Size:	868.1 KB 
ID:	8197
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0440.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	8198

If interested please email me at yeringtonyeti@gmail.com

Welcome to the forum! That's a nice looking horn, there!

Do you know if it plays to A440?

Also, please confirm that you have read this mandatory post for items listed for sale:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...Items-for-Sale

Thanks, and good luck!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Hi,

I really don't know much about it. I am trying to help a friend sell it, and I don't play myself. How does one find out?

BP

Quote Originally Posted by BPappas View Post
    Hi, I really don't know much about it. I am trying to help a friend sell it, and I don't play myself. How does one find out?
    BP
    I'm not an expert on that, but I can see the serial number in the photos, and I think it says "131119" with no letter ahead or behind it. Is there any lettering above that number (it is on one of the valve cases)? Other members are smarter than I about this, but they made horns in high- and low-pitch at various times, and I THINK they usually put an indication like "L" or something. But I don't know if there was ALWAYS a letter for non-standard pitch.

Basically someone who plays low brass could play the open tuning note on the horn and see if they can match a tuner by moving the tuning slide. Any other suggestions, folks?
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

5. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I'm not an expert on that, but I can see the serial number in the photos, and I think it says "131119" with no letter ahead or behind it. Is there any lettering above that number (it is on one of the valve cases)? Other members are smarter than I about this, but they made horns in high- and low-pitch at various times, and I THINK they usually put an indication like "L" or something. But I don't know if there was ALWAYS a letter for non-standard pitch.

Basically someone who plays low brass could play the open tuning note on the horn and see if they can match a tuner by moving the tuning slide. Any other suggestions, folks?

Name:	IMG_0439 ll.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	161.8 KB 
ID:	8200

I don't see any other markings on the valve other than the SN#

This horn looks like a very nice old Conn New Wonder model double bell euphonium in original condition. If you search for "Conn Loyalist", you'll find a very comprehensive website with information and pictures regarding all things Conn. I think 1913 is a good date based on the serial number. Sometime in the 1920's Conn began assigning numbers to its models. I believe this horn is an earlier version of a model 78I or 79I depending upon whether it is low pitch or high pitch. Picture: https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/Conn...1926image.html. Because your horn has an extended section of tubing in the leadpipe just before the main tuning slide (the first bend in the tubing after the mouthpiece receiver), I think it is probably low pitch (A=440), but I agree that having someone play test the horn with a tuner is the only way to be certain.

Prospective buyers would be interested in the condition of the valve pistons, so you might want to remove them from the casings and photograph them. If you or your friend aren't very familiar with brass instruments, most any wind instrument sales/repair shop could do this as well as replace corks and felts and generally get the horn ready to play or sell.

Best of luck with the sale!

Tom

I just noticed a very similar horn for sale on ebay, probably from a music shop: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Conn-Double...Condition=3000

This horn has an adjustable forward-facing main bell, but otherwise appears identical to your horn, including the leadpipe extension. You might contact the seller to see if that horn is high or low pitch. For what it's worth, I think their buy-it-now price is rather high; I think it's been posted for a while. Others might weigh in, but about 1/2 that figure would be reasonable for a horn in that apparent condition.

Tom

Generally, a tuning slide extension means it was built in HP, adjustable to LP. Typical Conn thinking.

The other slides may be grooved to indicate where to set them for A440 intonation.

A price and location would be nice, too.

Dennis
    Last edited by highpitch; 03-04-2021 at 09:03 AM.

9. Quote Originally Posted by highpitch View Post
    Generally, a tuning slide extension means it was built in HP, adjustable to LP. Typical Conn thinking.

The other slides may be grooved to indicate where to set them for A440 intonation.

A price and location would be nice, too.

Dennis

The horn is in Gardnerville, NV. About 40 miles east of Lake Tahoe, CA on Hwy 395. About the price, I will asked the group, what is a going price for this? It was checked out about 4 years ago and hasn't been played since. Save for a few dents, it is is excellent condition.

BP
    Last edited by BPappas; 03-04-2021 at 10:50 AM.

10. This is a HP horn with an LP extension on the leadpipe tuning slide. This is quite visible in the first two pictures above. The extension is under the leather belt in the 1st and uncovered in the 2nd. Getting the horn to play in tune is a process that will take some time. Each of the 4 valve loops (1-4) then have to be pulled out and tuned to a reasonable pitch for A=440 slotting.

The good news is that with the tuning slide in the leadpipe, you tune the horn once rather than tuning the large and small sides separately. The bad news is that the "leadpipe tuning" horns usually don't sound as nice since the cylindrical length of tubing is greater and the connical doesn't start until after the 5th valve.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast