Thread: Similar to DEG BB2BT

1. Similar to DEG BB2BT

Hi all,

I'm majoring in Music Ed on Euphonium and would like some suggestions on mouthpieces. I currently play on a DEG Brian Bowman BB2BT on a Schiller Nickel compensating euph (not the subject, since a new horn is out of my financial reach and I really enjoy the horn) and I really like the BB2BT, however, I tend to play sharp. In fact other horns I have played with the Bowman have been sharp. I recently played a Conn Helleberg 5E which helped intonation until I got tired and the pitch dropped because of the endurance factor and minimal time to get used to the mouthpiece.

Guess I'm looking for something similar to the Bowman but maybe a little longer to help add some "tubing/distance" to drop the pitch. Schilke comes to mind however I'm not a big fan of their rims but it's been a while and I might give it a shot again.

Any suggestions welcome! Thanks!!

2. Before chalking it up to the mouthpiece, try using more air. Although it seems counter-intuitive, using more air LOWERS the pitch rather than raising it.

Also, if I may pose a delicate question, when was the last time your horn had a chem cleaning or a bath? Deposits, particularly in the leadpipe can negatively affect pitch and intonation, so if it's been a while, a thorough cleaning couldn't hurt.

3. Quote Originally Posted by megan View Post
    Before chalking it up to the mouthpiece, try using more air. Although it seems counter-intuitive, using more air LOWERS the pitch rather than raising it.

Also, if I may pose a delicate question, when was the last time your horn had a chem cleaning or a bath? Deposits, particularly in the leadpipe can negatively affect pitch and intonation, so if it's been a while, a thorough cleaning couldn't hurt.
    Thanks for your reply!

My experiments have included changing the air speed and volume. Using more air did lower the pitch and most times I play on the louder side when in wind ensemble, however, the pitch still has a tendency to go sharp even when trying to lip it down. Our wind ensemble just finished playing our Christmas concert which, of course, included Sleigh Ride and with the tuner connected to my bell, the entire passage at rehearsal mark "13" I believe with the half-note melody in the trombone and euphs I was sharp during rehearsals.

I clean my horn almost every week but have not had it chem cleaned, so I will give that a try. Christmas present? Haha.

Thanks again! Any more suggestions are welcomed!

Before chalking it up to the length of the BB2BT, instrument, cleaning, or air, consider the possibility that the mouthpiece is the wrong size for YOU. That mouthpiece is very much on the small end of the scale of rim diameters that work for most euphonium players. A rim that is too small for your particular embouchure will play sharp, and lengthening it may lower the pitch but you will continue to have other problems.

I'm not saying that's definitely your situation - I don't know you. But you should consider it.

5. Since the start of this post, I have been playing around with a couple mouthpieces. The first is a Yamaha Kuwata SP that a friend lend to me for experimental purposes. After playing through the upcoming Spring concert series repertoire, working through my upcoming junior recital in (hopefully) Spring 2014, and the Winter concert series I recently finished, I have decided that the Kuwata is too large for me right now. Great sounding piece, but not my size.

Next, and possibly my last, is a Wick 5BL. I had just purchased this mouthpiece TODAY. Comfortable and does everything I want it to do. Took about 5 minutes to get adjusted to the piece. In tune and lets me push the dynamics. One thing I noticed is response is better than the other pieces I have, I suspect due to less mass, but this also forces me to be much more precise in "transmitting" the correct pitch I want. Not a problem and will aid my advancement in euph playing IMO.

Funny thing, I was set on getting the Wick 5ABL but the local music shop didn't have in silver and I saw the 5BL...the 5BS was actually the first mouthpiece I had ever purchased when I was a freshman in high school. Stuck with that to my senior year when I got my own Bach 42B trombone and got a Heritage 6BL to go with it. 5B series seems to be my "home".