X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tampaworth
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DaveBj View Post
    FWIW, when I bought my Jinbao, the thought of investment didn't enter into my decision. If in the future something happens and I can no longer play, or I get rich and famous and can buy an Adams, I will find a deserving student and give the Chinese horn to him/her.
    Pay it forward when you can. A great attitude our world could certainly use more of. Cheers!
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Comment

• John the Theologian
      • Apr 2013

I wasn't so much thinking of it as an investment. I just needed to know what was reasonable to expect. I realize that no one can predict the value of a horn and if the stencils are as good as everyone is finding them, it would likely have some value years from now. I also know that my wife is surely going to ask that question of me.

Comment

• tampaworth
        • Nov 2010

I think that if product quality continues to improve as it has, acceptance of the Chinese instruments will grow and we will see a rise in the current bargain basement prices. Can you imagine the effect if a professional ever came out and ensorsed one of them? It happened with Japan. Maybe in the future who knows. The 321 will hold its value. All in all I think it would be a wash. Whatever makes you feel good as a player keeping in mind the difference in bore sizes and 3+1 vs in line. Enjoy!
        Last edited by tampaworth; 05-11-2013, 04:18 PM.
        Bob Tampa FL USA
        Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
        Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Comment

• DaveBj
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by tampaworth View Post
          I think that if product quality continues to improve as it has, acceptance of the Chinese instruments will grow and we will see a rise in the current bargain basement prices. Can you imagine the effect if a professional ever came out and ensorsed one of them? It happened with Japan. Maybe in the future who knows. The 321 will hold its value. All in all I think it would be a wash. Whatever makes you feel good as a player keeping in mind the difference in bore sizes and 3+1 vs in line. Enjoy!
          I think you could well be correct. I'm glad I got mine when I did -- between when they got all the problems fixed and when they discover they could be charging a lot more for their product than what they are. And regardless of my endorsement of the Jinbao horns (whatever that's worth), your last line is completely on target. OP should go with whatever cranks his tractor the best.
          David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
          2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
          2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
          2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
          Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
          Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Comment

• ghmerrill
            • Dec 2011

There's a point in the evolution of every product line when the old is compelled to give way to the new (where new may mean new in terms of innovations and enhanced features, or it may simply mean new product with the same features as the old but much more economically offered). In recent memory this has happened in such areas as optics and machine tools. It is now happening in the area of musical instruments.

There is -- and there should be -- a strong resistance to the replacement of the old (the tried and the true) with the new. But at some point the new become better than the old. At what stage is this process in the case of brass instruments? I would say that it's in the "median" stage, and thus it is still very reasonable for people to choose the old over the new; and likewise reasonable for some to choose the new over the old. That's all about your goals, requirements, costs, willingness to take some risk, etc.

Several years ago I decided to buy a serious band saw. I'd sold a couple of motorcycles (one a BMW) and had sufficient cash on hand to buy just about anything I wanted. So I looked in a very focused way at features and performance, carefully comparing these across a number of products manufactured in the US, Europe, and China. It would have been an easy decision to throw top money at one of the "top" brands like Laguna. But careful investigation and comparison of features (including things like customer service) pulled me away from that. Ultimately I went for a Grizzly saw, at a significantly lower cost, that I have been extremely happy with, and extraordinarily happy with in in terms of performance and customer service. I do not think that there is a saw I would replace it with if I had unlimited funds to do so.

This is not quite the case with the current state of the Chinese instruments -- at least generally. But I think it is the case in terms of certain specific products, and it is very close to being the case in terms of a lot of products.

It's not the best choice for everyone in every circumstance. But it's a choice that has to be considered seriously.

I really don' know about the "holding value" argument since in terms of certain things (tools, musical instruments, and firearms), that argument never plays a role in my decisions. And of course as any product becomes more easily accessible at a lower cost, it will not "hold it's value" quite as well. But I just don't consider that when I'm thinking of what I want to blow into on a continuing basis.
            Gary Merrill
            Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
            Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
            Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
            1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
            Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
            1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• John the Theologian
              • Apr 2013

Thanks for all the advice about the issue of holding value. I appreciate it. The issue of holding value isn't a huge one, but has to be considered.

Does anyone have any insights into moving to a large bore horn at my age?

John

Comment

• ghmerrill
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by John the Theologian View Post
                Thanks for all the advice about the issue of holding value. I appreciate it. The issue of holding value isn't a huge one, but has to be considered.

John
                I don't think it has anything to do with age. I can say that I feel more comfortable with a smaller bore horn -- and consequently that I make better music with it.

If you don't have a compelling reason to move to horn of a certain bore? Why even consider it?
                Gary Merrill
                Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)

Comment

• John the Theologian
                  • Apr 2013

I remember a number of years ago when I tried a King 2280, which I believe, is about the same bore size as the Jinbao that I really liked its sound. If age isn't a big factor, I'm assuming I would like the large bore euphonium. I'm also assuming that trying out locally the Yamaha, if possible (I believe it's the 642?), on which the Jinbao is based, would give me some idea of how the larger bore would sound. I realize that the horns aren't identical, but if the bores are similar, I should get some idea. Does anyone else have any idea of any other horns to try to get some feel of how I would sound today on a larger bore horn? I probably only have limited options, but perhaps there are a few other horns besides the Yammie on which the Jinbao is based that I could try before actually having something like a Mack shipped for trial period.

John

Comment

• ghmerrill
                    • Dec 2011

Actually my previous response was idiotic -- though the advice is still pretty good. I've been so absorbed with the tuba recently, and switching from a fairly large bore BBb back to a fairly standard bore EEb, that it was that I was referring to. In terms of euphoniums, I do indeed prefer a large bore since from my "tuba perspective" they are all "small".

Do keep in mind that Tom's return policy on that particular instrument is that if you aren't entirely satisfied, you get all your money back -- including shipping. I know you aren't anxious to go this way without thinking it would actually be good, but it may in the end be the best approach for you.
                    Gary Merrill

Comment

• DaveBj
                      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by John the Theologian View Post

John
                      You didn't specify your age, but I was 65 when I went from the old Conn to the larger-bore Jinbao, and the results have been nothing but good. I agree with Gary -- age is not an issue.
                      David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
                      2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
                      2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
                      2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
                      Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
                      Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Comment

• John the Theologian
                        • Apr 2013

As I mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread, I'm 63-- just turned 63 a couple of weeks ago. Does anyone have any additional insights into which other brands of horns might approximate the bore size of the Jinbao to give me some similar idea of how I might sound on the Mack or other stencil? It's been quite a few years since I've tried the larger horns.

John

Comment

• RickF
                          • Jan 2006

Willson 2900, Yamaha 641 & 642, Stirling, and Adams euphoniums all have very close to the same bore of .590" or .591". The Miraphone 5050 has a bore of .610". I think the Besson pro-level horns are still at .580" but not positive.
                          Last edited by RickF; 05-12-2013, 04:32 PM.
                          Rick Floyd
                          Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
                          Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
                          The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
                          Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• John the Theologian
                            • Apr 2013

Thanks, that's very helpful info.

John

Comment

• davewerden
                              Administrator
                              • Nov 2005

FYI, I moved all the BBb, CC, and EEb tuba talk here:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...d-Why?p=120197
                              Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                              Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                              Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                              Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                              YouTube: dwerden
                              Facebook: davewerden
                              Twitter: davewerden
                              Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• bearphonium
                                • Jan 2007

A little late to the party here...from my recent perusals of several different sales sites, the going rate for a YEP 321 is between $1000-$1500 depending on age and condition. I am primarily a tuba player (despite my forum name!) and found that a large bore horn was really more my cup of tea, and picked up a Conn 19I for $850.00 off EBay. Both of my horns (tuba is a VMI 201) are "in-line four" (just like my motorcycle, but I digress) and really give me no problems.

The advantage to buying a clone is price; the disadvantage is that the quality of some horns is still suspect, and parts can be hard to come by unless you're able to modify the more available parts to your horn. (I will leave the political argument out of it. If you want some entertainment, take a look at the Tubenet Forum on Chinese horns...) The other advantage, as I see it, is that you could find that you really like the 3+1 large bore lineup. One of my good friends got a YEP 642 at the age of 68 and she just loves it (she is one of those "power" euphonium players, too...whoda guessed?); I believe she uses a mid sized Shilke mouthpiece like the 51D on it.

My 2 cents, YMMV

Comment

Working...
                                X