Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giving the Wick 4AL another chance:

1. Giving the Wick 4AL another chance:

Why?
    To my ears there is something (almost) magical about the sound I can create on the 4AL. Big, open and resonating are words that come to mind. Also when listening to other performers e.g. David Childs or David Thornton I preferred their sound when they still played the 4AL. (Now DC3 and K&G3.5D)
    If I listen to “older” recordings of David Childs (e.g. Celtic Charm) I prefer that sound to the “newer” sound on the DC3 (e.g. The Symphonic Euphonium Vol. 2) David still has a beautiful sound (don’t get me wrong) but to my ears it’s a bit more focused on power and high range.
    Am I the only one that hears and or feels this way about the 4AL?

For some reason I always start loving the 4AL when playing it and after some time I feel the need to switch to something else.

This time I have some major concerts in April and will play the 4AL for at least 4 months.
    Last edited by DutchEupho; 01-07-2020 at 01:30 AM.
    Euphonium: Adams E3 Custom Series (SS Bell)
    Trombone: Benge 175F

2. I am back on 4AL on my Adams E3 which I am using in the New England Brass Band. I use my Doug Elliott on my Sterling. The Sterling is a slightly smaller bell (300mm instead of 12") and sound "warmer" with the DE, at the expense of a bit more effort.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Because of the pressure I use, the K&G 3.5D gives me 90% of the Wick singing sound with 200% more endurance. Obviously I'd love to use the 4AL full time, but the K&G for me is a good compromise.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

I have never tried a DW4AL, but after discovering the K&G mouthpieces I have want I wanted and I don't want to try anything else.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

I kept coming back to my 4AL, and for several years that is all I have used. I also agree about players who have switched to other mp's (David C being one) not sounding quite as good, tone-wise. HOWEVER, David, to continue using him as an example, used to play a very grueling schedule. Now he has other responsibilities that I assume mean he has fewer hours with a mp on his face. That might lead one to switch to something that sound not quite as good but enables them to keep their professional performance. I have the "luxury" of time to ramp up for gigs, and so far the 4AL is fine. If I get more busy playing in the future, I may need to re-think things.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I just received my own standard Wick 4AL, and I do have to say, I like it. I was using a Hammond 11L, and it just seems to have something that the Hammond doesn't. A Richer tone maybe.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

I've had dalliances with any number of pieces but always return to the SM 3.5--it's the only one with the cup width of the SM 3 with the cup depth of the SM 4.
    Fits my big mouth better than any other piece I've ever used...and my horn/mouthpiece journey has taken every great circle route detour known to man as well as several heretofore undiscovered dark alleys.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Said it before, will say it again: MP's are like underwear; we try several before making our choice, and very personal as well.

DG

I'll refrain from re-offering the response
    I gave the last time
    to Highpitch's proverb above.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    I'll refrain from re-offering the response
    I gave the last time
    to Highpitch's proverb above.
    Which would that be, the underwear proverb or the "3 notes and the truth" proverb? Alas, I seemed to have missed your original response.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast