titles in the EETT format! Or you can do arrangements of your own. In our group, 3 of us contributed arrangements. These were somewhat tailored to the talents of our group (in some cases I had to modify them a bit to publish them so more groups could play them).

So go for it! It is great experience and you'll really hone your chamber ensemble skills.
                      Are any of these recordings available in either mp3 or cd?

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
                      Yamaha 354 Trombone
                      Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

• RickF
                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Davidus1 View Post
                        Rick - Were the arrangements made for that size/type of group or were you simply doubling parts on traditional quartet music. I'm sure that is a tremendous sound with a group that size!
                        Most of the arrangements were for quartets so we had to double up. One piece I remember that we did was "Contrapunctus IX". A great fugue arr. by Mike Forbes.
                        Rick Floyd
                        Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
                        Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
                        The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
                        Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• Davidus1
                          • Jul 2008

Thanks Rick! I appreciate that.

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
                          Yamaha 354 Trombone
                          Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

• davewerden
                            Administrator
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Davidus1 View Post
                            Are any of these recordings available in either mp3 or cd?
                            If you go to Cimarron's site and search by instrumentation, for Tuba Quartet (EETT), you'll see many have MP3 files right there.
                            The Atlantic Tuba Quartet album is out of print, but I have a couple irons in the fire to work on a re-publication on CD.
                            Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                            Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                            Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                            Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                            YouTube: dwerden
                            Facebook: davewerden
                            Twitter: davewerden
                            Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Davidus1
                              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
                              If you go to Cimarron's site and search by instrumentation, for Tuba Quartet (EETT), you'll see many have MP3 files right there.
                              The Atlantic Tuba Quartet album is out of print, but I have a couple irons in the fire to work on a re-publication on CD.
                              I did notice that there were mp3s on the site. I hope you can get the re-publication going. That would be great.

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
                              Yamaha 354 Trombone
                              Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

Working...
                              X