Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Willson Q90

1. Willson Q90

Anyone at ITEC try the Q90? It felt great in the room; very in tune and easy to play, like a Shires Q, but with a deeper and more open feel that I get out of my Willson. I was told that it would be around Q series pricing, so this could be a great buy! Hope they let me try it in a more quiet space, but it’s a great contender so far!

So the Willson Q-series horns are starting to be revealed, eh? That was FAST!

Definitely looking forward to hearing more about them!
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

I wonder how similar the Willson Q-series horns will be to their legacy (now "custom" series?) horns... 2900, 2950, 2960.

I love how Eastman has bridged the gap between quality and affordability (in a completely different way than other chinese manufacturers have done).
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Can someone please explain where the Q series fits in the Willson product line? Does it compete with the Adams Sonic? There’s precious little info on the ‘net.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSchott View Post
    Can someone please explain where the Q series fits in the Willson product line? Does it compete with the Adams Sonic? There’s precious little info on the ‘net.
    The Chinese production line made at Eastman are the Q series instruments…and all the Eastman subsidiaries have them. Bourgeois Q guitars, Haynes Q flutes, Shires Q trumpets, Q trombones, and Q euphoniums, Backun Q clarinets, and now Willson Q euphoniums. It helps to bolster and maintain already good boutique manufacturers, and also builds up the parent company (Eastman)…giving them a leg up on other Asian manufacturers who have access to the same affordable labor and parts, but have inferior design knowledge.
    Last edited by iMav; 06-01-2023 at 03:52 AM.
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    The Chinese production line made at Eastman are the Q series instruments…and all the Eastman subsidiaries have them. Bourgeois Q guitars, Haynes Q flutes, Shires Q trumpets, Q trombones, and Q euphoniums, Backun Q clarinets, and now Willson Q euphoniums. It helps to bolster and maintain already good boutique manufacturers, and also builds up the parent company (Eastman)…giving them a leg up on other Asian manufacturers who have access to the same affordable labor and parts, but have inferior design knowledge.
    There's a potential here for intracompany adverse competition. The Shires euphonium, I have read, was meant to compete with Willson; a modernization and improvement of the Willson design while maintaining the overall tone color (correct me if I'm wrong). Now there will be a Willson Q euphonium competing with the Shires Q euphonium?

The Willson name may justify a higher price, but then again, Shires has a good reputation among professionals (Joe Alessi plays Shires now). So which will be more expensive: Willson Q or Shires Q?
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Quote Originally Posted by dsurkin View Post
    The Willson name may justify a higher price, but then again, Shires has a good reputation among professionals (Joe Alessi plays Shires now). So which will be more expensive: Willson Q or Shires Q?
    The Q-series instruments, by design, are lower cost (mid-tier price wise). So, even though the Q41 was (arguably) inspired by the 2900…it is still more of a budget-friendly option…given the Chinese manufacturing.

Don’t forget that Eastman has their own euphoniums as well… the EEP 426, 526, 822, and 826 models.

I think of them as different items on the same overall Eastman menu. Whichever you choose, Eastman is making money.
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    So the Willson Q-series horns are starting to be revealed, eh? That was FAST!

Definitely looking forward to hearing more about them!
    I'm very confused - I thought the Q41 was supposed to be the Shires horn for Willson 2900 fans - Hiram Diaz and others were supposedly involved in the development. Are these Q90s supposed to be even more Willson like?
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

I just played a little on a Q90. Seems like a good option as a lower cost version of the venerable 2900. medium shack, not as heavy physically as a Wilson 2900. Tone is similar, but not as powerful.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by euphdude View Post
    I'm very confused - I thought the Q41 was supposed to be the Shires horn for Willson 2900 fans - Hiram Diaz and others were supposedly involved in the development. Are these Q90s supposed to be even more Willson like?
    The Q41 is a Shires-branded horn. (Shires-designed, Eastman assembled)
    The Q90 is a Willson-branded horn. (Willson-designed, Eastman assembled)
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast