Thread: Church Service Participation #3 - Christmas Eve

Church Service Participation #3 - Christmas Eve

PRELUDE: Good Christian Men Rejoice
    This Christmas Eve piece is from a nice collection of carol settings by James Curnow (linked below). We played this for a church prelude on Christmas Eve, 2018.
    Buy the music book below (includes bass clef and treble clef parts and accompaniment CD).
    https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title...6?aff_id=15680
    And there is a piano accompaniment available here:
    https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title...0?aff_id=15680

OPENING HYMN: Angels We Have Heard on High
    The organ is played by Brian DeYoung (it is a Schantz organ), and I am playing on MY Adams E3 with sterling silver bell.
    The descant I used is from this book:
    https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title...3?aff_id=15680

POSTLUDE: Ding Dong Merrily on High
    Here we played from the same book of carol settings as above (published by James Curnow).
    You can buy the sheet music here:
    https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title...6?aff_id=15680

(The video of this was not usable because the camera angle could not show the euphonium and piano as people were greeting each other and leaving the sanctuary.)

Last edited by davewerden; 01-04-2019 at 08:43 PM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Nicely, done, Dave! I have the Great Carols book and those are interesting arrangements. The book comes with a play-along CD as Dave says above, and of course, you can also buy the piano/organ accompaniment book, too. I have a little trouble playing along with the CD, because once you get your horn going, it is sometimes a little hard to hear the accompaniment real well, at least for me it is, or clearly hear the beat of the accompaniment. Having the piano/organ accompaniment I think is much better.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Wonderful playing.

Thanks for the heads up on the available charts. I recently had the opportunity to play in a church brass ensemble on the bass trombone I recnetly bought, playing the tuba parts-- we had no tuba player--and I'm always looking for good arrangements. These sound very nice, but challenging. The source also had a number of brass ensemble arrangements that look good as well.

Brass music seems to be appreciated in most worship settings.

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Nicely, done, Dave! I have the Great Carols book and those are interesting arrangements. The book comes with a play-along CD as Dave says above, and of course, you can also buy the piano/organ accompaniment book, too. I have a little trouble playing along with the CD, because once you get your horn going, it is sometimes a little hard to hear the accompaniment real well, at least for me it is, or clearly hear the beat of the accompaniment. Having the piano/organ accompaniment I think is much better.
    I have this book and others as well. I completely agree that I too have a hard time playing along with the CD. Just can't hear it that well. It seems when I turn it up loud enough for me to hear that its a little much for the audience. As I don't have the availability of an accompanist very often I often play them solo and they still work quite well. I play almost every week in church. It is a was to glorify God and the feedback has been that others are much appreciative. Thanks for sharing Dave and others. Much appreciated.
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium