Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Draining Slides

After practicing today I notice that I do sometimes pull the 1st slide. It's easier due to my confined practice area.

Emptying a slide while playing a solo in front of the band can be tricky. I don't solo in front of the band very often anymore but I remember Fred Dart suggesting to me, "...if you have enough time during the rest, turn to face the band while they're playing and dump the water – hoping not to hit your shoes".
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I drain the condensation from my Besson 2052 from the key on the main slide, while in the others I prefer to empty extracting them. On the baritone, which requires more frequent emptying, I do it from the keys, except on the second slide that has no a key. Interesting is a video of Misa Mead where she plays " Fantasia di concerto" where, in a short pause, she discharges the condensation from the main slide unlatching and re-hooking the trigger rod of her Besson Sovreign. (6:35)

2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post
    Interesting is a video of Misa Mead where she plays " Fantasia di concerto" where, in a short pause, she discharges the condensation from the main slide unlatching and re-hooking the trigger rod of her Besson Sovreign. (6:35)
    Interesting indeed! I wonder if her main water key had a problem (like a broken spring so it had to be "tied" shut). It was actually a great show of dexterity!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I have a question to ask: do the water keys influence the sound of the horn? I recently saw, I don't remember where, an euphonium player who replaced, on his Adams, the original slides with others without any water key: he claimed to be able to feel the difference.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post
    I have a question to ask: do the water keys influence the sound of the horn? I recently saw, I don't remember where, an euphonium player who replaced, on his Adams, the original slides with others without any water key: he claimed to be able to feel the difference.
    In theory it would matter. I conventional water key has a hole in the slide with a little tube attached, the end of which is sealed by the water key's pad. That's a pothole in the passageway. On my Adams I had all the water keys replaced with Amado keys, with equates to a pothole that was patched. There is still a little dip in the road, but it is very slight. I have a dual set of slides, the other set having conventional water keys. I really can't say I feel a difference, but I can't say I don't either. If there is a difference it's very subtle. But subtle differences here and there can add up. Mostly I just think they look cleaner! I think they are also a bit quicker to empty because of the way I have mine oriented, but that is also a very small thing.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

People will say that they feel a difference in all sorts of things -- if they already know (or think) there's some kind of difference. Double blind experiments in such cases normally reveal that they really can't tell the difference. Human nature. Similar to placebo effect. People will believe thing they want to believe.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    On my Adams I had all the water keys replaced with Amado keys, ... Mostly I just think they look cleaner! I think they are also a bit quicker to empty because of the way I have mine oriented, but that is also a very small thing.
    In general they're not as efficient as classic lever-style keys because the hole is smaller. But they work well on trumpets and euphs. I put them on my 1924 tuba and they're great (but I drilled out the hole one drill size larger). Another advantage is that while it takes some experience and skill to install a regular water key and get it right, installing an Amado is simplicity itself. The only trick is to remember to keep it well lubricated.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Willson euphs have a rubber plug-like thing instead of a cork which goes into the holes so it completely closes off the hole (and little tube attached to it), I would imagine it goes up to the inside of the slide so no air disturbances would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJH View Post
    Willson euphs have a rubber plug-like thing instead of a cork which goes into the holes so it completely closes off the hole (and little tube attached to it), I would imagine it goes up to the inside of the slide so no air disturbances would happen.
    I'd forgotten about that. Yes, I expect it would help reduce turbulence, perhaps as much as an Amado key or even more. The plug would have to have a little clearance to move freely, but if made right it could make a pretty good fit.

So that shows that Willson believes it is worth the effort to reduce the pothole effect, I think. At least, I can't think of any other advantage to the little extension.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12